GWR A18 Corridor (1936 rebuild of artic stock; part of Lot 1363)

• RMweb Premium

Another interesting project (well, to me anyway) on the bench this week.

This is a 'bitsa' coach for a friend and owner of a rather grand GWR EM layout based on Dawlish and area.

Tasks:

to 'marry' his Hammond A18 sides to Comet's standard GWR 'bowed' ends, a 'fettled' Comet GWR 57' under-frame and the usual excellent Comet GWR cast under-frame detailing parts + sprung Comet 7' bogies (to EM - EMGS wheels)

MJT GWR sprung buffers (stocks only fitted); he has to fiddle with those teeny weeny springs :mosking:

Hinges (Frogmore) fitted.

Door bumps on this coach are punch through half etched 'dimples' on the rear of the side etches. First time I've done this - looks OK, but I'm not convinced!

The sides needed the turn-under forming and it is quite a subtle curve; the brass is thin so I've had to be careful (not my forte and I don't have a decent rolling technique like Coachman's) :threaten:

Masokits gangways will be fitted by the new owner.

I'm building it to an 'Intermediate stage' and that means he has to do the final detailing and painting + the innards :mosking:  in other words, one of my 'usual' builds.

I'll post pics as usual but may describe this under-frame* construction in more detail as it needs to be shortened to accommodate a coach length of 55' 43/4 " (I'll just make it* fit the body carcase..... :rtfm: )

Here are the sides and uncut Comet frame. I've cleaned up the side etches (oh so flimsy) punched the bumpers (oh so gently) and drilled the hinge holes 0.45mm (round hinge hole in half etched rectangular hinge 'mark' on etch (designed to take another style of hinge fret as used by some other builders - three hinge shapes on a strip made to fit through from the rear of the side).

post-2326-0-49508500-1359453727_thumb.jpg

This is a really good looking coach and proto pics can be found in Russell  GWR Coaches Appendix Vol

1 P11.

However, although this is a rebuild on an almost standard GWR under-frame, I'd be very grateful for any further information in case there are any 'detail' differences I need to watch out for (none I can see in the pics).

P @ 36E

• RMweb Premium

So far so good...........

the fettled Comet  standard underframe:

post-2326-0-05519200-1359541044_thumb.jpg

All I've done is measure the length of the sides and then mark and cut the under-frame to that length minus 0.5mm approximately. That meant I had to extend the 'slots' at each end where the body to under-frame fixing bolts are fitted. Done with a very fine saw and round file. The ends of the folded up 'strips also had to be soldered to the 'floor' as they no longer had an 'attachment'.

post-2326-0-86909300-1359541053_thumb.jpg

The sole-bars were measured and cut just short of the length of the floor to allow space at each end accommodate the buffer beams. I pre drill these to take wire for attaching the full length (in this case) step-boards.

The truss rods have been shortened and attached so that the 7' bogies do not get 'caught'; used the proto pics to estimate a fixing position.

The holes in the floor to take the standard Comet bogie bolster bolt fitting have been measured/marked and drilled to place the bogies in what looks like a prototypical position (from pics).

This is the corridor (vestibule for all you LNER boys :nono: ) side.

post-2326-0-60804300-1359541034_thumb.jpg

The carcase married to the frame; looks OK. I'm pleased that the floor is a very comfy fit inside the 'body' and that the whole thing looks the part so far.

I like the large windows but the sides did not come with any droplight etchings.

This is the compartment side:

post-2326-0-07006800-1359543515_thumb.jpg

I'm now wondering  whether I fettle up some drops - I'll have a cup of tea and think about that one..... :dontknow:; they do not look obvious in the Russell pics but the lower frame is visible on the compartment sides; plasticard strip after glazing perhaps and all windows closed on this coach?

Now all this messing about, shortening the under-frame, has not left a lot of room underneath for the fittings (battery boxes, dynamo, brake cylinders/fittings). I'm going to have another cup of tea and study my references to assess where things go and how they will fit in in this build.

