Dapol class 86

HSTcallum

Hi Gang;

There may finally be some (head)light(s) at the end of the tunnel. Mike from C&M has e-mailed me to confirm my address with the hope that the locos will be with him next week.

Later;

STU from EGDL

Stu,

Our intention is to get all the pre-paid orders out of the way as soon as possible, so that includes yourself.

We have Dumfries show on May 15th/16th, and our usual help is away over that time, so orders where payment has yet to be made might have to wait a few days longer.

Needless to say, we will be as quick as we can. I suspect that Dave will also send us a rather large bill to pay, as well as the locos!

Given previous comments about the pantograph, one of my first tasks would be to try to create some sort of 'cats cradle' frame for the pantograph. Thats unless anybody out there who likes to produce etches, fancies having a go at this one using the frame supplied with the Howes/Sommerfeldt pan as a scaled template?

Anybody?

Rgds

Mark

C&M Models is now packed to the rafters with N Gauge Class 86s. As well as our BR Blue ones, the InterCity, Virgin and Freightliner versions are also now with us.

Many thanks to Dave and everyone else at Dapol for making our project a reality.

....now to pack a few parcels! blink.gif

does anyone know whether the 86's are going to be a series of limited runs or is there going to be enough for everyone. i am going to order a virgin livery one this morning but i can't afford a freightliner one till the midle of next month. i really need them both for my wcml layout. my virgin mk3 and dvt are waiting.

The various variants of the 86s will be a one-off production run of any particular number. So, if 86.213 in InterCity livery proved popular and sold quickly, another run of InterCity 86s would probably be produced, but with a different running number.

However, considering the timescales you are talking about, any decent model shop will hold a model back for you for a few weeks, possibly against a small deposit.

Hi All;

My 86241 arrived safely this morning from C&M Models...so thanks Mike!!

A quick once over and it looks ok...previous postings ref the pan & flexicoil duly noted. The supplied Shawplan nameplates look very good too.

Will get it lubricated and on to the test track a little later after some domesticness has taken place!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

post-6763-127331436551.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi All;

My 86241 arrived safely this morning from C&M Models...so thanks Mike!!

A quick once over and it looks ok...previous postings ref the pan & flexicoil duly noted. The supplied Shawplan nameplates look very good too.

Will get it lubricated and on to the test track a little later after some domesticness has taken place!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

post-6763-127331436551.jpg

Hi

Mine too has arrived and it is a wonderful model. I am very pleased with mine, which runs beautifully. The flexicoil suspension doesn't actually look as bad in the flesh as it did in the photos. Looking forward hopefully to 86235 in the 150th celebrations livery.

Cheers

Paul

Thats my Blue 86 arrived and as has been said earlier generally I'm very pleased.

The flexicoils I can live with but I'll really need to do some work on the pan' The bottom arm doesn't move, and still doesn't move after loosening the mounting screw.

I think the link between the base and the upper arm needs to be shortened to allow the both halves of the pan to move somewhere closer to symmetrical.

Hopefully I wont break this in the process or its an order to BEC kits for a replacement.

If I succeed I'll let you all know

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Received my 86213 in IC Swallow livery today. Very impressed, though it will get a little tweaking (new pan, dark grey around the front windows and a bit of grot). Here's a few piccies out of the box.

post-7123-127369824511.jpg

post-7123-127369829708_thumb.jpg

post-7123-127369840021_thumb.jpg

post-7123-127369841233_thumb.jpg

Dapol 86 with DVT and Farish 90

I just received my IC 86 - nice loco but looks bereft without name plates. Does anybody know who does 'Lancashire Witch' nameplates? It was bad enough with the Cl 67s having put the nameplates on yourself but at least they were provided!

I just received my IC 86 - nice loco but looks bereft without name plates. Does anybody know who does 'Lancashire Witch' nameplates? It was bad enough with the Cl 67s having put the nameplates on yourself but at least they were provided!

Hi There;

There should be plates in the box. If not, get another one from the retailer.....

Later;

STU from EGDL

• RMweb Gold

My plates were tucked away underneath the box insert. The Dapol locos have a lot of packaging, so it's a good idea to take everything apart to see what goodies lie within! rolleyes.gif

The Intercity 86 looks even better with dark grey window surrounds...

I've had a quick trawl through Fotopic and not found any photos of 86213 as modelled, could someone enlighten me please...?

There's a bit of a story as to why it's in unbranded Intercity, it was off lease but painted into Virgin by mistake (along with 86228), and quickly painted back into IC but without the italic lettering or swallow.

This picture seems to fit the bill pretty well.

http://andy-gibbs.fotopic.net/p57007618.html

Apart from the yellow cab window surrounds, Dapol have done a fine job with the livery here.

I'm not saying I regard the yellow windscreen surrounds is an issue, as although it's it's a bit of a slip on what is otherwise the best RTR class 86, it's easily corrected. Unless there were any oddities, it's only the Intercity Mainline livery that had that style of front end.

• RMweb Gold

I still have no hesitation in recommending this model and I really don't have an issue with the window surrounds (though I'm a bit of an obsessive about IC livery biggrin.gif).

I corrected this with a fine brush and some Railmatch acrylic Exec Dark Grey in about 20 minutes - that's what modelling's all about. I've also painted the orange TDM pipe covers in a lighter shade of orange, which is also a big improvement. Just the pantograph to go, when I can source something from Japan that fits the bill.

That said, the Dapol pantograph actually isn't as bad as some commentators have said and it looks fine alongside the Sommerfelt one used on the Farish AC 'leccies.

Here's hoping that we see some of the earlier variants on Intercity / Executive livery - there is so much choice, as each loco seemed unique at some stage or other!

• RMweb Premium

Adam, The work you have done to 213 looks ace....Still not managed to get a couple yet!! After having to have some work done to the car and also me bike!! Will get a couple next month.

My plan is to have 1 as 86206 City of Stoke on Trent (keep the full yellow ends, but paint the buffer beams red) and the other re-numbered to a later XC example (paint the window surrounds exec dark grey same as you) Maybe 207 City of Litchfield........Im also hopeing for an early ic mainline example. Need to check me photos as i want to model 206 as it was 92 / 94 time, unsure whether it has the lower cream shade or later IC white

Cheers, Anthony

HI All

I got two Freightliner ones last week, I intend to paint one into triple grey freightliner, I have to admit its a nice model.

The only thing Ive changed is the screw holding on the pantograph is to long, and this is stopping the lower arm raising up like it should.I fixed it by putting small washers to hold the screw down a little.

Regards Arran

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested.

I recently enquired about dummy freightliner 86s, and twin packs for those wishing to run prototypical Freightliner container trains.

Dapols response was that 2010 Catalogue releases remain priority, so anything outside of this will not be on the cards until next year.

Aside from that, they were optimistic that such products may well appear.

Regards