Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Dave, glad that you like my silly project! I have left you a couple of glue pots on the shelf!

You are right the lifting jacks are superb but not designed for mad modellers like us that want to actually use them! I think a Hornby 60 will need to be stripped down so that it weighs next to nothing in order to allow one of the jacks to be used. It may also have to be permanently attached to the jacks, still that is a long way off for me!

Over the weekend I managed to spend a few hours on the inspection pits, they are now all glued together and yesterday evening put in place. So far I have to say that I am pleased with how they look. I am hoping to start work on those that have concrete sides later in the week.

Here are a few photos of the inspection pits in position:

IMG_3444s.jpg

IMG_3446s.jpg

IMG_3447s.jpg

IMG_3453s.jpg

Decided to get a few locos out to see how the pits look with some traction sitting on top:

IMG_3477s.jpg

IMG_3455s.jpg

IMG_3457s.jpg

IMG_3458s.jpg

IMG_3480s.jpg

Dave, I noticed that IKB has arrived safely, now sitting on Road 12!

IMG_3459s.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Grimley,

Looks like you have been busy, it's looking good. Having all the loco's on shed certainly gives a good idea of how mad you are.laugh.gif wink.gif

Cheers Peter.

Hi Grimley,

Looks like you have been busy, it's looking good. Having all the loco's on shed certainly gives a good idea of how mad you are.laugh.gif wink.gif

Cheers Peter.

You are not wrong Peter, on a scale of one to ten I must be 10! tongue.gif

I might need to borrow some of your stock to fill the depot up!

Thanks Jack. It was the tail end of last year and I started to think about Grimley depot and in particular the second shed, which was due to have some Bachmann lifting jacks in as the other one had extractors. After looking at some photos of Thornaby depot this got me wanting to add some sort of light weight overhead crane but this would then not allow me to have the lifting jacks. My plan was to have a loco up off its bogies, so this got me thinking how good it would be to have a larger depot thus allowing me more room to accommodate my ideas.

My attention then turned to Toton, a depot which has always fascinated me ever since I first learnt of its existence back in the mid-eighties. To cut a long story short, I then came up with some rough drawings to see how big a model of that depot would be in 00 and was not put off! So here we are six months later……blink.gif biggrin.gif

You are not wrong Peter, on a scale of one to ten I must be 10! tongue.gif

I might need to borrow some of your stock to fill the depot up!

Hi Grimley,

I reckon at least 11laugh.gif most of us are about 7or8 .biggrin.gif

If you want stock I will post some overlaugh.gif If I come over next year I will bring some and deliver them in person.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, let me know if you do come over and you can bring some stock. Hopefully I will have made quite a bit of progress by then!!

Thanks MM, yes should look good although there is quite a big job ahead to get it done! Not overly looking forward to it!

Thanks Leon, I have to use my current day stock at present as I don’t have enough 80s locos! But don’t worry it will be 1988 with BR blue and Railfreight or 1992 with a good mixture of liveries! You are right that was 56006 which sneaked in!

Thanks Stuart, I am thinking perhaps I should have ventured into N gauge!

Don’t worry when the right plan comes along you will! Keep persevering…..at least you are not mad like me!

I have managed to do some work on the inspection pits and in particular filling in the sides where the floor is lower. Plastic square tube was used to fill in the side. This was glued in place and although there is a small gap (between the top of the tube and the bottom of the inspection pit) this will be filled in using model filler. Hopefully I can do that this week, rub it down and then give it a coat of white primer. The lower floor will then be raised up slightly to just above the bottom of the plastic tube.

A few photos of progress:

IMG_3517s.jpg

IMG_3516s.jpg

IMG_3513s.jpg

IMG_3522s.jpg

IMG_3533s.jpg

• Like 2

Hiya Mr Grimley,

Just wanted to say, you are well on the way, if not there already, to achieving the ultimate illusion ( IMHO ) for a TMD layout, that is the illusion of being there yourself and walking around amongst the Loco's.

The pictures already look stunning.........keep up the inspiration please........

Dave

Thanks for the kind comments Dave, much appreciated. There is a long way to go but it is nice to know that you approve so far. Hopefully one day I can achieve something that looks acceptable, but not convinced yet!

This week I have spent a few hours, well quite a few hours actually…filling in the gap between the bottom of the inspection pit and the plastic tube. I used Squadron Products white putty, two coats were applied and rubbed down once dry using wet and dry. Hopefully once painted they should look ok.

Here are a few photos:

IMG_3540s.jpg

IMG_3539s.jpg

IMG_3553s.jpg

IMG_3546s.jpg

This is how it should look once the floor has been raised up to cover the bottom of the pits.

IMG_3556s.jpg

Next the 10 inspection pits will be primed using white plastic primer.

• Like 2

Proper job there Grimley. Those choppers look far too clean though.blink.gif smile.gif laugh.gif

Will the depot feature just loco's or will you be running wagons and units into the shed for maintenance as well?

Hi Tom, yes they do look better now made up! Glad that you like it, will hopefully have some more photos later.

