DEMU Showcase 2013, Burton upon Trent, 6/7 July 2013

Revolution Mike

Hello

I know these are jokey asides but there are already lots of shows with steam , (in fact all of them). It is therefore a relief for some-one who is far too young to remember this ancient form of traction, to have one that is 'kettle' free. After all the clue is in the name of the society.I'll go and have a lie down now.

Cheers

George

Yes indeed they are jokey asides brought about by the fact we all know from the title of the show and society that this is an event aimed at the Diesel, electric and modern era. Think you need the lie down - all those diesel fumes must have put you in a bad mood, I feel a soothing hot steam treatment is in order! :jester:

And that is my last joke as I don't want to detract from those who want to publicise their show by upsetting those with no sense of humour! I may not be old enough to remember steam, but it is my era of interest. However I respect other people's modelling interests and look forward to seeing the excellent modern era models at this event! :nono:

HelloPlease don't wag your finger at me old son. Come and have a chat with me at Burton if you want to discuss the pros and cons modelling. I shall be there all weekend.CheersGeorge

And I am his minder all weekend, and security guard...........

Due to very dry weather  forecast over the DEMU showcase weekend, there will be a steam ban in place through Banbury :jester:

You can't use the word ''dry'' in the same sentence as a show!!!!

• RMweb Gold

You can't use the word ''dry'' in the same sentence as a show!!!!

Kevin

For a split second I forgot tht you would be reading this topic.

You are absolutely right, it won't be dry in Burton that weekend ... Might be dry after all of us have finished though!

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few more updates:

- thanks to Rail Express / Mortons we will be able to give away free show guides this year. This will be a high quality mini-mag of the show (and just for Kenton has track plans where we have been able to get them!).

- we are fortunate to have some excellent demoers:

• Colin Craig will be talking about flat bottom trackwork (essential for modern layouts!)
  • Kevin Dickerson of Coastal DCC is our new incarnation of Doktor DCC and will try to answer your questions on DCC.  Kevin is also heavily involved in the development of JMRI.
  • Andy Jones will be demoing large scale diesels and stock (for those of you with sneaky O gauge interests  cheesy.gif)
  • John Talbot of Appleby Model Engineering will be talking about research and modelling of modern wagons over the last 30+ years.

In addition the team behind Phil Eames's reincarnation of Calcutta Sidings will be on hand to talk about all aspects of building a large exhibition quality layout.

Calcutta.jpg

Don't forget you can still buy tickets in advance to save queuing and get in early from:
http://demushowcase2013.eventbrite.co.uk/

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Thanks to Guy and Mike for inviting us I will be there with Rannoch and several members of the Scottish area group helping operate at showcase this year. Plenty of Tractors in action along with some of Kev's favourite GM's! The WHL scene wouldn't be complete without one black five to break the steam ban.

Looking forward to the show and I hope to see you all there!

All the best

Mark

post-6863-0-54762400-1370299191_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark!

Less than 4 weeks to go <adopts Corporal Jones voice>...don't panic, don't panic!</Dad's army impression>

Looking forward to opening the doors and getting people in - I found the anticipation and waiting for the doors to open the most nerve-wracking bit last year!

Cheers, Mike

I'm glad to hear you are looking forward to it Simon!

I spent almost the whole day today working on the Showcase preparations and there is still more to do! With luck, I'll be posting a PDF of the Showguide in the coming days.

Do I need an excuse to post a picture of a 304 on Coppell?

post-8271-0-35807700-1371750356.jpg

I have two!  

Firstly it's fitted with a ''Legomanbiffo'' sound decoder, and the man himself is bringing some of his sound fitted AC electric fleet for a run out at Showcase.

And secondly, there is talk that we may have a converted second series 304 ready in time as well. I'll believe it when I see it run!

Not long now, kev.

A quick reminder for DEMU members attending Showcase - there will be a prize draw once again at the society's AGM (held after the show at 5pm on the Saturday). You can join DEMU at the DEMU zone in the Main Hall.

I think that the poster below says it all.

Guy

post-7525-0-82803200-1372372929_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

With just over a week to go until doors open, a reminder that you can still buy advance tickets at (and get in early/beat the queues): http://demushowcase2013.eventbrite.co.uk/

Advance ticket sales will close on Wednesday 3 July.

Cheers, Mike

PS a few pub recommendations have been added to the welcome letter exhibitors will receive on arrival :mail:

• RMweb Gold

With just over a week to go until doors open, a reminder that you can still buy advance tickets at (and get in early/beat the queues): http://demushowcase2013.eventbrite.co.uk/

Advance ticket sales will close on Wednesday 3 July.

Cheers, Mike

PS a few pub recommendations have been added to the welcome letter exhibitors will receive on arrival :mail:

Scary that its crept up so quickly!

I have been recapping on the good pubs that we have been in and remember there's a good one round the back of the venue.

Ian

Our plans for this have taken a knock when I realised it clashes with the only week I have my little boy with me during the 'Great Gathering' at the NRM.

I doubt many DEMU folk will lose a lot of sleep over this, of course! ;-)

It will have to be a short visit, but any more than a couple of hours total and the little chap's attention span is up!

Archived