Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Yes some shots this weekend please Alex.

Nearly coming up to Boxenby anniversary next month.

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:38

Whilst doing some planning for Grimley depot I was thinking about putting a lightweight overhead crane (as per the ones normally found in many of the small maintenance depots around the country) in the other shed. Then I got thinking that this would stop me having the new Bachmann lifting jacks, unless I just had one road with the overhead crane. This then got me thinking of perhaps having a larger depot shed and my thoughts turned to Toton?

Ian

Will do Ian!

I know it is scary to think that it will be 6 years next month. Have I really been working on it for that long? How on earth have I managed to stick with working on just one project?!!!!

Glad it's all coming together for you bud, just a little testing wouldn't hurt ;)

David

Thanks David, I agree. Surely we are allowed some enjoyment from this hobby of ours!

Despite a busy weekend I still managed to get some modelling done. Unfortunately our broadband has been down for the majority of the weekend so I have been unable to upload any photos.

Recently I have been looking at the main platform which sits at the rear of the shed directly behind the dead end road inspection platforms. Whilst I couldn’t quite put my finger on what the issue was, I just wasn’t happy with how it looked. So I thought it best to revisit and start again.
A slight redesign and now the construction of the new platform is well underway. I am hoping to get this finished during the week.

22642006758_ff1c9ccf8c.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

23060440345_eb133aa0dd.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22437619944_49b5c2995a.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

With some help from Will, we managed to come up with a test piece for the concrete section that holds the rails between the inspection pits inside the shed and the concrete sleeper track outside.

23034404486_a976b70b43.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

23071602561_bdf8c3583e.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

23060418975_7b8088023d.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

23071559891_8e92121348.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22598359537_d353e1647c.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22598377198_6d2d16a261.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

23003226632_6c2a2786cb.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22395506133_75332e1e6d.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

I have to say that this is probably my favourite part of the depot so far which is rather strange considering the different individual projects that have gone before it. Whilst not that big a deal and very simple modelling, I really wanted the rails in the concrete to look right as it is very noticeable and a feature of most depots. In my opinion, it was very important to get this particular feature right so that it just blends in with the whole surroundings and is believable. Perhaps I am over emphasising the importance but that is just what I think.

Here are a couple of photos of the test piece in position:

23060381555_c66241c1ae.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22437568114_0566d7da52.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

This to me really does replicate a concrete floor. I am so pleased with how it has turned out, this is much better than I could have hoped to achieve.

A photo of the shed back on the main board. I will take more photos over the coming days including some of the inside of the shed.

22439165963_95928d6e88.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

• Like 8

Until you put the shed back on you forget exactly how big it is.

You said how sad is it you get excited.have to admit I get excited about your posts and it's not even my project and I'm 36. I completely understand as will all that follow I'm sure.

It's looking amazing keep up the good work

Looking superb

David

Thanks David. I am looking forward to getting the track down.

I always look forward to updates.

Thanks Jeff, I am glad that you enjoy reading my updates.

Until you put the shed back on you forget exactly how big it is.

You said how sad is it you get excited.have to admit I get excited about your posts and it's not even my project and I'm 36. I completely understand as will all that follow I'm sure.

It's looking amazing keep up the good work

Hi Class60lover, It is strange but good to see the shed back in position, especially as for the past few months it has been sat on the other board. Thanks, it is nice to know that people enjoy my thread.

I suppose I have got used to it although now working with it sat on the floor does make me think about the sheer scale of this project. I try not to think about how big it will be once all the boards are joined up!

Looks amazing with the shed back in situ. Forgot how big it actually was. Seriously impressive mate.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus, I am really pleased with the recent progress that has been made. Starting to feel that nearly six years of working on it is starting to pay off! Sometimes I do wonder if perhaps N gauge would have been a better option!

I am a big fan of Martin Loader’s HondaWanderer.com and always look forward to his updates. This morning I saw that this excellent shot had been uploaded:

http://www.hondawanderer.com/50007_50033_Toton_1992.htm

One day I would like to have a four track mainline running alongside the depot, perhaps this scene could be recreated! Although just having the depot finished seems a long way off….

I hope to take some up to date photos later in the week.

Superb picture Grimley. I was actually on that tour from Cheltenham. November 1992 if I remember rightly without looking in my books. Martin Loader does take some great photos and he has done some excellent books as well.

Think you made the right choice with OO as it is something a bit special being the size that it is and the level of detail thats been added. Most people wouldn't even contemplate it in OO!!

Look forward to the next instalment.

Cheers

Marcus

Superb picture Grimley. I was actually on that tour from Cheltenham. November 1992 if I remember rightly without looking in my books. Martin Loader does take some great photos and he has done some excellent books as well.

Think you made the right choice with OO as it is something a bit special being the size that it is and the level of detail thats been added. Most people wouldn't even contemplate it in OO!!

Look forward to the next instalment.

Cheers

Marcus

That must have been a good day out, double headed Hoovers, nice!

He certainly does take great photos, always enjoy catching up on his recent uploads. It is like a time machine his site, taking you back to the BR days.....

Well as I have just said, it is a bit late now to contemplate a gauge change! I mean, I would have to be completely mad to even consider it......

I actually think it works better in 4mm scale. You would have a lot of issues trying to look inside the depot in 2mm scale. 7mm would have been even better tbh.

To be honest Cav, once the fuel point and the sidings out the front are added, you probably won't be able to see much of the inside anyway. Especially if all the doors are closed!

Seeing the new Heljan class 60, a 7mm Boxenby filled with them would be SUPERB! :locomotive:

Whilst out in the train room last night I took a couple of photos looking inside the shed, please excuse the crude nature of them! There is a lot of detail missing; girders; pipes; dummy lights; rear platform; internal buildings; wheel lathe etc.; rear corner door; the list goes on and on, which makes me realise just how much work I still have to do once the floor is finished!
It has been quite a while since I took any photos of the inside so it is nice to see the floor in position and get a feel for this part of the project. Whilst not the best photos and with not a great deal to see, hopefully it gives an idea of what I am trying to achieve.

22514377494_ba9ac3681d.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22816914750_cfcf1222b7.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

I am hoping to get the concrete sections that have the rails on completed this weekend.

• Like 9

That really does look superb Alex.

The new Heljan class 60 does look nice. Don't like the side grilles at all but I could certainly do an etch for them.

If I was very rich I'd get one for the hell of it I think.

That really does look superb Alex.

The new Heljan class 60 does look nice. Don't like the side grilles at all but I could certainly do an etch for them.

If I was very rich I'd get one for the hell of it I think.

Thanks Cav, it will look better once painted and weathered. Oh and full of 20s, 56s, 58s and 60s.....

I have been looking at the photos of the triple grey version, it does indeed look very nice. I am struggling to resist being a Brush Beast fan......although I would have to be completely mad to buy one! :scratchhead: :senile: :jester:

Over the weekend we managed to get some of the concrete sections ready, not as many as I had hoped but nonetheless good progress. Unfortunately I ran out of chairs so couldn’t get them all finished. More chairs have been ordered from C&L which will hopefully arrive later this week allowing the rest to be made up.
A few photos of progress:

23239550495_0573096c29.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22871600839_2e9ceee3dc.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

The excess glue will be removed.

Once all the concrete sections have been made up, I can then put them in position and take some photos of locos sat on track outside the front of the shed. Hopefully next weekend!

• Like 2