Did we really look like this when out trainspotting?

• RMweb Premium

My recollection was that colours were somewhat subfusc; grey shorts in winter, beige/khaki ones in summer. I had a few check short-sleeved shirts; as I had blond curly hair and glasses, this led to inevitable references to 'The Milky Bar Kid'. I still hate white chocolate. I'd normally have a jumper in a 'practical' colour. In later days, we gravitated towards ex-Army jackets, along with old gas-mask bags to carry notebook and snap. To be honest, we didn't pay that much attention to what we wore; it might have been different in big cities.

Thanks, Brian, that's just the ticket. Brilliant, thanks. No, I didn't pay much attention, either, that's whay I'm asking. The things we took for granted, eh! I do remember having a (weekend/after skool) jacket in colour to Maunsell-ish green - not exactly vibrant rather, as you say, a 'practical' colour. Maybe I just need to remember/find some old knitting patterns mum used to have. They were filled with 'practical colours' now that you mention it.

Polly

One of the (many) things I disliked about school was the ludicrous clothes one had to wear. I think they somehow confused forced compliance with good discipline. Thankfully, the cap thing only applied in the first year - theoretically you were supposed to lift it if you met a teacher in the street, all very well if you knew all the teachers' faces. Usually avoided by ducking down back alleys.

We narrowly escaped having tassels on the caps. The head thought it a good idea, but the deputy (who was a noted ironist) suggested that straw boaters might be better in summer. At which point the whole thing was dropped. I think those guys were still living in the 1920s, and thought they were running a public school!

Blazer colours could be very bright. Again, I narrowly escaped a particularly vivid shade of light green, thankfully dropped in favour of black as I arrived at the place.

• Like 1

Like the above post, I recall the colours were shades of grey for the trousers (long or short) and navy/brown for coats and jackets.

Never saw any really bright colours like yellow or orange - talking about the early/mid 1960s here.

Probably the brightest thing I was wearing was my cap (dark maroon) and my Clark's sandals, light brown. Quilted jackets started to appear around this time; dark blue being a favourite colour.

Funny what one remembers.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fifty years ago.....

Looks like the shot was taken on Five Arches Bridge, just north of Derby station, Peter? The location looks a little different today with the bridge over to Pride Park dominating the scene.

post-7289-0-39470800-1359294079_thumb.jpg

Image from Google Maps street view.

They did, and animal paws on the sole! I think they were my first pair of posh shoes. Re clothing a lot of mine was made ( knitted) including bathers!!!! Lol I can also remember the green parkas (which used to stink when wet, imagine an assembly with dozens of them lol.).... de rigour then for spotters in the 70's also seemed to consist of an Addidas sports bag and ankle swinging trousers, as normally one grew quicker than wages................., and you had to wait till next term for a new pair!

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 2

I think I've posted this before somewhere. but it is me around 1962/3. Entrance to 31A Cambridge steam shed. My matehad left school, but I was in the Cambs High School for Boys dark blue uniform. Note the notebooks in the blazer pocket!

Stewart

post-2049-0-82274000-1359294184.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

In the early 60s my spotting was mostly done in the school holidays; we had Saturday school with afternoon games and Sundays were family and homework time. For "mufti" grey or fawn shorts were superseded by fawn/tan slacks. I wasn't allowed jeans as they were "common", although I had a pair, only for helping at a local stables. The significant garment worn except in hot or very wet or cold weather was the windcheater, usually in green, fawn or olive drab, but other colours were available (navy). In wet weather I was stuck with the school mac, belted gabardine in navy. In cold weather I had a fawn duffle coat and a bobble hat, knitted by Mum. When spotting locally I just took a notebook and the MR abc; further afield the duffle bag was de rigeur; they came in plain colours and tartan style patterns, mine was a dark green/navy tartan type with a fawn bottom and top band. Note the preponderance of fawn in the colour range. I think this was a middle class/lower middle thing; other local spotters had jeans. Happy days.

Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My school mac - much needed as I had a bit of a walk from the bus-stop - was a navy-blue M&S thing. Mum bought it at the Croydon branch - which was handily close to where the trolleybuses crossed North End, so a bit of gricing went on. It did seem remarkable that the 630 went all the way across to "Harlesden, Willesden Junction", not that far from my aunt in Cricklewood. I am not sure whether I wore said mac at the weekends or other gricing times - but am certain that I would have worn suitable clothing the wet day I went to Tonbridge. OTOH, as my mate Michael Edward Vernon White (dad was the butcher in Westcott) and I were shown round the cab of a Q1 in the shed, I might have got it a bit dirty, and don't remember that.

