Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Yes Ian, the OCD strikes again!

You will be pleased to hear that I am edging ever closer towards getting the cladding on the outside. 2016 will hopefully be the year when Boxenby gets some attention to the outside of the shed!

Looking forward Alex I have shares invested in the Evergreen Sheet Company :D

Ian

Have you found anyone who does the depot internal down lights that are down each lane and hang from the metal rods spanning down?

Hi Bridgewatersteve, do you mean the ones in the below:

8587370608_341d8c8d85.jpg12-9-92 Toton 58 014 and 58 012 by Barnsleyrailboy, on Flickr

Cav, RBE on here, kindly helped me to get some industrial high bay lights 3D printed;

16415541796_bb362b521c.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16439752861_03ea77abee.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16415541726_c3bbc6be38.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

I hope to get them painted and installed in the shed over the next few months.

Hope that helps.

• Like 5

Looking forward Alex I have shares invested in the Evergreen Sheet Company :D

Ian

I wish I did, it is going to be quite expensive covering the outside of the shed. Should have saved my pocket money years ago in preparation!

After working on the inside of the shed recently and seeing the change that it has made has really got me excited about getting this project finished. I am really looking forward to getting the shed back on the board to see how it looks.

Hopefully in 2016 we will see a similar scene to this one but at Boxenby:

8725445305_828fb98fd6.jpgToton panoramic view by Grid56006, on Flickr

• Like 5

Happy New Year Class60lover!

That is very kind of you to offer, thank you, very much appreciated.

I cannot remember of the top of my head, but it is something like Evergreen metal siding, I will have a look tomorrow. As I am edging ever closer to the point where I will need to start purchasing the sheets, I am now saving up my pocket money!

Hi Bridgewatersteve, do you mean the ones in the below:

8587370608_341d8c8d85.jpg12-9-92 Toton 58 014 and 58 012 by Barnsleyrailboy, on Flickr

Cav, RBE on here, kindly helped me to get some industrial high bay lights 3D printed;

16415541796_bb362b521c.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16439752861_03ea77abee.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16415541726_c3bbc6be38.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

I hope to get them painted and installed in the shed over the next few months.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Would love to get some like that for my depot.

Any idea if he has any available?

Steve

• Like 1

Over the weekend I managed to get a bit more work done on weathering the inside of the shed and now I think it is pretty much completed. I am currently working on the pipework and hope to get the research and design sorted out this week allowing me to start production soon.
Here is how it is looking:
A view towards the rear of the shed looking down the raised roof area above what will be roads 13 to 15:

23685879004_6b30b3f5c0.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

South entrance looking at the wall by road 4:

23946278529_f4792e784e.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

I am keen to see how the weathered walls look once the roof sections have been put on as these greatly reduce the amount of light that enters the shed, hopefully it will look okay.
In addition, I have been working on what I presume is some sort of extractor system, see below photos, the extractor units can be seen suspended near the walls. For these I have purchased some small air con units from Unit models and I am in the process of making some ducting for the rear of them. Once the weather improves I can then get the industrial high bay lights painted and weathered.

6208474962_e31e747e3d.jpgToton by Kerry Parker, on Flickr

13975730472_e6c111e505.jpg60017  Arenig Fawr by Marcus, on Flickr

14284237046_7bd8f730b0.jpg56010 on the jacks at Toton by Awwalker1, on Flickr

8144277611_b0d252688d.jpg20173 and 20088 at Toton by Awwalker1, on Flickr

14810328782_b60d844548.jpgClass 56s inside the shed at Toton, April 1990 by Awwalker1, on Flickr

My plan is to get the pipework, extractors and industrial lights all fitted before moving on to the outside of the shed. Whilst there are other detailing bits that need adding, electrical boxes and ducting, I think that the main features will be there. Once the depot floor is finished and in position, I can then add the final detailing bits.

• Like 5

Over the weekend I managed to get a bit more work done on weathering the inside of the shed and now I think it is pretty much completed. I am currently working on the pipework and hope to get the research and design sorted out this week allowing me to start production soon.

Here is how it is looking:

A view towards the rear of the shed looking down the raised roof area above what will be roads 13 to 15:

23685879004_6b30b3f5c0.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

South entrance looking at the wall by road 4:

23946278529_f4792e784e.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

I am keen to see how the weathered walls look once the roof sections have been put on as these greatly reduce the amount of light that enters the shed, hopefully it will look okay.

In addition, I have been working on what I presume is some sort of extractor system, see below photos, the extractor units can be seen suspended near the walls. For these I have purchased some small air con units from Unit models and I am in the process of making some ducting for the rear of them. Once the weather improves I can then get the industrial high bay lights painted and weathered.

