Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

C'mon Grimley, what's keeping you? A modeller of your expertise should have it all ready by now together with Trent Junction and Ratcliffe Power Station (and everything in between) all at 1:76 [tongue in cheek emoticon].:lol:

And as for those squeeky clean Railfreight beasts - about time they had the Grimley works treatment [no pressure emoticon]:blink: ;)

Hope all is well mate!;) At least Newcastle United will have a good weekend... [ultra sarcastic emoticon]:D

Just caught up with this one - Sorry if I have missed it but have you based it on a prototype - Toton?

Attached is a shot of an (as yet unamed) Microshelfplank (or whatever) I am on with those Peco inspection pits are excellent - but one is enough for mepost-7252-088793300 1286644369_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for the information on the silo much appreciated, I have been wondering what that was for!

Now we know……

D winpenny, unfortunatley I think you are right completely! :blink:

Hopefully by 2015 I will be ready to start accepting locos on shed, and yes no problem…the more grids the merrier! :D

Baggie, you will be pleased to hear that the real reason I have not made much progress on the depot is due to me building the other boards for the yards at Toton. Also I have moved into an industrial unit to fit it all in……..I will make a start on the other boards to accommodate Ratcliffe Power Station and Trent Junction at the weekend but to be honest I think that will have to be it. Mrs. Grimley thinks I am going a bit too far now!.........could you imagine the room that would be required for all that? Ridiculous, it is bad enough just having the shed! :huh:

Luckily I am not that insane to attempt the above! :P

I know what you mean, I keep looking at the Railfeight 58s and 20s and start thinking of how to weather them. It makes me want to make a start on weathering them, you certainly do need some dirty diesels on shed!

Thanks for that, we have another home game this weekend, Wigan must be excited at the prospect of leaving with three points!

Thanks Kaian, glad that you like it.

Hi CR, yes it is based on Toton but not an exact replica. As I do not have access to the real depot it is near enough impossible to get it exactly the same so Boxenby will be a large TMD similar to Toton. Not sure how it will turn out though!!

Looks good, I am very pleased with the Peco inspection pits both for Grimley and Boxenby. Once painted and weather and in position they do look rather nice in my opinion.

Over the weekend I managed to do some work on the top of the shed in preparation for the roof going on although that is some way off yet! I also did some more work on the inside of the shed and this part is now ready for covering. So hopefully this week/weekend I can make a start on adding the lined sheets and painting the cross beams.

It should really start to come alive once the wood is covered and begin to feel like a building rather than a wooden shell.

• RMweb Gold

Baggie, you will be pleased to hear that the real reason I have not made much progress on the depot is due to me building the other boards for the yards at Toton. Also I have moved into an industrial unit to fit it all in……..I will make a start on the other boards to accommodate Ratcliffe Power Station and Trent Junction at the weekend but to be honest I think that will have to be it.

That's what I like to see - a clear vision allowing for future expansion! With scale-length Red Hill Tunnels, of course, not to mention those little bridges on the 4-track over the Trent Navigation. [i once hired a narrowboat that had previously got caught in the weir there!].

Seriously - not my era, not my theme, not my location, but what you are doing is exacting, quality modelling at its finest. If you can only keep Mrs G onside, this is going to be brilliant!

Thanks Ian, if only I did have the space to accommodate all the yards and along the line including Trent Junction to Ratcliffe Power Station. But alas I don’t!

My plan is eventually (many years off but, as you say, you have to plan for the future!) to have a four track mainline along side the depot to allow trains to run passed. Pairs of 20s, 56s and 58s on MGRs running passed would just finish it off I think. Obviously this is a long way off and probably will have to wait until I have retired with a nice large converted barn to accommodate my ridiculous idea…..But hey forward planning and all that!

Last night whilst out in the garage Mrs. G did pass comment about how mad I was, and seemed to just accept it! May be in a few years I could broach the subject of an extension to allow the depot and mainline to have a home…….

On Saturday whilst preparing the inside walls of the shed for the lined plastic sheets, I decided that in order to get the plasticard to sit nice and flat more supports were required.

Although it is probably a bit over the top and unnecessary I feel that if I don’t do it now, should in the future the walls not look right it will always annoy me. Oh and I will wish I had addressed it whilst I had the opportunity.

So lots of wooden battens were cut to size and then glued in place on Saturday.

