Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

It's August 1986 and the west end of Edinburgh Waverley station is busy with services waiting to depart to all corners of Scotland...

attachicon.gifWW 2.jpg

Fantastic and very atmospheric.

I have just recently copied down to dvds a load of video taken by myself in that period around Waverley and Queen St and the scenes look uncannily familiar.

47/7s 26s and 107s ..Scotrail Strathclyde I/C and Blue Grey..could be taken on WWs layout!

Dave.

• Like 1

A few from me... please excuse the Peco setrack (Layout plan modified from one in the setrack planbook...) and the Hornby/Balsa Wood Signals. Most of those signals have now been replaced by Ratio ones, which are a considerable upgrade! There are some MSE LSWR ones hidden away in a box somewhere, should the time arise when they can be built.

post-33498-0-64690700-1517185444_thumb.jpg

No.34023 'Blackmore Vale' sits in the Up Platform at Yately, with a late-night service bound for Waterloo, via the former SECR line as far as Sturt Lane, then onto the ex-LSWR Mainline, calling at Brookwood and Woking, then fast to Surbiton, Clapham Jct and finally Waterloo.

post-33498-0-80614300-1517185473_thumb.jpg

Maunsell S15 No. 30831 coasts into platform 2 with a Down Goods from Tonbridge, bound for Reading and the Western Region. The loco will be coming off at Reading, turned, and is then booked to take a fitted freight through to Feltham. 34023 now has the road out of the station and into the very short section across Yately Junction, hence why the Distant is cleared.

post-33498-0-13371800-1517185515_thumb.jpg

The S15 seems to be almost crawling through the station, as the Bulleid's train appears to have left during the short time it should have taken to get from just before the Siding into the platform.  It appears 30831 has strayed rather far from home, being listed as a Salisbury loco from at least 1948 until it was withdrawn!

post-33498-0-08373800-1517185560_thumb.jpg

In the daylight! Drummond M7 Class 0-4-4T No.30108 is shunting the factory sidings to the South of Yately, towards Darby Green, with a Down fast freight passing in the background, probably bound for Reading, or beyond to the Western Region. If it is a Sunday, it may be diverted from the LSWR mainline and is bound for Basingstoke and points West to Southampton, Bournemouth, Exeter, Plymouth or Weymouth. 30108 is another loco that is far from home, being a Bournemouth engine at this time! It was no stranger to the area, having been a Guildford loco until 1953, but it's a long way from Yately to Bournemouth!

post-33498-0-79968600-1517185587_thumb.jpg

Yet another down goods! This time headed by 34023. A new 0-6-0DE Shunter can be seen in the factory sidings, whilst specially-liveried No.34090 'Sir Eustace Missenden' (My User-namesake!) is trundling off the branch (to Eversley, Bramshill and Heckfield) and into Yateley Junction shed, a small sub-shed of Reading (Southern). Quite what such a loco is doing at this small shed (Nomally utilised only by the branch locos and whichever loco is employed on shunting the Factory sidings) is a mystery, as it was on Stewarts Lane's books at the time! 34023, meanwhile, has strayed even further than 34090, being an Exmouth Junction loco! The 0-6-0DE Has mysteriously acquired a yellow-front many years before this feature was officially introduced! Indeed, it would appear this loco (D3256) had yet to be built! At any rate, D3256 was a Western Region loco, so it is a true mystery why a loco of this number should be appearing in North-East Hampshire, with a Yellow front, several years before its listed build-date...

post-33498-0-09758000-1517187062_thumb.jpg

Maunsell N No.31404 rounds the curve from Yately (Station) through to the junction on an Up working, possibly headed for Guildford, Redhill or even Tonbridge. Although the shedplate on the loco reads 72B (Salisbury, 31404 was allocated to Guildford from September 1963, so it is fair to say that the photo dates from that month before the shedplate has been changed. Still, given the allocations of some of the locos pictured above, anything's possible!

sem34090

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough, but did she have the electrification flashes prior to transfer to LMR (he said desperately trying to dig himself out).  Incidentally I thought the WR type grab holes on smoke deflectors were a very handsome addition to these already impressive locos, and burnished up with the 'full Canton' treatment looked wonderful.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifShed scene 03.jpg

Pannier tank 3643 has arrived with three wagons of coal for the coal stage. Having dropped off them and the brake van, it will collect the empties and put them on the brake van before propelling the loaded wagons up the ramp. The crew will probably stop for a natter with the shed staff before heading back to the goods yard with the empties. In the background, a 9F trundles along the embankment with a train of empties for South Wales.