6208474962_e31e747e3d.jpgToton by Kerry Parker, on Flickr

13975730472_e6c111e505.jpg60017  Arenig Fawr by Marcus, on Flickr

14284237046_7bd8f730b0.jpg56010 on the jacks at Toton by Awwalker1, on Flickr

8144277611_b0d252688d.jpg20173 and 20088 at Toton by Awwalker1, on Flickr

14810328782_b60d844548.jpgClass 56s inside the shed at Toton, April 1990 by Awwalker1, on Flickr

My plan is to get the pipework, extractors and industrial lights all fitted before moving on to the outside of the shed. Whilst there are other detailing bits that need adding, electrical boxes and ducting, I think that the main features will be there. Once the depot floor is finished and in position, I can then add the final detailing bits.

You have the inner wall weathering just right Alex - Diesel smoke deposits sticking to the surfaces - similar to a Machine Shop I was in where coolant smoke from mineral oils tended to coat the cladding in a nicotine type gunge.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

Hi Ian, thank you, I am very pleased with how it has turned out. Pretty much the look that I had hoped to achieve. Very relieved….
If I am being totally honest, I was very apprehensive before starting on the weathering, the thought of ruining the walls and in turn damaging the look of the inside of the shed had me worried!
I don’t know if it was because it had been quite a while since the inside of the shed had received any attention or just the fact that I was really happy with the walls and didn’t want to do any damage. With power to all the roads and the floor ready for painting and weathering, I didn’t want any issues to occur which would set me back. Having made good progress, I was nervous about putting the washes on the walls and ruining all the good work that I was happy with.
Still, all done and happy with the results.

Now to get the pipework and extractors added, then I can start purchasing the cladding for the outside! Hope interest rates stay low….

• Like 1

Members that follow my thread will know that I am fairly keen on Type 5 Traction, especially the lovely Brush class 60.

As Chritmas approached I had planned to add a couple of Hornby locos to my list, namely Large Logo 56084 and newly released 60090 in Coal Sector livery. The former has been on my list for quite some time but I have not purchased one as funds have been spent on the layout and in particular getting the depot floor right. I have been looking forward to both models and when 60090 was released I was disappointed. Sector livery 60s have been in short supply from Hornby since they released the model with 60062 in Petroleum the only previous version. It is a real shame to see the model as I had been really looking forward to getting one, well a few actually as Boxenby will be a Coal Sector depot! But alas not…..

In my opinion, Hornby’s class 60 is one of the best RTR diesel locomotives available to 4mm scale modellers, if not the best. And before anyone says it, yes I know, I am slightly biased!
Whilst I have not seen the latest SLW class 24, which I hear is a very nice model and rated highly, as I am not an expert on this class, I am not in a position to comment. However, it does look good, but then again so does Dapol’s class 73!

Hornby’s Brush Beast in Metals, my favourite class 60!

24051602599_6d8df430e6.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

So where am I going with this? Well, I have always thought that Hornby’s class 60 model would take some beating in my view. However, I think I might have just found it!

When Heljan announced that they were going to produce a 7mm scale class 60, I always knew that this really would test my resolve! But being honest, I knew it would be extremely hard not to resist, give in and get one. I was not wrong!

The disappointment of Hornby’s 60090 has been well and truly offset by the excitement and happiness of a Heljan triple grey class 60! It really is a fantastic model.

24123805470_d0e1cd7c02.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

24311158582_e0256c5a26.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

Might have to get an N gauge one to complete the set!

I am not sure if it is just the sheer size of it, or just the incredible detail, but whatever it is, I am over the moon with it. Well done Heljan, and a big thank you from a very happy customer.

Now despite trying not to get distracted, well I have still managed to keep working on Boxenby, there are already plans afoot for a small 7mm layout. A little way off yet, but hopefully a couple of boards will be built over the coming months. More on that in the future.

I really must remain focused on Boxenby and not get too distracted by O gauge modelling…….

• Like 5

l I have still managed to keep working on Boxenby, there are already plans afoot for a small 7mm layout. A little way off yet, but hopefully a couple of boards will be built over the coming months. More on that in the future.

I really must remain focused on Boxenby and not get too distracted by O gauge modelling…….

Hi Alex,

Good luck with resisting the O gauge stuff......  I'm finding it impossible!!

Please keep going with Boxenby though, your are getting so close to having the shed placed on a layout now.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Ian, thank you, I am very pleased with how it has turned out. Pretty much the look that I had hoped to achieve. Very relieved….

If I am being totally honest, I was very apprehensive before starting on the weathering, the thought of ruining the walls and in turn damaging the look of the inside of the shed had me worried!

I don’t know if it was because it had been quite a while since the inside of the shed had received any attention or just the fact that I was really happy with the walls and didn’t want to do any damage. With power to all the roads and the floor ready for painting and weathering, I didn’t want any issues to occur which would set me back. Having made good progress, I was nervous about putting the washes on the walls and ruining all the good work that I was happy with.

Still, all done and happy with the results.

Now to get the pipework and extractors added, then I can start purchasing the cladding for the outside! Hope interest rates stay low….

Ha ha - Toy trains....

The Stress :D

Been there - my father knew a chap who built a lovely A4 Pacific only for it to be let down with a substandard spray job and line.