Yesterday I filed the walls to make sure that they are nice and level ready for the plastic sheets to be glued in place. Very pleased with how it has turned out.

Hopefully I can get a couple of sheets added this week and also start painting the inside.

Here is a photo of 60040 inside:

IMG_3775s.jpg

This is the first time that 040 has been inside Boxenby depot since the shed was fully assembled and glued together.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link BigT very useful indeed. Some excellent photos on there, just the job!

Thanks Taytrain, glad that you like it.

After some serious thought I decided that before starting to cover the inside walls with the lined plastic sheets it would be a good idea to paint just under the roof right at the top of the building. It would make it very difficult for me to get into these areas once the plasticard was glued in place.

So yesterday and today I painted these areas and the cross pieces with primer and even this has made a big difference. Hopefully over the next few days I can apply the undercoat and then the top coat of matt black, although the latter will probably get done at the weekend.

Hopefully on Sunday I will be able to post some photos of the inside with it looking a lot different!

On Saturday I applied the top coat of dark grey to the cross pieces and have to say that I am pleased with how it has turned out.

IMG_3787s.jpg

IMG_3789s.jpg

IMG_3791s.jpg

This week I plan to start adding the plasticard to the side walls.

Here are a few photos with a quick mock up using the outside wall tester. The final lined sheets will have less lines than those on the outside. The brick work will also be painted white.

Some BR Blue for Peter, I have planned to use 56006 but the weather was not nice so decided not to take it out into the garage:

IMG_3801s.jpg

IMG_3797s.jpg

IMG_3802s.jpg

It gives an idea of how it should look.

• Like 3

Hi Grimley,

Looking good, ;) the class 20s nice, you just need another 8 or 9.:lol: Are there many sky lights in the roof I am just thinking when the roof goes on it might be a bit dark inside? I would add a some pigeon poo to the roof trusses too. Eastleigh Depot always seemed to have pigeon poop all over the place.:D

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, Thanks, hopefully now it will really start to take shape.

Yes you are correct a further nine 20s, another six 56s and another eight 58s…..can’t see Mrs. Grimley authorising payment for those!

The dead-end roads 5 to 15 have ten sky lights, the through roads 1 to 4 have twelve and then the lathe road number 16 has seven. It will definitely be darker than it is currently which is probably a good thing really as it will cover up my dodgy modelling!

Like the idea of the bird poo!

Hi Alex,

The roof painted grey makes it look like the solid metal framework of the real thing and certainly seems to create the dark interior of the depot building it certainly is coming along really well. Have you thought about lighting as some carefully positioned LED's and fittings will really set off all your hard work really well and will add even more to the atmosphere!

Looking great keep up the good work,

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes it does make quite a big difference having it painted dark grey and even more so once the roof is covered between where the sky lights go. I always remember depots being quite dark.

To be honest I have thought a lot about it and know exactly what is required for the job and despite looking at exhibitions and on the internet I have yet to find anything acceptable. It was lighting for Grimley that started off my research as I wanted to use the same lights inside that shed too. It certainly will make a difference having lighting inside.

These are the lights inside Toton:

http://david6769.fot.../p16671546.html

Very similar to those inside Immingham as well:

http://stevejackson..../p55279543.html

I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it!

Thanks for the link Big T an excellent collection. Some great photos and a good variety of traction too! Love the Large Logo Grid with the roof off uncovering the engine and the peak up on Jacks. Superb! Original Railfreight livery was definitely the best livery for 58s……

Thanks again much appreciated.

Hi Alex,

Nice picture - I really like the 60's in that livery as my first model was the old Lima one Steadfast when it first came out and even better with a 31 tooked in behind! Your model will certainly capture that atmosphere once its finished!

thanks,

Mark

These are the lights inside Toton:

Very similar to those inside Immingham as well:

most interesting ;) your progress is making me want to detail the inside of Immingham shed now Mr Grimely! havn't done any work on it in ages!! :O lighting would look lovely inside any depot providing its orange sunset lighting and not flourescent blue!! <_<

"These are the lights inside Toton"

"Very similar to those inside Immingham"

most interesting ;) your progress is making me want to detail the inside of Immingham shed now Mr Grimely! havn't done any work on it in ages!! :O lighting would look lovely inside any depot providing its orange sunset lighting and not flourescent blue!! <_<