Kettle's going on......... :whistle:

P

• RMweb Premium

Several cups of tea later.........and having spoken to the new (prospective) owner*.

*All corridor drops at the lower position requested.

post-2326-0-31050700-1359643821_thumb.jpg

My decision - to recreate the tilt style lavatory windows and random drop positions on the compartment side.

post-2326-0-37980800-1359643701_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-16779600-1359644242_thumb.jpg

I've just shown my favoured masking tape method for positioning drops for interest. It was easier than I though with the body already set up. I'd normally do the drops before constructing the carcase.

Comet to the rescue with some GWR E147 drop etches that fitted just right with a bit of fettling. 'Pinched' them from a kit in my 'to do' box. I hope Geoff will let me have some 'spares'.

post-2326-0-84981400-1359644160_thumb.jpg

P

Great Western Journal numbers 72 and 75 carried a comprehensive article on the artics. No 75 concentrated on the rebuilds with useful pictures.

I have built the same coach (and the brake first) from the Hammond sides, using a scratch built frames, Hammond drop windws, BSL ends, David Geen roof and underframe detail and 247 Developments 8' 6" bogies portraying the vehicle that re-used the ex artic bogies.

Being adventurous I also built the first artic twin from Hammonds, removing one compartment, basically reversing what Swindon did. Hammond did produce the first twins but forgot to put in the Lav windows. Cut and shut sides on the door groove was much easier than drilling out three windows and trying to get the square.

Looking good

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Great Western Journal numbers 72 and 75 carried a comprehensive article on the artics. No 75 concentrated on the rebuilds with useful pictures.

I have built the same coach (and the brake first) from the Hammond sides, using a scratch built frames, Hammond drop windws, BSL ends, David Geen roof and underframe detail and 247 Developments 8' 6" bogies portraying the vehicle that re-used the ex artic bogies.

Being adventurous I also built the first artic twin from Hammonds, removing one compartment, basically reversing what Swindon did. Hammond did produce the first twins but forgot to put in the Lav windows. Cut and shut sides on the door groove was much easier than drilling out three windows and trying to get the square.

Looking good

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks a lot Mike. Despite being brought up in 83D I don't know a lot about the GWR (sincere apologies).

I was supplied with the goods for this build so that's what I've used (except for the extra Comet drops) and it seems to be turning out OK. Thanks for your confirmation; that is reassuring.

Your build sounds much more exciting! Before I was asked to do this I'd not even heard of Hammond.

I'd forgotten about D. Geen's parts. I'll have another look at those as I expect to be doing more GWR coaches for this particular person.

OK so on with the simple stuff:

Comet's underparts fitted.

post-2326-0-52976000-1359729904_thumb.jpg

Perhaps you can see the full length foot-board and the 'little wire' method of attachment?

post-2326-0-50988900-1359729965_thumb.jpg

Here are the bits ready for the sprung bogies: oops, I forgot to include the very neat EMGS 14mmEM Coach Wheels :stinker:

post-2326-0-80027000-1359730145_thumb.jpg

I don't think I can get these done today.

P

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bit of a break from this as you can see, but today I dug out the stuff from 'storage' as SWMBO is away for a few days. Question is, will I have the interest to get it done over this weekend (whilst listening to the footy on the radio on Saturday?)

post-2326-0-72687300-1368182918_thumb.jpg

Quack

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a break from this as you can see, but today I dug out the stuff from 'storage' as SWMBO is away for a few days. Question is, will I have the interest to get it done over this weekend (whilst listening to the footy on the radio on Saturday?)

attachicon.gif017.JPG

Quack

Our dining room table doesn't look at all like that!! (hence in my case using a smaller 'workboard' to minimise the risks to the table).

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the table. It's actually our 'worktable' in the Conservatory. Have moved out of upstairs boring workroom following decoration. Now in Conservatory so I can watch stuff out of the window and pretend to be working; I will be soon honestly.