Why (ha ha) is it that I recall girls' clothes more clearly? Girls in 1st & 2nd years wore tunics with white socks, length variable. From 3rd form blouse and skirt were worn with stockings (ooh!). Am I certain? Actually the skool snap from March 1964 is alongside the Ian Allan ABC!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm a smidge younger, it was '70 when I went to the Grammar school, caps were not then worn, but you had to have one for the kit inspection each term!  Blazers were black or navy, shirts white or grey, school tie, and shoes had to be black - brown shoes ensured detention or lines, or worse, writing out the school rules.  The parka was de rigeur, with fur lined hood (was the the bit that stunk?) and I used to use BOAC shoulder bag, as Dad was a frequent flyer and that counted as a pose!  For school it was supposed to be a briefcase, but that faded out as I got older.  Never jeans at weekends though, it was always cords, sometimes in awful colours such as maroon.  Ech.  Oh how I hated uniform....then I went to sea and had to wear one that was much more involved and strictly enforced!  Now it's a suit that might as well be a uniform, although my taste in ties is legendary!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Anyone remember those home-knitted Balaclavas which seemed to be de rigueur at that period?

Yes! You are quite right - Mum knitted one for each of three sons! Mine was dark blue/light blue - skool colours, although I'd never have been allowed to wear it there.

• Like 2

de rigour then for spotters in the 70's also seemed to consist of an Addidas sports bag and ankle swinging trousers, as normally one grew quicker than wages................., and you had to wait till next term for a new pair!

Someone mention Addidas bag!!! Here is mine in use as a pillow

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/6844994109/

and flared Jeans

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/6574015947/

• Like 4

I went to Park House Boys School in Newbury in 1964, clearly remember mandatory school uniform, dark grey or black trousers, white or grey shirt, school tie, blue blazer and blue school cap, black shoes, and most of us had a leather satchell in which to carry our fountain pen and books. Where did those days go ?

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Although I liked trains I only went train-spotting once (1963) and I can't remember what I wore but as it was supposed to be tea and playing trains at someone's house I'm sure Mum would have sent me off tidy and the outfit almost certainly would have included a hand knitted jumper in some dull green colour. I wouldn't have been wearing a cap. I had to wear one at school 64-69 and never really felt the need for head wear before or after until recently when I have felt the need for a woolly hat in winter (wife said I look like Compo), or a sun hat in summer (wife said I look deranged).

As the secondary school I attended was supposed to be turning out scientists and engineers the uniform was supposed to be very different and this was represented by not having black or green uniform like the other schools, we had the joy of wearing bright purple blazers and caps. At least when it rained it could be disguised with a cycling cape for those of us who rode bicycles.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Anyone remember those home-knitted Balaclavas which seemed to be de rigueur at that period?

You mean like these?

1312307354-17274-0.jpg

I'm getting a fantastic feel for trainspotters, through you guys. Guess what I'll be looking out for in 00 gauge at this year's MR exhibitions? 

Really appreciate your reminisicences.  Wish I'd been there... though I'm making up for it these days...haha.  A steam loco or train still looks good.

Polly

• Like 8

You mean like these?

1312307354-17274-0.jpg

I'm getting a fantastic feel for trainspotters, through you guys. Guess what I'll be looking out for in 00 gauge at this year's MR exhibitions? 

Really appreciate your reminisicences.  Wish I'd been there... though I'm making up for it these days...haha.  A steam loco or train still looks good.

Polly

Polly,

Had a balaclava like that in navy blue :yes: my mother knitted it on a Passap Knitting Machine

Regards,

Dave

p.s. I was never a train-spotter!

You lot are so old! I never saw the point of trainspotting (of the ticking off/crossing out variety) but I did travel by train to secindary school. By 87 school uniform was navy blazer, black/dark grey trouser, black shoes and socks, white, light blue or grey shirt and a mainly blue school ties, with diagonal stripes in colours denoting house. No cap, although in my first year the head still wore a gown and mortarboard for assembly. Coats and bags were not specified, if I remember correctly the first few years bright ski jackets and rucksacks were the thing.

I went to Park House Boys School in Newbury in 1964, clearly remember mandatory school uniform, dark grey or black trousers, white or grey shirt, school tie, blue blazer and blue school cap, black shoes, and most of us had a leather satchell in which to carry our fountain pen and books. Where did those days go ?

Cheers,

Chris

I was supposed to get a detention once for wearing a blue shirt in the third year in about 66

• Like 1