Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Simon,

Last night I went out into the garage and found the Evergreen sheets, they are number 4528 Metal siding. I am really impressed with it and in my opinion it is just perfect for the outside of my shed. Hope that helps.

Thank you, much appreciated for my next (but one) layout!

Thanks Peter, it is funny you should say that as I have been looking at photos of Blue and Railfreight 20s over the past two days. Been doing some research and studying photos in readiness for weathering them although that will not be until next year when the weather improves. I might even have a few more by then! I was looking at which ones could be renumbered from 023 and 108 and also which blue examples were still battling on into the early 90s. I found some real bangers to model!

I have to confess that I am quite looking forward to weathering some blue and Railfreight locos, makes a change from EWS!

Well I have just come in from the garage after cutting some lined plasticard ready to cover the inside of the front wall, blooming Nora it is cold out there! Had planned to get them sprayed in white primer as well but it was far too cold!

Thanks for posting the photo Ian, there appears to be a few 58s on shed! I presume that they have just been delivered and by the looks of it and the date fairly new to Toton.

I also had a look at the link some interesting photos too.

Unfortunately due to the cold weather I have been unable to make any further progress on the shed. I had planned to have the inside of the front wall covered by now but alas that is not the case.

Still, this has allowed me to do some design work on the rear wall of the shed which sits directly behind the dead-end roads. This also includes two buildings and together they house various offices and stores. So all is not lost as this has allowed valuable time to be spent researching this particular area to help come up with a design to include the brickwork, door and window positioning and general arrangement.

Seeing other members’ progress on here makes me want to get on with some modelling!

• 2 weeks later...

With the rise in temperatures over the past couple of days the chance for some modelling in the garage was too good an opportunity to miss!

On Friday I sprayed the lined plastic sheets for the inside of the front wall with white plastic primer and yesterday these were glued in place. It is good to see some progress being made, as it has been a while since I last carried out any work on the depot although as previously mentioned time has been spent working on the design for the inside rear wall. So whilst not actually making any visual progress on Boxenby it has been time well spent. Still it has been nice to actually get some work done on the shed.

This morning I have added a few wooden battens to the inside of the short wall of the raised roof section above roads 12 to 13. Adding these extra battens will give more surface area to help the plastic sheets sit flatter and in turn give a much better look.

Hopefully if the weather is not too cold next weekend I can add the lined plastic sheets to this wall

This afternoon I braved the elements and went out in the garage to take a couple of photos of progress. In order to get an idea of how the roof support girders and vertical girders on the front wall should hopefully look, I used some blue tack to hold the test pieces in place whilst a couple of photos were taken. Before these girders are eventually added to the walls they will be sprayed dark grey, but it gives you an idea of what I am trying to achieve.

MU5C0047s.jpg

MU5C0050s.jpg

Merry Christmas to Andy and the team and all RMWeb members.

• Like 3

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Thanks Peter, I am hoping that in 2011 we will see a lot of progress on Boxenby depot. My plan is to have the interior and exterior of the shed ready for weathering in the summer. But we shall see….I have to try and set myself targets to achieve!

Thanks Mark, it is starting to come together and certainly looks better now that the walls are getting covered.

You know Melly!.......Railfreight is the way forward…I am already eagerly awaiting 20090, my fleet is a bit short of traction at the moment! Your Thornaby fleet will have to make the journey south to boost the availability figures!

Well I have to say that Father Christmas never ceases to amaze me and this year is no different. He has certainly lived up to his star status and with the help of York Modelmaking has delivered something rather special…….

To say that I am excited is a slight understatement! Many thanks to York Modelmaking, especially Chris for all your help I cannot wait to see them in position.

866V6313s.jpg

866V6310s.jpg

More photos later……

After seeing the list of new Hornby products for 2011 I am wondering if BR Blue Grid 082 is going to have the orange cantrail stripe as seen here in February 1988:

56082s.jpg

• Like 1

After seeing the list of new Hornby products for 2011 I am wondering if BR Blue Grid 082 is going to have the orange cantrail stripe as seen here in February 1988:

If not Alex - you can always do it with transfers :blink: knowing how we all love this irksome task so much :P .

Melly (busy adding cantrail transfers to 37185 Buccaneer!):(

Guest no1stpaddy

Having just read all 11 pages, I have to congratulate you on what you have done up to now. I look forward to seeing the final result. Toton was a big favourite with me and I would quite often tag onto the Saturday visits there and at Derby Works. I have sat on the hill opposite for hours, first off seeing the Class 44s, finishing off last time I was there looking at Class 66s and watching my wife fall down the hill!!

The magic thing with Toton is the number of classes of locomotives that have visited over the years, it would be interesting to know if any of the western region hydraulics made it there.

Hi Damian, well you certainly made a good job of the inspection pits as the roundhouse looks superb.

A fantastic layout you have built, very inspirational.

I have to say that I am not overly looking forward to installing them permanently, I bet you probably felt the same way! Still it is just one of the many challenges that lie ahead……..can’t believe that it is almost a year since I first came up with this silly idea.