P

• RMweb Premium

If you have never built a Comet bogie with the springing unit, I can recommend them. Once you have figured out one, they are then straightforward and anyway Comet provide clear instructions.

These bogies happen to to be EM. I've used the excellent EMGS, 14mm Coach wheels.

If there is something to be aware of (how do I know this...........don't ask) I'll try to remember to add it to an illustration.

Do remember to put the bearings in the fret the correct way ready for soldering so when the fret is folded up they are on the inside :whistle:

post-2326-0-21407000-1368193140_thumb.jpg

I tin the compensation 'rockers' before folding and soldering.

post-2326-0-67281300-1368193157_thumb.jpg

Using a little foam jig for the soldering up. You will see how this part of the 'springing unit' works later.

post-2326-0-71275600-1368193176_thumb.jpg

Ensure the bolts are vertical in their positions in the fret before/during soldering. 

post-2326-0-54191000-1368193194_thumb.jpg

Here are the two units; one from above and one from below. 

post-2326-0-96862100-1368193213_thumb.jpg

The springs and retaining nuts. You can now see the fitting up position.

post-2326-0-67124200-1368193233_thumb.jpg

The units and wheels fitted after the bogie fret has been soldered up to the ends. :good:

post-2326-0-22834500-1368193257_thumb.jpg

This does not take long if you are not drinking beer/tea/making lunch/doing this post........

Actually I'm waiting for my adhesive to go off for the body ends and bogie sides - just gone and done that.

I have not mentioned the fettling and thorough cleaning up at the end of the 'build'. I wash my almost completed bogies (cast sides not yet glued on) and scrub with Sif then rinse and dry thoroughly using my trusty old hairdryer (I don't need a hairdryer  for its' intended purpose these days........)

Quack

• RMweb Premium

Today's interesting 'challenge' is to get the roof sorted.

I have adjusted a Comet drawing for a 57' corridor coach of very similar design. The interior is not that important as the new owner will sort that as required.

However, the roof vents are my 'problem'. Thanks to good pics, the drawings in Russel and some support from RMweb 'friends', I have 'estimated' the vent positions and they look OK compared to pics.

post-2326-0-76558900-1368263553_thumb.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with the bogie position. I think they may have to come inboard a couple of mm; I'll see when the thing is completed!

P

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for not posing this on a layout as that particular item is stored away at the moment.

For once I think I got this roof just right for fitting length & shape wise; maybe I had to take a bit more care rather than relying entirely on the drawing? OK a bit of fettling/filling may need to be done on the ends, however this will be done by the owner before (probably) he has fitted the Masokits gangways and he is ready to paint it. 

post-2326-0-71611000-1368273826_thumb.jpg

I use Evostick for the vents and buffer stocks. Strong enough to hold, easy enough to remove if required and can be secured finally for layout use once the thing is painted (not my task thank goodness).

What do you reckon on this one Rob?

Quack.

• RMweb Gold

What do you reckon on this one Rob?

Quack.

I can't really tell from your photo so you need to send to me to test on the layout. :mosking: Damn you've fitted EM wheels though. :no: Really nice job there.It will look a treat on Kingstorre.

• RMweb Premium

I can't really tell from your photo so you need to send to me to test on the layout. :mosking: Damn you've fitted EM wheels though. :no: Really nice job there.It will look a treat on Kingstorre.

Well thank you, but it will look better once Mr 'Kingstorre' has done his magic with it.

P

Looking good. Below are my pair from the Hammnd sides, using Larry Parts bogies and David Geen roof.  I have another part that I cut and shut into the original artic twin set. There cannot be too many of these sides about. I understand only a short number were etched up. I ended up with four sets, a close friend had two sets when Tony Hammond was clearing stock. Last year, there was a request in MRJ for a set of A18 sides. I was wondering if your project was made from them as the donor sides came from not too far from a source not far from me

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-01554000-1368280806_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-90853200-1368280807_thumb.jpg

Archived