RMweb

Dapol class 86

HSTcallum

• RMweb Gold

So having seen the pictures, many of you will question the pantograph, so this is the reasoning for what has been fitted.

There is no 'off the shelf' Stone-Faiveley pantograph in N gauge, so a generic single arm pantograph has been fitted. This is not wired for current pick-up, the loco will drive off track pick-up only.

While I understand the reasons I still can't help feeling it is such an obvious spoiler on what is otherwise a lovely looking model. Given the already high cost I would much rather pay a bit more to get the right pantograph rather than a generic European panto. It doesn't look *too* bad for a Stone-Faiveley, but there is no way it passes off for anywhere near any of the locos fitted with a Brecknell-Willis.

This may sound ultra-picky but I had hoped that we had long gone past such compromises in N. For all Dapol's innovation it is a real shame that they have adopted this compromise.

Mike

Hmmm, I hadn't really noticed that the pantograph was incorrect when I saw the modern liveries on Nigel Burkin's blog, but it seemed a bit more obvious on the BR blue models.

I wonder if the Tomix? (or Greenmax?) plastic pantographs would actually be much of an improvement over this? Perhaps an opportunity for some after-market etched cosmetic replacements? Perhaps etched in stainless steel for strength?

Still, I'll definitely buy one if\when Dapol do a model in Anglia Railways livery!

I thought about it - but the Japanese range is so good, and the quality so high that you can find close matches for everything. I'm very surprised Dapol didn't use a Tomix pantograph. I guess lots of folks will be changing the pantographs.

• RMweb Gold

The Sommerfelt pan that Dapol have chosen, isn't too bad, IMO, though not as fine as some of those available from the Japanese market.

It certainly passes muster for a Faively pantograph and just lacks the cross-bracing of the original. It would be interesting to see what people can find to replace this, especially if there is a passable high-speed pan available anywhere. I have a pair of very nice cross-arm units knocking around somewhere - possibly Tomix.

In post #23, it was asked if a picture could be shown of the mechanism, so I hope the following will suffice.

In the centre is the motor with the two flywheels to either side. On the left is the circuit board, whilst the item to the right showing "Top" is the DCC blanking plate with the actual socket being to its left.

In the top left of the picture is the wiring to the lights which is permanently fixed. But as shown in the picture, there is more than enough 'play' in the wiring to allow good access to the chassis.

Also visible, just above the DCC socket is the bodyside clip that needs to be loosed to drop the chassis out, there are 2 of these on either side of the body and it does not take a lot of movement to release these - be warned!

I hope this helps

post-7003-126994709055_thumb.jpg

In post #23, it was asked if a picture could be shown of the mechanism, so I hope the following will suffice.

Many thanks for the pic.

In the centre is the motor with the two flywheels to either side. On the left is the circuit board, whilst the item to the right showing "Top" is the DCC blanking plate with the actual socket being to its left.

Very simlar style to the 67, which is good, hopefully converging on a common style of solution now! Interesting that there is foam on top of the motor - is this to damp noise?

Also interesting that the flywheels aren't brass as on the 67 (or is it blackened brass) - hopefully it's a material as dense or denser than brass.

In the top left of the picture is the wiring to the lights which is permanently fixed. But as shown in the picture, there is more than enough 'play' in the wiring to allow good access to the chassis.

On the 67 the two white sockets at either end allow the lighting to be unclipped. Are they glued up on the 86, as they look identical to the 67..?

Thanks,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Really looking forward to the 86s arriving..........Having waited years for a proper one to be released (my fave AC class) Mind you i have a couple of 87s with ISM class 86 ends but i think they will give way to the new Dapol ones biggrin.gif

The thing i really like about them is that (hopefully) after reading the review on Nigel Burkins site is that they will be released without nameplates fitted - this makes it easier for re-numbering.

My livery wish list is

IC Swallow (Black cab windows) get the paint out.....