Thanks Baggie, yes the choppers are far too clean. One day when I have a spare few minutes will weather them!

My plan is to just accommodate locos although saying that I have seen quite a few photos of DMUs, Sprinters and HAAs on shed so may well do that just to give a bit of variety. Also it might look quite good having a DMU or 150 inside! ….Oh and a few MGRs!

Thanks James. Once I have finished working on the eleven inspection pits I am going to make a start on covering the inside of the shed building. Hopefully you won’t be too disappointed!

Well after spending a good few hours on filling in the sides of the inspection pits, they were sprayed with primer and on close inspection I was not happy with them at all. They just didn’t look right. Very disappointed…..(slight understatement!!)

Why is it that you spend hours working on something only to be disappointed and frustrated before stumbling across a better way of doing it than in the first place?! Very annoying….

Whilst trying to sort out why it didn’t look right I then realised why and duly made amends, which naturally meant more time being spent on it (Mrs. Grimley wasn’t best pleased) but I think it will be worth it in the end. Nearly there with some minor adjustments but I am almost happy with them, hopefully later I can give them a coat of primer.

Well a couple of extra hours extra were spent on getting the final finish right and have to say that I am pleased with the result, well worth the time and effort. Despite me getting annoyed the other day! The pits were given a couple of coats of Halfords white plastic primer this morning and then put back on the board.

After returning from watching the A team with the family I quickly took a couple of photos of progress. The tops of the rails need cleaning which hopefully will be done tomorrow.

Here you can see the pit wall with the floor raised up although it still needs to be about 1mm higher.

IMG_3563s.jpg

To show how it looks with a loco sitting on it, here is 60076:

IMG_3574s.jpg

IMG_3578s.jpg

Now to weather them all…..I will leave that until just before the floor goes in. Quite a few other jobs to do first!

My plan now is to start covering the inside of the depot building……..

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

I am still amazed by this mad project of yours as you put it! With all that stock in position though it gives you a real taste of the vast space you have to fill! Your fleet looks really good all parked up on shed with the weathering to bring them to life. I have a Heljan 47 that I fitted with a smoke unit that would add some clag for you!

Keep up the good work - very impressive!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks it is nice to get some locos out and put them in position just to see how it looks.

Wow, what is the smoke unit like, is it any good? You are more than welcome any time, although it may be a while before the depot is ready for it! biggrin.gif

Well I have a confession to make and I am not pleased with myself. I have finally cracked and purchased some 80s stock for Boxenby…what a bad boy! angry.gif biggrin.gif

No will power!!!.....tongue.gif

56049, 58037 and 58041 have just arrived on shed. Original Railfreight livery is how I remember the 58s best and in my opinion that suited them best. Red-stripe Railfreight also suited the Grids and I have been after 049 for a while but had resisted up until now! Please Hornby can we have a Large Logo version next year!

Today I cleaned off the white primer from the rail tops and positioned the pits in place. I also started work on the lower floor area between the pits and although a couple of the pits are leaning a bit this will be addressed when they are glued firmly in place. I will make sure that the floor and pits will be level.

Here are a few photos of the new arrivals which also show the lower floor area between some of the pits:

IMG_3585s.jpg

IMG_3586s.jpg

IMG_3641s.jpg

IMG_3615s.jpg

IMG_3612s.jpg

IMG_3605s.jpg

IMG_3609s.jpg

IMG_3593s.jpg

IMG_3634s.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Grimley,

That's railfreight red stripe heaven,laugh.gif the 56 looks to be on an angle, I am guessing the pit roads aren't fixed down yet? Looks good though, gives a good idea of how things will look. Once you have finished the deopot I think you are going to be busy weathering those loco's plus the others I am sure you will buy before you finish.biggrin.gif wink.gif

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, yes you are right the pits are not fixed down as yet. Poor old 049, she does look a bit wonky! But they will hopefully be straight and level once fixed down properly.

Although I am looking forward to weathering some Blue and Railfreight stuff I am not overly keen on the thought of dirtying all of them! You are right after purchasing the three type 5s it has wet my appetite for more…..but this time I must be strong and not give in!!

Thanks for the photo, I do like them in that livery. I think we may see a few more arrive soon…….biggrin.gif

Hi Lewis, thanks. The pits will look better once weathered, properly fixed in place and with the concrete floor down.

To start off with the depot will be EWS/DB as the majority of my stock is from that period but my chosen period will be around 1988, this being the time I first visited Toton. This will stretch to 1992 to allow a few 60s to arrive on shed! This also allows for BR Blue, Large Logo, Original Railfreight, Red-stripe Railfreight, and of course Sub-Sector livery. A nice variety!

Oh and a good selection of classes too!

The latest arrivals have all been for the 80s period and to be honest I think from now on that will be the case. From now on I plan to concentrate on the period for 1988 to 1992 and any new stock (limited purchases due to most funds going on the layout) will be for that period.

I might be able to get away with a buying a coal 56 soon just to help out!!……..biggrin.gif