MI6

I agree totally, although as I am a relatively new recruit to RMweb I can only imagine and appreciate the work that has gone into getting it where it is today. 

Given that Andy now (thankly) has a full time job it is understandable that he doesn't have the time to dedicate to MI. But perhaps if 'certain members' (and that might well be plural!) would like to step up to the oche and take over the role...???

and we established over a year ago that BRM couldn't afford to match my fees :D :D

It is not just the volume of content that keeps RMWeb such a lively place and it is not just that content provided by experts to guide us all, what has always kept RMWeb alive since the early days is its diverse membership and the more often than not delicate touch of Andy's admin team. Every member open to contribute in any discussion whether it is serious or humorous, whether it is a "I like that" first post or a brief answer to someone's problem, and long may it continue that way, no matter who is at the helm or paying the bill. Despite everything seen to the contrary I'm still a loyal fan.

For what it's worth, I always found MI to be excellent both as a source of inspiration and as a showpiece for RMWeb.

I hope it makes a return, but obviously Andy knows what is needed where and we have to respect that. Perhaps somebody would be able to step into Andys shoes and help out with MI? I only wish I had the time/knowledge/skills required to offer something of value.

Mark

Belsay Lad and Angry Meerkat - I think you are missing something.

I totally agree with you Kenton. Having visited RMweb for a number of years I will continue to credit Andy with the foresight to create RMweb and bring it to the model railway fraternity. I have spent countless hours over the last seven or eight years really enjoying the spirit of the forum, and still think it has the basis to be the No 1 railway modelling forum. 

BL and AM - you need to understand that Andy sold RMweb to Warners, so the forum is now commercially owned, and from what I understand Andy is an employee of Warners. Because of that, even if Andy wanted you to, you can't just "slip into his shoes", unless Warners approve of that. You could of course perform voluntary work for Warners and assist Andy with MIs, and he may well snap your hand off, given the amount of time he is spending on RMWeb. As (I think) Andy said, MI is a "nice to have" and is a very nice publication, but there obviously has to be some levelling out of the Warners brand across all products, particularly with Steve's new Ipad thingy.

Belsay Lad and Angry Meerkat - I think you are missing something.

I totally agree with you Kenton. Having visited RMweb for a number of years I will continue to credit Andy with the foresight to create RMweb and bring it to the model railway fraternity. I have spent countless hours over the last seven or eight years really enjoying the spirit of the forum, and still think it has the basis to be the No 1 railway modelling forum. 

BL and AM - you need to understand that Andy sold RMweb to Warners, so the forum is now commercially owned, and from what I understand Andy is an employee of Warners. Because of that, even if Andy wanted you to, you can't just "slip into his shoes", unless Warners approve of that. You could of course perform voluntary work for Warners and assist Andy with MIs, and he may well snap your hand off, given the amount of time he is spending on RMWeb. As (I think) Andy said, MI is a "nice to have" and is a very nice publication, but there obviously has to be some levelling out of the Warners brand across all products, particularly with Steve's new Ipad thingy.

OK,  whatever keeps RMweb chugging along...

MI both in electronic and print form was something different and atractive that came without the 'baggage' of the established titles. It seemed to be gathering momentum, and I personally really hoped the style and format would be developed to the point where it could become a stand-alone product in it's own right... It is a great shame that momentum has been lost and it is now effectively shelved as 'low priority' just as it was reaching to a wider audience.

I can also see the root cause of suspicions about diverting effort to other Warners ventures such as the new iPad edition, BUT the number one priority for time and resources HAS to be keeping the core forum running and Warners pay the bills so is difficult to argue if their desire is that Andy's limited time is directed to other tasks...

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at this from another perspective.....

Why does Andy have to do MI?

That's not to say I didn't like the job Andy has done with it, but.....If other members are that interested in it still being produced,(NOTE: personally I enjoyed it)  couldn't a group get together to produce it, and if need be have Andy oversee the final assembly of it  (if he has time of course)

And I do appreciate Andy should have his own time, whether it be w/e or weekdays that are his and his family's.

As for the issue of mods taking on more work, I have NO idea how much they do already, but if it is pushing the limits of peoples time maybe delegate certain sections to groups of mods to ease the strain all around.

Just thoughts, that may or may not be constructive.

Khris

I see that Kenton has plenty to say on this subject including an in depth knowledge of what Andy York does for a living so can I make a suggestion that he volunteers to take over the running of MI and that way Andy can spend more time on new projects. 

I see that Kenton has plenty to say on this subject including an in depth knowledge of what Andy York does for a living so can I make a suggestion that he volunteers to take over the running of MI and that way Andy can spend more time on new projects. 

Thank you for the vote of confidence in my editorial abilities - others, including myself, would not be so enthusiastic.

I think there has been a great deal of misunderstanding in the origins of MI and the inevitable impact of Warners (a clearly commercial enterprise) on the further development of MI.