That coal stage looks familiar. Cheltenham?

Fair enough, but did she have the electrification flashes prior to transfer to LMR (he said desperately trying to dig himself out).  Incidentally I thought the WR type grab holes on smoke deflectors were a very handsome addition to these already impressive locos, and burnished up with the 'full Canton' treatment looked wonderful.

I like the WR type grab holes and at one time they where polished right up! I only decided to have her weathered to this state after I found the pictures, if I had another Brit she would be bulled up Canton style.

As for the over head flashes to be honest I’m not sure, I’ve got pics of her with them as a LMR loco but I must have found a shot of her with them whilst still on the Western as I’m sure I wouldn’t have added them other wise. From 61 onwards a lot of locos gained them even Castles.

• RMweb Premium

Three Scottish-based 47/4s take a break in the sun at Haymarket MPD, must have been around 86-87 I should think...

attachicon.gif47s 1.jpg

There are no words left in the English language....

I had to enlarge that photo and look very hard to convince myself it isn't real.  The lighting and long focal length really sets it off.  

Score: 11/10

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

No.34023 'Blackmore Vale' sits in the Up Platform at Yately, with a late-night service bound for Waterloo, via the former SECR line as far as Sturt Lane, then onto the ex-LSWR Mainline, calling at Brookwood and Woking, then fast to Surbiton, Clapham Jct and finally Waterloo.

Maunsell S15 No. 30831 coasts into platform 2 with a Down Goods from Tonbridge, bound for Reading and the Western Region. The loco will be coming off at Reading, turned, and is then booked to take a fitted freight through to Feltham. 34023 now has the road out of the station and into the very short section across Yately Junction, hence why the Distant is cleared.

In the daylight! Drummond M7 Class 0-4-4T No.30108 is shunting the factory sidings to the South of Yately, towards Darby Green, with a Down fast freight passing in the background, probably bound for Reading, or beyond to the Western Region. If it is a Sunday, it may be diverted from the LSWR mainline and is bound for Basingstoke and points West to Southampton, Bournemouth, Exeter, Plymouth or Weymouth. 30108 is another loco that is far from home, being a Bournemouth engine at this time! It was no stranger to the area, having been a Guildford loco until 1953, but it's a long way from Yately to Bournemouth!

Yet another down goods! This time headed by 34023. A new 0-6-0DE Shunter can be seen in the factory sidings, whilst specially-liveried No.34090 'Sir Eustace Missenden' (My User-namesake!) is trundling off the branch (to Eversley, Bramshill and Heckfield) and into Yateley Junction shed, a small sub-shed of Reading (Southern). Quite what such a loco is doing at this small shed (Nomally utilised only by the branch locos and whichever loco is employed on shunting the Factory sidings) is a mystery, as it was on Stewarts Lane's books at the time! 34023, meanwhile, has strayed even further than 34090, being an Exmouth Junction loco! The 0-6-0DE Has mysteriously acquired a yellow-front many years before this feature was officially introduced! Indeed, it would appear this loco (D3256) had yet to be built! At any rate, D3256 was a Western Region loco, so it is a true mystery why a loco of this number should be appearing in North-East Hampshire, with a Yellow front, several years before its listed build-date...

Maunsell N No.31404 rounds the curve from Yately (Station) through to the junction on an Up working, possibly headed for Guildford, Redhill or even Tonbridge. Although the shedplate on the loco reads 72B (Salisbury, 31404 was allocated to Guildford from September 1963, so it is fair to say that the photo dates from that month before the shedplate has been changed. Still, given the allocations of some of the locos pictured above, anything's possible!

Based on all your local place names, either you used to live around here or we must almost be neighbours.

Northmoor (Camberley resident)