DEMU Showcase 2013, Burton upon Trent, 6/7 July 2013

Revolution Mike

• RMweb Gold

DEMU are pleased to announce that DEMU Showcase 2013 will be held on 6 and 7 July 2013 at Burton Town Hall, King Edward Place, Burton upon Trent, DE14 2EB. Map

Saturday 6 July 2013 10.00 - 17.00

Sunday 7 July 2013 10.00 - 16.00

The Town Hall is situated very close to the railway station in Burton upon Trent. There is a public car park at the Town Hall, please be aware that East Staffs Borough Council have now made this a pay and display car park.

We are delighted to announce the first layouts booked are as follows:

• Banbury, N gauge, based on the real location set in the Chiltern Railways era
  • Calcutta Sidings mk 2, P4, a taster set of boards of the new and improved Calcutta Sidings from Phil Eames. This will take the form of a demonstration of how far the project has come to date and will give people the opportunity to ask the builders about the various techniques used to create this layout.
  • Coppell, OO gauge, fictitious WCML in the 1980s - 2000s
  • Dalmally, EM gauge, Scottish BR blue in the late 1970s, based on the Oban branch of the WHL
  • Elcot Road, P4, the exhibition debut of Elcot Road as a completed layout. As serialised in Rail Express Modeller
  • Loch Tat, N gauge, Scotland in the 2000s
  • Margery Street, OO/4mm, based on London's Widened lines in the BR blue period
  • Rannoch Moor, OO/4mm, WHL in the 1980s - 1990s
  • Rhydwyn Fawr, O/7mm, industrial steel works in Wales
  • Ringburn Yard, OO/4mm, a small freight yard depicting Railfreight operations in Fife during the late 1980s/90s.
  • Roundtree Sidings, EM/4mm, Tyneside 1980-1987. Tyne & Wear Metros with BR diesels on Freight
  • Tremore, OO/4mm, a small scale Cornish branchline layout based in 2000
  • Widnes Road, 00/4mm, BR blue (late 1970s - early 1980s) set in the Runcorn and Warrington area

Full details can be found on the DEMU website here.

• 4 weeks later...

The owner of that loco is very pleased with it’s ‘’poster boy’’ status!  I was ‘’winding up’’ certain members of the operating team at the weekend, by telling them that they wouldn’t be allowed to run their preserved steam engines at DEMU’s showcase! :devil: Kev.

The owner of that loco is very pleased with it’s ‘’poster boy’’ status!  I was ‘’winding up’’ certain members of the operating team at the weekend, by telling them that they wouldn’t be allowed to run their preserved steam engines at DEMU’s showcase! :devil: Kev.

It has got to be one of the smartest liveries ever to grace a 37 and looks great with the rake of Gunnels behind it! Always nice to see something non-rtr modelled.

Mike and I will be handing out on the spot fines for any layout found running kettles!  :nono:  :jester:

Mike,

I googled the venue at 9 hours on the bike is just too far by about 5 hours. I wasn't aware that Dalmally still done exhibitions. I have the 2007 article on it. I ve heard loads of good things about loch tat. I followed Rannoch from start to finish (on here). I had plans to see its first show but a family member passed around that time.

I will have to keep my eyes open for future dates.

Regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

It has got to be one of the smartest liveries ever to grace a 37 and looks great with the rake of Gunnels behind it! Always nice to see something non-rtr modelled.

Mike and I will be handing out on the spot fines for any layout found running kettles!  :nono:  :jester:

All steam specials replaced by diesels due to summer steam ban - well cant afford to be dipping into our beer money paying fines :jester:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello folks

As an experiment we are going to try and sell some advance tickets for Showcase.

Hopefully this will help to ease the queues which were quite bad for the first hour or two of each day last year.
There is a small booking fee to cover some of the costs we incur in using the online booking system, but as a slight recompense advance ticket holders will have a dedicated fast track queue and be allowed in 15 minutes earlier than everyone else.

In addition we are offering a discounted ticket for anyone who would like to come for both days.

You can purchase tickets here: http://demushowcase2013.eventbrite.co.uk/

Cheers, Mike & Guy

Some great layouts by the look of things. I have never visited this event before, but may be tempted this year.

Only down side - a lack of models of "proper" engines. I'm sure an A1 or Jubilee would brighten up the event :jester:

Only down side - a lack of models of "proper" engines. I'm sure an A1 or Jubilee would brighten up the event :jester:

Mike and I will be doing spot checks on the door for contraband kettles! ;)

After more than a year of planning, it's great to see this year's show taking shape. It's probably worth mentioning that Calcutta Sidings V2 is a "scenic taster" (16ft) of the layout and not the full thing. Phil and the team will be on hand to answer questions and demo techniques used in its construction. I had thought about billing this as "Calcutta Sidings: Naked" but it got vetoed...

Quite right! :jester:

Mike and I will be doing spot checks on the door for contraband kettles! ;)

After more than a year of planning, it's great to see this year's show taking shape. It's probably worth mentioning that Calcutta Sidings V2 is a "scenic taster" (16ft) of the layout and not the full thing. Phil and the team will be on hand to answer questions and demo techniques used in its construction. I had thought about billing this as "Calcutta Sidings: Naked" but it got vetoed...

In that case I'll leave my Russell Hobbs and Tefal items at home and just bring a Bachmann V2 instead :paint:

Seriously though - good luckm with the show!

Hello

I know these are jokey asides but there are already lots of shows with steam , (in fact all of them). It is therefore a relief for some-one who is far too young to remember this ancient form of traction, to have one that is 'kettle' free. After all the clue is in the name of the society.I'll go and have a lie down now.

Cheers

George

I just see them as another part of the ''modern'' railway to model, albeit a small part, although they seem pretty common in our bit of the North West! Anyway, until the arrival of the class 70 wasn't a steam engine the newest loco on UK rails? Give me a ''tractor'' to ride behind any day though. Yours, a slightly tongue in cheek Kev.

Archived