When Andy had "all the time in the world" to choose to spend developing and running RMWeb and its innovations that was entirely his project. He came up with the bright idea of MI and worked with others to develop it.

Andy now has a real job - it so happens that job is with Warners. Warners can dictate what he does as part of that job and we have no influence over that (nor should we). At the same time Warners took over RMWeb including its funding, which we sometimes forget used to be also Andy's purse but latterly included significant contributions from members. Warners employ Andy to manage and develop RMWeb among other things to which we have no need to know. So his time is now limited. Sure he could still spend his personal time on the project - but then why should he? Also for that matter why should Warners let him unless it is under their control?

Think of it, if you had spent 8hrs of your day cleaning trains for say SWT why should you then give up your spare time to clean more trains for joy of cleaning trains? Also, why should any of us members spend time on something for any commercial organisation without recompense? If we are going to volunteer to clean trains then might we not volunteer to do it for a preserved railway?

I think we all thank Warners for funding the provision of the platform, for employing Andy, and not doing anything too drastic with the format (as yet). They obviously do not wish to prioritise MI as part of that package, wishing to spend time on that other thing instead. That is their prerogative.

1. Warners can dictate what he does as part of that job and we have no influence over that (nor should we). 

2. They obviously do not wish to prioritise MI as part of that package, wishing to spend time on that other thing instead. That is their prerogative.

1. Of course they could but being entirely honest there's no dictat. I am asked to produce content; whether that be imagery to illustrate layout articles, reviews, articles in their own right etc for BRM and for MRL. It's more of a "could you do?" than a "we need you to do...". I'm free to manage those requirements and RMweb life as I feel best.

2. No-one within Warners has restricted MI for any reason whatsoever; it is, as I've said several times, just down to the time available when BRM + MRL + RMweb has had everything doing that needs to be done; it's the former part of that equation that pays the way (for RMweb too) so it's right that we make the magazine as good as we can (and work on new developments too); other stuff falls into the 'nice to have if we have time' category. If I'd produced more MIs for magazine or online usage then Warners would have happily supported my time on that project, even if it meant me turning round and saying "Can't do that; got to get an MI out" but I am sufficiently commercially minded and pragmatic to know what pays the bills. There is also another angle in that I think the best quality layouts, which I was pitching MI toward, merit inclusion in a strong mag rather than diluted to a purely pictorial article - that's a call I've made rather than anyone else and to derive the best benefit for the owner of the layout rather than extra content which doesn't deliver sales.

I'm still thinking on how MI added to BRM should work and when the right material and right time is available I'll look at it some more.

No-one within Warners has restricted MI for any reason whatsoever; it is, as I've said several times, just down to the time available when BRM + MRL + RMweb has had everything doing that needs to be done; it's the former part of that equation that pays the way (for RMweb too) so it's right that we make the magazine as good as we can (and work on new developments too);

But before Warners, BRM and MRL occupied none of your time and certainly not a priority over RMWeb. My point is that now you are an employee of Warners (and Warners are paying the bills) we cannot expect them not to have other demands on your time. Even if that time control is pretty liberal on their part. No one is ever going to believe that nothing has changed.

We have BRM and MRL getting promoted on RMWeb when they probably wouldn't have been and we see the input of other staff in RMWeb when their profile would have been much less prominent had Warners not been involved. RMWeb has essentially become BRMWeb (just look at the logo says it all) and MRL has been raised from the ashes of MI. That is the price we pay for funding.

[Ed] I am not saying that is a bad thing, just no surprise and certainly not the way things use to be. The website has moved on (once again) and each of us can decide if those changes are worth continuing with it. I obviously think they are or I wouldn't be here.

RMWeb has essentially become BRMWeb 

I certainly don't have an issue with it and it was a phrase I said at an early meeting with Warners but they were comfortable with a distinct identity. Some people have even said it in a disparaging fashion but I certainly don't have a problem in seeing a future with more "joined up thinking" between BRM, MRL and RMweb; in fact I'm a big advocate of it as I see benefits for all in it being so.

• RMweb Gold

I certainly don't have an issue with it and it was a phrase I said at an early meeting with Warners but they were comfortable with a distinct identity. Some people have even said it in a disparaging fashion but I certainly don't have a problem in seeing a future with more "joined up thinking" between BRM, MRL and RMweb; in fact I'm a big advocate of it as I see benefits for all in it being so.

Well it certainly seems to have done a lot towards the improvement of the quality of BRM.

Hi Andy

Many thanks for the direction to this thread, no one should doubt the hard work you put in to running RMWeb and as someone has already said if you do not have the time to produce MI6,( sounds like spooks) then that should be the end of the debate.

Having said that I will miss MI if it does not continue and I would also be happy to pay for some type of subscription if that was an option to continue with its publication.

Many thanks Andy for all that you do to help us enjoy this great hobby.

Regards

David

A few months ago, I committed to doing a series of monthly articles for MRL, specifically aimed at beginners.

