OMWB: flatbed coal delivery truck from AIRFIX Bedford MK. 4tonne GS body kit

Dudley

Bought this kit intending to replicate a Corgi Bedford TK coal delivery truck I'd had as a kid. Photo shows it part built: cab yet to be finished (perhaps wing mirrors?) and glued in place, same too of the flatbed. Wheels turned for variation. Merit coal sacks on the rear stuck together but not onto the truck. I wonder if they're too tall? How big should a sack of coal be?? A lovely kit for a fiver and that cab will take some careful painting: good light and a magnifier!

D.

post-6358-0-55989500-1358276965_thumb.jpg

Looks good, the coal sacks are actually coke sacks, coke is less dense hence bigger sacks, Harburn do some coal sacks which are closer to the right size. The Airfix MK lends itself to a number of conversion, I made a gritter last year (some pics on my layout thread) although probably a little large for the average coal lorry in an urban environment, they would be more likely in remote rural communities.

• 2 weeks later...

I put together   2 galleries of coal lorries on flickr which may be of interest , Merfs right , coal merchants wouldn't use an MK,  too much complication with the four wheel drive. TK s very very popular though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seacoaler/galleries/72157631682591775/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seacoaler/galleries/72157631814001006/

But just to prove exception one merchant has an  ex army 4X4 Austin K9  !    Not at all prototypical though.

• 1 month later...

Some lovely conversions there, it took me a while to decide what body to go on the back and after much trawling found an alloy bodied tipper that made me go mmm!  I also thought about going for a KM conversion....maybe in the future....

Anyway heres mine, this would be effectively a year old on my diorama (to come) as it's an L registered, so one of the first available for civilian applications.  The Land Rover is also the pre Airfix GS Models kit, went as far as modelling the gear and 4wd control levers on the floor even though you can't see 'em!    Mirrors on the Bedford were made by soldering nickel silver sheet to suitable wire, wanted some strength just in case.   Weathering is my third proper attempt using brushes, please be kind! :paint:

post-10000-0-26612200-1362826666_thumb.jpg

post-10000-0-25764700-1362826690_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Some looking trucks. Here's a PG Models MK I made into a coal truck a couple of years ago. I remember these from when I was a kid going round giving the ex-coal miners their months supply of coal. The truck in N Gauge and the hopper body is scratchbuilt from 20thou plastic card.

100_7420.jpg

Alex

Archived