Melly I would say that you are right, about adding the orange stripe as it is quite relaxing and therapeutic adding transfers. But then I would be lying! :D

I remember the frustration and anger felt when trying to add the cantrail stripe to 56006, in the end I had to ask Mrs. Grimley for some assistance before I went completely mad! :angry: :huh: :D

I like the sound of Buccaneer! Superb aircraft! B)

Thanks Daryl for the kind comments I am glad that you like progress so far. Toton has certainly changed since I first visited it back in 1988. I have to agree with you about the number of locomotives on shed and the variety of traction which could be seen stabled, that certainly had a lasting impression on me. Also the shear size of the depot, quite overwhelming especially when a boy in his early teens!

Yesterday after work I decided to have a closer look at my Christmas present and ended up dry fitting one of the shorter inspection platforms. I have to say that I am very pleased with them and looking forward to seeing them built and in position.

Here are a few photos of the inspection platform minus the steps at the end:

IMG_3865s-1.jpg

IMG_3869s.jpg

IMG_3871s.jpg

IMG_3872s.jpg

IMG_3876s.jpg

Now I just need to make a start on putting them together!

Tomorrow I am planning to cover two more walls with lined plasticard which will leave just two more to go. One of those being the main wall which sits directly behind the dead-end roads.

• Like 2

Happy New Year to all RMWeb members.

I have managed to add the lined plasticard to two further walls over the past few days and turned my attention back to the main board carrying out a job which I have been meaning to do for quite some time. Today I have screwed down the ply-wood on the top of the board as it had only been held in place using small tacking pins since it was first built a year ago.

As Father Christmas has delivered the inspection platforms I thought it prudent to get this done in order to have the board as level as possible for them to sit on. This has made a big difference and I am now looking forward to seeing the platforms in place.

Now I just need to put them all together!

A few photos:

IMG_3878s.jpg

IMG_3882s.jpg

IMG_3887s.jpg

IMG_3884s.jpg

IMG_3889s.jpg

IMG_3891s.jpg

Mrs. Grimley thinks that I went a bit over the top with the screws but I wanted to make sure that the ply-wood was down properly!

• Like 2

Hi Damian, well you certainly made a good job of the inspection pits as the roundhouse looks superb.

A fantastic layout you have built, very inspirational.

I have to say that I am not overly looking forward to installing them permanently, I bet you probably felt the same way! Still it is just one of the many challenges that lie ahead……..can’t believe that it is almost a year since I first came up with this silly idea.

Melly I would say that you are right, about adding the orange stripe as it is quite relaxing and therapeutic adding transfers. But then I would be lying! :D

I remember the frustration and anger felt when trying to add the cantrail stripe to 56006, in the end I had to ask Mrs. Grimley for some assistance before I went completely mad! :angry: :huh: :D

I like the sound of Buccaneer! Superb aircraft! B)

Thanks Daryl for the kind comments I am glad that you like progress so far. Toton has certainly changed since I first visited it back in 1988. I have to agree with you about the number of locomotives on shed and the variety of traction which could be seen stabled, that certainly had a lasting impression on me. Also the shear size of the depot, quite overwhelming especially when a boy in his early teens!

Yesterday after work I decided to have a closer look at my Christmas present and ended up dry fitting one of the shorter inspection platforms. I have to say that I am very pleased with them and looking forward to seeing them built and in position.

Here are a few photos of the inspection platform minus the steps at the end:

Now I just need to make a start on putting them together!

Tomorrow I am planning to cover two more walls with lined plasticard which will leave just two more to go. One of those being the main wall which sits directly behind the dead-end roads.

I wouldn't worry about getting the pits in, you're doing a great job.

Just sit them on a slow curing glue and put some dead flat wood on top - say strips of MDF to weight the tracks down. If you're worried about getting them straight, butt them up against a straight edge whilst gluing - I use a 3 foot steel rule when gluing straight track..

As an aside, I've posted a couple of pictures of my pits (and the start of the shed) today on my thread.

Hi Scott, I have to confess that I went and got one in the sale! Although I did have a cordless drill I wanted a corded version too so treated myself. This proved to be a good decision as it made the job a lot easier having two drills.

Funny, as sometimes I do have a lot of patience yet other times I don’t!

I am relieved to have carried out a job which has been high on my to do list for a while and very pleased with how it has turned out. The board not only looks nicer but the pits now sit in place much better. Hopefully we will see more progress over the next few months.

Thanks Damian I had a look at your thread earlier very interesting to see how you constructed your pits. Slightly different to my version! I am looking forward to seeing more photos of how the depot shed was built.

Thanks for the suggestion and guidance. A couple of them will need a little persuasion as they are slightly curved, although it is not that much. I like your idea about the MDF to weigh down the tracks. I am trying not to get too worried and worked up ahead of installing them permanently!

Here are a couple of photos of the inside showing the latest walls to be covered:

First of all the short wall of the raised roof section just above roads 12/13:

IMG_3897s.jpg

IMG_3895s.jpg

The rear wall behind 37501:

IMG_3908s.jpg

A couple more photos:

IMG_3900s.jpg

IMG_3915s.jpg

• Like 2

Phenomenal. I think that sums it up!

Really starting to take shape now. 501 and 502 look well just sat there, almost swallowed up in the shed.

I don't know what I would be most worried about......The bill for the plasticard and pits or the bill for the locos needed to fit.

Inspirational stuff.

Guy