IC Swallow with full yellow ends (86206 would be nice but 213 being produced)

IC Exec (86248 would be nice)

Speedlink (866xx)

RFD (86608 etc)

Freigtliner grey (Being produced)

RES (Being produced)

I shall have to study my phots befour getting on with re-numbering etc as remember some of the 86s later on were fitted with the high speed Bracknell willis pan 86207 City of Litchfield in IC is on my list, this has a BW pan fitted.......

Any Ltd edt's on the cards?? I know the blue pair (204 / 241 for C&M) But im sure some of the one off liverys may be popular for early WCML modellers or even Great eastern

86214, 86235 (Rail 150)

86426 Electric Blue (but a mock up by BR as blue was to dark aparently)

86245 (1998 Caledonian Blue / Virgin Trains)

86233 Electric Blue 2002?? Virgin (actually the last class 86 to work a Virgin passenger service in Sept 2003)

And proberly everyones fave...............86401 NSE

86501 Freighliner green, A good one as always runs on its on with liners

These are just some of my (hopefulls) But im sure you guys on here may have your own.................Cheers, Anthony

Hi,

With regards to special editions of the class 86 for future releases.

We at Dapol are currently speaking to a few shops with regards to this, and the ideas for models at the moment include;

Freightliner 'twin packs' (1 x green powered + 1 x triple grey 'dummy' (or the other way around)

The 2 rail 150 loco's

the 2 ETL loco's

and the 2 network rail yellow ones.

However we get the impression that traders are waiting to see if both the 86 and the catenary 'take off' before signing on the dotted line, which is understandable as we do the same from time to time.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Really looking forward to the 86s arriving..........Having waited years for a proper one to be released (my fave AC class) Mind you i have a couple of 87s with ISM class 86 ends but i think they will give way to the new Dapol ones biggrin.gif

The thing i really like about them is that (hopefully) after reading the review on Nigel Burkins site is that they will be released without nameplates fitted - this makes it easier for re-numbering.

My livery wish list is

IC Exec (86248 would be nice)

Speedlink (866xx)

RFD (86608 etc)

Freigtliner grey (Being produced)

RES (Being produced)

I shall have to study my phots befour getting on with re-numbering etc as remember some of the 86s later on were fitted with the high speed Bracknell willis pan 86207 City of Litchfield in IC is on my list, this has a BW pan fitted.......

Any Ltd edt's on the cards?? I know the blue pair (204 / 241 for C&M) But im sure some of the one off liverys may be popular for early WCML modellers or even Great eastern

86214, 86235 (Rail 150)

86245 (1998 Caledonian Blue / Virgin Trains)

86233 Electric Blue 2002?? Virgin (actually the last class 86 to work a Virgin passenger service in Sept 2003)

And proberly everyones fave...............86401 NSE

86501 Freighliner green, A good one as always runs on its on with liners

These are just some of my (hopefulls) But im sure you guys on here may have your own.................Cheers, Anthony

Hi

I would like to see 86235 Novelty with the 150 celebration marking but I don't think it would come out too well in 1/148.

Cheers

Paul

How can you live in Coventry (like me) and not like 86213...? It was a solid performer 20 years ago on the EBW's (abeit in Intercity Executive). Likewise 86209 should be another favourite.

The celebrity "Intercity 21" repaint worn by 86426 was criticised at the time, but Rail Blue was pretty close to the original livery worn by the first few members of the class and alot more accurate than the "ooh, electric blue is so pretty" repaints on 86233 and 86259. My own favourite livery is the Floyd Black and Pink...!!

The celebrity "Intercity 21" repaint worn by 86426 was criticised at the time, but Rail Blue was pretty close to the original livery worn by the first few members of the class and alot more accurate than the "ooh, electric blue is so pretty" repaints on 86233 and 86259.

The first AL6s were in Rail blue, rather than Electric blue, though they did still have the old 'trim' (white cab roofs, cast aluminium lion) - this was remarked on in 'Modern Railways' at the time they came out (1965). Interestingly they didn't have yellow warming panels when delivered. Another livery 'trap' was that the EE Vulcan built locos had red bufferbeams, while the BR Crewe built ones had Rail blue bufferbeams.

Of course, we don't yet have the original style AL6, but hopefully that will come in due course.

