TMD information

Hi, I'm after a bit of advice.

I am building a TMD depot, A common thing I know but space is limited.

It will be set in the early 1980's and I want to install cable trunking/dummy point motors etc. I am struggling to find information on the layout of these in this time period. for example would orange ducting of been used, do i need a switch cabinet for each motor??  any links/help would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Would you have point motors etc in a Depot?

I'd have thought the points would have been hand worked....tho I may be a bit wrong....

Never heard of, or seen, a depot with anything apart from hand points until North Pole opened. Certainly, in the early 1980s, the only signals and motorised points would have been the main line connection (s)

During extensive (expensive) upgrades of depot infrastructure to accommodate new trains in the period 1998-2002, we didn't move away from hand worked points anywhere within the defined depot network(s).  As Brian says above, only the main line connections (including those to loops) were powered. 

all the points within wembley depot are electrical, with ground signals on each road controlled from the depot office, (obviously its a new depot though)

Wembley Chiltern, Jim?

I guess you refer to ours (WB) as Stonebridge Park!

Never heard of, or seen, a depot with anything apart from hand points until North Pole opened. Certainly, in the early 1980s, the only signals and motorised points would have been the main line connection (s)

Brian,

Slade Green! Although this was when it got rebuilt for the Networkers and was fitted with a local panel and all roads have GPL's fitted ...

Mike

Don't forget you would have telephone links between the depot (possibly more than one building) and the nearest signal box, by the 1980s these would all have been in trunking. Plus you would have an exit signal so the trunking would need to be situated near that so the connections could run to the signal box as well.

Here is what I decided for Kirkhill:

Exit signal just by the 25 mph sign along with electrical cabinet, trunking leading back towards the depot

post-7112-0-09657900-1359638062_thumb.jpg

Looking back towards the main shed there is also a trunking connection to the supervisor's office in the foreground

post-7112-0-94985700-1359638154_thumb.jpg

The cabling passes under the fuel offload road using orange piping (to the right of the picture). I was told later that, in reality, it would probably have just been buried in the ballast until the 1990s but the orange pipe does add a bit of interest.

post-7112-0-25483400-1359638377_thumb.jpg

what a fantastic layout!

thanks for all the ideas.

its really appreciated! especially from a novice like myself. I am new to the world of model rail, but i do have a fair amount of experience of weathering etc, from building large scale model cars.

Whilst i'm sure some of what i produce will not be exactly technically accurate, i'm just trying to understand the workings of a tmd.

Ive found these pictures really usefull.

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/proto_finsbury.html

thanks again!

• RMweb Premium

Hi, I'm after a bit of advice.

I am building a TMD depot, A common thing I know but space is limited.

It will be set in the early 1980's and I want to install cable trunking/dummy point motors etc. I am struggling to find information on the layout of these in this time period. for example would orange ducting of been used, do i need a switch cabinet for each motor??  any links/help would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi

What is the back story for your depot? Which region is it set in? Most depots of the 1980s were either rebuilt steam sheds or 1960's build depending on region. There were a very small number of HST sheds built in the 70s and I think Peterborough gained its one road shed in the 70s. Norwich Crown Point was built in the 80s but that is more of a train maintenance depot, caring for locos and coaches. The region the layout is set in has a lot of bearing on the buildings, the role those buildings were intended to perform etc. I find that without this background information model depots can look like an excuse to show off a collection of locos not a railway model.

Hi

What is the back story for your depot? Which region is it set in? Most depots of the 1980s were either rebuilt steam sheds or 1960's build depending on region. There were a very small number of HST sheds built in the 70s and I think Peterborough gained its one road shed in the 70s. Norwich Crown Point was built in the 80s but that is more of a train maintenance depot, caring for locos and coaches. The region the layout is set in has a lot of bearing on the buildings, the role those buildings were intended to perform etc. I find that without this background information model depots can look like an excuse to show off a collection of locos not a railway model.

hi,

wow, to be honest id never thought of that. i guess set off the east coast mainline or Yorkshire area. was thinking of asbestos cement sheet type/brick of structures. 

I think it will look a touch odd as i only have a 5ft board. (i've posted a trackplan in a different thread) i would like a small building one/two track maintenance shed to give a focal point and was planning to have smaller locos as the layout is small.

I think i may have a bit too much track in a small board but as it's my first venture into this I want experiment with a mimic panel, isolating sections of track etc.

I will have a good look on the web for photos of the sites you have mentioned.

I'm hoping the forum will point me in the right direction with regard to what im doing.

good point about showing off the locos but not an issue at the moment as I only have one sadly!

thanks for the help, for beginners like me its invaluable

Archived