Simple enough, but the work involved producing just one a month makes you realise the work that the likes of Andy put in.

It ain't as easy as some think, and it all takes time.

And,................time is the one thing we can never have enough of!

So for me, when it comes it comes, or drekly........... as we says down ere!

• RMweb Premium

A few months ago, I committed to doing a series of monthly articles for MRL, specifically aimed at beginners.

Simple enough, but the work involved producing just one a month makes you realise the work that the likes of Andy put in.

I know it's not really my place to make suggestions about how Andy should divvy up his working or free time, so I'll try to approach from a different direction by saying that I wouldn't mind if MI was smaller, less like a full magazine format, featuring one or two connected pieces that weren't naturals for magazine inclusion, but yet too good not to be brought to the widest possible audience by being given a prominent position .

Yes that's certainly a good idea - especially as I suspect that after the initial issues, obtaining content and possibly the effort required to put the whole thing together had become a bit of a cross to bear.

For my part I'd just like to see time prioritised for MI over MRL - and that's just because I valued MI well above MRL - Of course top of the priority would always be RMWeb (and even there the forums above all the other "improvements". But that's just me. .. It sort of invites a poll of the membership on how to split the time heh! but it isn't (never has been) down to what the membership wants.

But before Warners, BRM and MRL occupied none of your time and certainly not a priority over RMWeb. My point is that now you are an employee of Warners (and Warners are paying the bills) we cannot expect them not to have other demands on your time. Even if that time control is pretty liberal on their part. No one is ever going to believe that nothing has changed.

We have BRM and MRL getting promoted on RMWeb when they probably wouldn't have been and we see the input of other staff in RMWeb when their profile would have been much less prominent had Warners not been involved. RMWeb has essentially become BRMWeb (just look at the logo says it all) and MRL has been raised from the ashes of MI. That is the price we pay for funding.

[Ed] I am not saying that is a bad thing, just no surprise and certainly not the way things use to be. The website has moved on (once again) and each of us can decide if those changes are worth continuing with it. I obviously think they are or I wouldn't be here.

I don't take BRM regularly, and I am suffering from 'MI' withdrawal symptoms - but I wish to state a few things here (and I apologise for, and acknowledge my difference of opinion - if it matters :smile_mini2: )

A ) Since Warners came on board I have noticed that BRM seems to have articles that interest me more often, and it is an easier read that a couple of years ago.

B )I have yet to see any worsening in the standards of RMweb, its management style, or the wide variety of subjects that are covered on here.

C ) Considering that we users do not have to pay for RMweb or the MI downloads, I am happy with the Status Quo.

Thank you to Andy Y, Warners and the Moderators for this platform.

And Thank you for reading this.

(edited to add and remove rogue smileys!)

Catkins hello

Your ABC points are a bit questionable imo.

A/  I though Warner's were already the publisher of BRM and responsible for the magazine content.

B/  Well there's no regular bi-monthly MI as was originally stated, it is still run by Andy Y so no change there, the wide variety of subjects - isn't that down to the membership postings?

C/  We the users of RMweb supply the majority of content freely that's the beauty of Andy's concept and marketing.

I do think RMweb is a breath of fresh air and something unique in the model world for its depth on topics, its free flow of information up and down the line, for Andy to always be available to answer questions and post news worthy updates, all in all a bl**dy good read and reference source. 

Andy Y is an enabler and long may he continue - VIVAT RMweb.

Regards

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Andy

Maybe you have such a big desk too many things are getting put on it for you to attend to.  I think you should get a coffee table sized desk that may help.

Or a pool table so when the paperwork gets too much shovel it on the floor and have a game.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if Andy wishes that this particular thread would go away, but the absence of Modelling Inspiration really does seem to leave a gap.  

If workload on Andy is the issue, is there a way to nominate volunteer guest editors in the same way as MRJ and HIGNFY? Accept that each edition is going to have a particular personal perspective, but use that as a way to explore in greater depth some of the many dimensions that railway modelling has to offer - sound, 3D printing, scenery, blue diesels, narrow gauge, operation, etc. Keep a strict page cap, say 12 or 16 pages and leave it to the editor to drum up contributions.

In practical terms, I don't know what software would be required to maintain the quality of photos and allow a more sophisticated page layout than an ordinary thread  or whether that could be made available to the guest editor in some way.

Best wishes

Eric

• 2 months later...

Bump

What's the latest on MI has it withered on the vine of BRM Warner's which seems to be going forward at apace.  Are they licenced to kill it off? 

Also is there to be an Annual competition for 2013?  Not for me to compete in but I do like reading about those that do as it seems to stretch their abilities for the benefit of us all.

Or have I just not found the thread relating to it?

Regards

If you like MI content why not try BRM Live?

Was working on something for a very different challenge but made a decision to drop it for some complex reasons. We'll look at something for next year in due course.

Archived