• RMweb Gold

How about "Vulcan Heritage" in its Stratford-applied version of exec livery with brown instead of dark grey?

It was a one-off scheme intended as a livery trial for the future IC Swallow variant - they eventually went for Falcon grey, which has a brown-ish hue.

• RMweb Premium

How can you live in Coventry (like me) and not like 86213...? It was a solid performer 20 years ago on the EBW's (abeit in Intercity Executive). Likewise 86209 should be another favourite.

We all had our own favorite loco's in the day.......213 was withdrawn quite early if i remeber and never had alot behind her in traffic. 86209 City of Coventry is another on my list (eventually) But im concentrating more on the early / mid 90s XC examples for my WCML layout to start with. Maybe one day the AC electric group will have 213 back on the mainline again wink.gif

Anyway heres to an exciting wait for there release........

Anthony

86209 City of Coventry is another on my list (eventually)

Anthony

It's main claim to fame (in my view) was surviving a fall down the embankment south of Watford following the collision in early 1975. The Class 83 involved wasn't so foturnate.

• 3 weeks later...

i've seen some pictures of the 86 and i am quite impressed, but i am quite dissapointed, however, of their pantograph sad.gif i was hoping that some of them would be fitted with a brecknell wills high speed pantograph. They'll have to fit these to their forthcomming 92 and pendolinounsure.gif

Have to say that I'm so impressed by what I've seen on here and read on other websites that I'm going to be spending some money on these. Wasn't planning on modelling AC electrics, but with a catenary system (ok, the poles) and nice DCC friendly and well detailed models, I'm putting OO on hold and joining the n gauge mob for a micro layout. Interesting times.

All I'll say is Dapols effort looks a lot better than the mess and lost opportunity that Heljan have with their effort. Well done.

• RMweb Premium

Have to say that I'm so impressed by what I've seen on here and read on other websites that I'm going to be spending some money on these. Wasn't planning on modelling AC electrics, but with a catenary system (ok, the poles) and nice DCC friendly and well detailed models, I'm putting OO on hold and joining the n gauge mob for a micro layout. Interesting times.

All I'll say is Dapols effort looks a lot better than the mess and lost opportunity that Heljan have with their effort. Well done.

Hi

Apart from the pantograph the other thing that lets the Dapol 86 down for me is the Flexicoil springs on the bogie. They arn't big enough the ones on the older Farish 87 look much better although not perfect.

Compare the image in Model Rail of the Heljan and Dapol 86s in this area to see what I mean.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Gang;

Any news on when this is hitting the streets. It has been awfully quiet recently.

Sharing the concerns ref the pantograph. Will judge properly when 86241 arrives!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

Likewise I am Waiting for 86241, from looking at these photos my first thought would be to try to add some sort of 6 leg bracing frame as per the real Faively Panto.

This looks like a sommerfeldt 967 but should look more like the 968 that Howes supply.

Mark

If all has gone to plan, the chassis units should have docked at Southampton yesterday (21st).

Allowing for unloading from the boat, customs clearance, transport up to Chirk, assembly, packing and despatch, we are hoping to get our Blue versions in the 2nd week of May - just in time for the chaos of getting ready for the Dumfries show!

Hi Guys,

Would anybody be able to tell me the hight of the raised pantograph from the track level as i need to cut a hole in my back scene to fit the loco through.

I am also after the hight of the catenery.

thanks in advance

Alistair

If you are running the 86 under the Dapol catenary masts, you will not want the raise the pantograph to its full height, or you will demolish the masts, or the pantograph.

The height of the catenary masts will be known when they are released, presumably they will arrive in the shops at the same time as the standard range Class 86s.

A very rough and ready test with one of our 86s and the pantograph as supplied, i.e: so it will not raise to full height and whilst standing on Peco track had an overall height from track base to top of pantograph of just under 40mm.

Hi Guys,

Would anybody be able to tell me the hight of the raised pantograph from the track level as i need to cut a hole in my back scene to fit the loco through.

I am also after the hight of the catenery.

thanks in advance

Alistair

You don't need a big hole, surely a ramp could be used for the pan to ride under to clear low obstacles...?