Seriously nice 60 there Alex aren't they the buisiness - love to bring one home but divorce proceedings will probably commence.

Taking delivery of the first LIMA Coal 60 next week  - £38 - match that against the Helly one -  for the new Class 60 themed layout  "Weekend - Somewhere in the Midlands" although an 8 week old Border Terrier has put a stop to any progress for the foreseeable.

An absolute livery howler by Heljan on the LOADHAUL 60 - not easily rectifiable either.

Ian

The new 60 looks very nice, why are you disappointed with the Hornby 60090 though?

Hi Mr Britfarmer, it is the colours that Hornby have used on their version of the triple grey, if you have a look at this thread it has been discussed:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106734-class-60-quinag/

Also mentioned in this thread about their TransRail 60005:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104438-r3267xs-class-60-005-transrail-triple-grey/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2114207

A shame really as I was looking forward to getting one. It isn't the end of the world as you can respray the respective greys but it would have been nice if Hornby had got it right in the first place.

Hi Alex,

Good luck with resisting the O gauge stuff......  I'm finding it impossible!!

Please keep going with Boxenby though, your are getting so close to having the shed placed on a layout now.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee, yes I can see why you are finding it difficult to resist! I quite fancy a pair of 20s......stop it!

I remember seeing Brian Daniels' excellent O gauge locos on display at Warley a good few years ago, that was my first real introduction to 7mm and I was seriously impressed! At the time I thought how good they looked and the detail, I think that was when the seeds were planted!

Don't worry Boxenby is my priority, after six years working on it, I am determined to get it finished. As you say, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully this year we will see big steps forward. I really want to see locos in and around the finished shed, recreating the scenes I remember as a boy. I am still very much obsessed with my mini-Toton!

I am focused......remain focused.....think 4mm.....

Hi Mr Britfarmer, it is the colours that Hornby have used on their version of the triple grey, if you have a look at this thread it has been discussed:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106734-class-60-quinag/

Also mentioned in this thread about their TransRail 60005:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104438-r3267xs-class-60-005-transrail-triple-grey/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2114207

A shame really as I was looking forward to getting one. It isn't the end of the world as you can respray the respective greys but it would have been nice if Hornby had got it right in the first place.

I don't know why everyone has to debate livery colours ad infinitum. The colours for triple grey are Rail Grey, Flint Grey and Executive Dark Grey. It always seems to be the roof colours that get the most amount of people confused. I think it is because on photos of the real thing, roofs are often more than not refecting the sky and look a lot lighter. Look at the top half of the bodyside in intercity liveries locos and thats your sector roof colour end of chat. On the thread you linked to I actually think that 090 is much much nearer the correct colour than 077 although maybe a tad dark but not much. The transrail one was miles off, way too light. Edited by RBE

Hi Cav, as I mentioned on one of those threads, cannot remember which one, there is enough information on the Internet to allow these companies to get the livery colours correct. Double Arrow for example has the livery colour BR specification sheets, so there really is no excuse for getting the colours wrong.

Alex,

You will need to save a small fortune for all the OO gauge class 20's that you'll need!!!  That might help you focus  :mosking:

Cheers

Lee

You are not wrong, problem is that it isn't just class 20s I need. Looking at my list of locos on shed from when we visited Toton in Feb 1988, there were more that 40 locos outside and 25 inside. That is a lot!

Certainly keeps you focused!

Ha ha - Toy trains....

The Stress :D

Been there - my father knew a chap who built a lovely A4 Pacific only for it to be let down with a substandard spray job and line.

Seriously nice 60 there Alex aren't they the buisiness - love to bring one home but divorce proceedings will probably commence.

Taking delivery of the first LIMA Coal 60 next week  - £38 - match that against the Helly one -  for the new Class 60 themed layout  "Weekend - Somewhere in the Midlands" although an 8 week old Border Terrier has put a stop to any progress for the foreseeable.

An absolute livery howler by Heljan on the LOADHAUL 60 - not easily rectifiable either.

Ian

Sad isn't it? All over some toy trains! I need to get a grip.....

They are lovely models, Heljan really has done a great job on it. I am not sure which one I prefer though!

Hornby's effort looks quite small when sat next to the 7mm beast!

I like the sound of your future layout "Somwehere in the Midlands", right up my street.

Hi Mr Grimley,

Just to say I'm not at all impressed with your new 60'.........much !

I mean, how could you, it'll never fit on your wheel lathe.......or through your shed doors ?

Now, seriously, have you tried 'recreating the photo' yet ? Where you take a pic and then try to set it up in model form to see if the model 'looks' right ?

When the family have smashed the mojo out of me and I can't be assed to do anything constructive, this is something I do just to confirm the look of things and have to say it is great when it shows up as being just right.

Again, I'm loving your Boxenby thread, but, also the photos of the real thing are very much keeping me tuned in here.

All the best, keep up your inspirational work please.......

Kindest Regards,

Shed.