Banana plugs

Siberian Snooper

• RMweb Premium

Try stripping a about 3mm of sleeving of the wire, place through whole in the cap,pass the wire through the whole in the pin and twist the wire tight and then solder the wire and screw on the cap

Eltel

Try stripping a about 3mm of sleeving of the wire, place through whole in the cap,pass the wire through the whole in the pin and twist the wire tight and then solder the wire and screw on the cap

Eltel

As Eltel said but also make sure your wire and plug are both clean & pre-tinned before you join them together. 

If you still cannot get the solder to 'take' try using a small file to take the surface plating off where you are going to attach the wire. (I had a similar problem many years ago and this worked for me).

Also ensure that you are using a multicore type electrical solder with flux included in it. 

Regards

Eddie

• RMweb Gold

No doubt someone will tell me different, but, I've never soldered banana plugs, just twist the wire around the stem where the slot is and then screw the barrel on to make contact. I understood that part of the idea of the plug is that it is a test type plug and is easily rewireable.

As used on my RSU without any problems............... so far.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

No doubt someone will tell me different, but, I've never soldered banana plugs, just twist the wire around the stem where the slot is and then screw the barrel on to make contact. I understood that part of the idea of the plug is that it is a test type plug and is easily rewireable.

Mike.

We used banana plugs at work (electrical test)

Always soldered

EDIT still use them at home, again always soldered

Keith

Mike.

Always solder them for a reliable connection, I don't think I have ever come across a non solder type

To confirm, this type is designed for unsoldered instrument cable - the type with thick insulation and thin central conductor. Push about 10mm through and wrap it around.

Not reliable over any length of time, so if you do decide to use them, I would do as suggested, clean off the plating and solder, or be prepared to strip them down every year or so to clean off any tarnishing or oxidising of the conductor.

To confirm, this type is designed for unsoldered instrument cable - the type with thick insulation and thin central conductor. Push about 10mm through and wrap it around.

Not reliable over any length of time, so if you do decide to use them, I would do as suggested, clean off the plating and solder, or be prepared to strip them down every year or so to clean off any tarnishing or oxidising of the conductor.

Per above I think that some banana plugs are/were intended to be used for speakers on Hi-fi's. I suppose the idea was that once connected the plugs were not likely to be disturbed therefore wrapping the conductor around the plug and screwing on the top would probably work.

That is where I originally came across them but decided to try and solder to get a good permenant connection.

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a variety called IIRC "wander plugs" which were intended for applications where a little resistance could be tolerated. e.g aerial plugs (remember them?) on the backs of radios (wireless sets!). These were used a wire twisted around a loop before the plastic barrel was tightened.

Some of the banana plugs I have can be used by tightening a screw onto the cable before fitting the cover, but I still solder them for reliable connexion.

Keith

'Wander Plugs' were usually intended for 3mm (1/8") holes, such as those on the sides of old H&M transformers.

The one pictured appears to be a 4mm solder type.

Like a lot of things, with connectors there is more to the subject than initially meets the eye :-)

Archived