Livery Photoshopping

med_gallery_6731_93_212456.jpg

Image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photo by Wikimedia user Miroslav.broz, released under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike License.

2015: Virgin Trains enters the London - Paris market with a fleet of Alstom AGVs, in competition with Eurostar, DB and Air France.

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

2015: Virgin Trains enters the London - Paris market with a fleet of Alstom AGVs, in competition with Eurostar, DB and Air France.

Paul

That's very nice. I consider the AGV to be a rather ugly train, but that manages to make it look good. Maybe one day, isn't open access on the chunnel and HS1 starting next year?

med_gallery_6731_93_212456.jpg

Image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photo by Wikimedia user Miroslav.broz, released under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike License.

Paul

Oooh!! Bring it on - please!!

Thanks for the foretaste!

John E.

I've always thought Alphaline was a great brand name, and since Alphaline services always been 158s the Class 158 'Express Sprinter' could well be Class 158 'Alphaline'. Anyway, what if some of today's operators refurbished some of their units with more comfortable seats and more legroom and garanteed the presence of a buffet trolley (at least between advertised stops on the route) and brought back the Alphaline brand for these trains?

First of, Arriva Trains Wales' version of Alphaline livery:

post-7703-128099670827_thumb.jpg

Or maybe this one?

post-7703-128099687074_thumb.jpg

Now, what if Stena Line sponsered an increased service to Fishguard Harbour (connecting with their fast ferry). Also has FGW branding to allow the unit to run through Fishguard Harbour - Portsmouth Harbour services.

post-7703-128099698419_thumb.jpg

The rear coach carries DB Wales' Alphaline livery, as shown on this image:

post-7703-128099705787_thumb.jpg

Original (public domain) image by Peter Skuce. First Great Western versions of Alphaline livery might come in the future.

To round off today's batch of Photoshops, DB are thinking of running ICE trains through the channel tunnel, why can't we have earlier ICE trains rather than ICE3s, the earlier ones look much better, even with yellow ends:

post-7703-128099742819_thumb.jpg

Original image by S. Terfloth Creative Commons licence.

• Like 1

To round off today's batch of Photoshops, DB are thinking of running ICE trains through the channel tunnel, why can't we have earlier ICE trains rather than ICE3s, the earlier ones look much better, even with yellow ends:

That looks quite nice, the yellow panel fits the design, and I've always thought that's the best shape ICE set. Bring it on!

The Class 58 Loco Group's Fotopic site has some interesting liveriers:

http://c58lg.fotopic.net/c1872224.html

I must admit to an interest here - I did them! There are more to come, I just need to get them finished and emailed off.

Moving on, here's a few that have been sat on my hard drive for a while

gallery_6899_468_162551.jpg

"Powerhaul" livery seems to sit well on the flat sides of the 47 bodyshell - not too many details to get in the way and break it up

gallery_6899_468_57063.jpg

There was a period when single ended 67s to provide HST style sets was rumoured for Virgin. Instead the Voyagers were ordered. So what if it went ahead, and some standard 67s were ordered too?

gallery_6899_468_152756.jpg

So Cotswold Rail retained their original image for all their operations, not going down the Advenza freight route

gallery_6899_468_55585.jpg

What if it was a shed that got the Keith Heller treatment, not a skip?

cheers

jo

• Like 3

Interesting stuff Jo - I think Powerhaul livery suits the class 47 better than class 70s, 86 or 90 - possibly because the Duff has much more rounded cabs than the others - that work with the wavy livery.

Yet again - amazing how 67s just seem to look quite comfortable in any livery cool.gif

tfn

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"Powerhaul" livery seems to sit well on the flat sides of the 47 bodyshell - not too many details to get in the way and break it up

That's an excellent job, Jo, but the Powerhaul livery is way too fussy to my eye and the symmetry doesn't help here. Something more like this, perhaps:

post-6813-128104947887_thumb.jpg

Still too much like every other livery on the railway at the moment, though, and nowhere near as effective as the simplicity of the original Freightliner green. The best recent "47" livery IMO is the Arriva blue - symmetry not so bothersome in this case, maybe because it's broken by the branding.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Yeah, despite their unconventional looks, the 67s do seem to carry off any livery well. I know others don't, but I do like the skips tongue.gif

Powerhaul livery is a funny one. I agree that it's very fussy (and I do like that "more yellow, less fuss" variant). I based the application on the one sized doesn't fit all style used on the 86 and 90 (notice how on these two grills and lights etc are cut in two by the livery rather than the livery finishing in natural gaps). It looks like they've used class 70 sized stickers too big for the loco they're applied to, rather than using various designs adjusted to each class. First seem quite good at adapting their stripes to different stock on the Barbie style livery.

The gentle curves and the big flat canvas like bodyside both help the livery application on the 47 IMO (contrast with the 70 and 86), though the grey "moustache" does spoil it a bit

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys!

Yeah, despite their unconventional looks, the 67s do seem to carry off any livery well. I know others don't, but I do like the skips

I wonder if the 67 would suit Loadhaul black/orange; I've yet to see a loco in that livery that doesn't suit it.

Would the class 67 look any better with a more traditional split window?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

med_gallery_6731_93_80356.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray based on a photo by Julian Gajewski, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike License.

East Coast may operate some of the four new pendolinos between their delivery and transfer to the new West Coast franchise in 2012.

Paul

• Like 1

med_gallery_6731_93_418121.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photograph by Matt Buck, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license.

Back in 2005 it was rumoured that SWT's 358s would be transferred to SPT and fitted with pantographs for 25kV AC overhead. Two sets were even said to have been sent to Glasgow for conversion, but in the end nothing came of it.

Paul

• Like 1

med_gallery_6731_93_339394.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photo by Jan Derk, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license.

Transport for London considered using ex-SWT class 458 on the extended East London Line, before deciding in favour of a unified fleet of new 378s on the whole overground network.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry to divert the thread and i mean to take up minimal space, but what's an MPV's tops registration? 9*****?

98901-98931 (powered) and 98951-98981 (unpowered) for the first batch. There are more, but details not to hand.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

med_gallery_6731_93_311793.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photograph by Matt Buck, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License.

When Southeastern is due for refranchising in 2014, could inner London services be taken under the Overground brand?

Paul

• Like 1

med_gallery_6731_93_311793.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photograph by Matt Buck, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License.

When Southeastern is due for refranchising in 2014, could inner London services be taken under the Overground brand?

Paul

As good as your photoshopping is Paul, I sincerely hope not - those things go through my home town of Sidcup, and I abhor the London Overground livery!

You never know - maybe Southern will get South Eastern to add to their repertoire, and then we'll have green EMUs down the Sidcup line once more... ;)

You never know - maybe Southern will get South Eastern to add to their repertoire, and then we'll have green EMUs down the Sidcup line once more... ;)

med_gallery_6731_93_31362.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Phil Scott distributed under the GNU free documentation license, and as such is released under the same license.

The Southern and Southeastern franchises both have the same parent company, but for some reason they did not unite them under the same branding. I posted this on the thread in the old forum back when there was a possibility Southern might take some Networkers as part of the Thameslink Programme rolling stock swaps.

med_gallery_6731_93_277182.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photo by Gauteng Citizen, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License.

With alternatives to IEP currently under consideration, could a simpler 125mph EMU provide more affordable rolling stock for the electrified Great Western that are also more suitable for today's inter-urban services?

Paul

• Like 1