Hornby Class 59

Hey guys,

I am planning on buying a Hornby Class 59. The model is fairly detailed i.e. detailed enough to keep it out of the ''railroad'' range IMHO. But there are a few things that will need a touch up. 

- The lights, moulded versions I hate. Wouldn't mind getting new light clusters without working lights

- The part circled in red looks odd compared to the other end. Can I butcher it and replace the bogies?

- The snow plough is okay but I want a full single piece.

- New fairly detailed cabs.

- DB Schenker transfers and nameplates.

Where may I get the items I mentioned above? I plan on modeling 59206.

post-15929-0-61769700-1359812095.jpg

post-15929-0-82828800-1359812111.jpg

Think you'll find the circled bit appears odd due that being the motor bogie end. Maybe look at replacing the chassis with a Bachmann 66 one, with necessary changes, should even things up and that may also be a source of a detailed cab. The lights will depend on which 59 you use as the layout varies between them, like the two you've pictured. There is a thread on here about this already somewhere!

I have fitted working headlights at one end only on my Yeoman version (Hornby chassis under Lima body). For the tail lights I decided I didn't need them to work as they aren't used when hauling trains, so I still drilled them out as per the other lights but then I merely filled the holes with Krystal Klear (PVA glue would do just as well) and painted the inside of the lights with Humbrol crimson.

For the working head and marker lights I used the light tower style LEDs, shortened very slightly for a snug fit into the holes. The only thing holding me up from fitting the other end lights is that the initial installation was a bit messy as far as the wiring was concerned, so I want to redo that with a neater arrangement.

you could hack it off and that would improve it as the Hornby bogie does not use the same methods of mouting as the Lima one used to. The deflector plates on the front (snowploughs) are as one peice mouldings, if you want to remove the line between the seperate intems then youll need to fill it. Detailed cabs arnt made by anyone, as theyre not really a viable item to sell, so youd have to build you own or add to the existing mouldings. As a suggestion you could replace all of the handrails, and use Hornby class 60 buffers to replace the naff ones that it comes with, let us know *if* you manage to get the A1 parts as ive a 59 too that could do with them

NL

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from a common and quick google search (which never always shows up expected results) is there any website where I cab get pictures of most of Britian's locos? Somewhere where I may get updates, traction recognition, liveries and other details - like a database. In india we have the IRFCA loco roster. Do you'll have something like that?

In regards to the "snow plough", a few months ago I did a bit of detailing to my Class 59 (see post 93: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33415-bath-road/page-4 ) and I cut the coupling off and glued the snow plough thingy onto the front.

Although it's not a perfect solution it does look significantly better to me.

Did you replace those side grills? BTW the snow plough looks nice.

Jeremiah,

If you want to to see how to do a 59 properly, have a look at Pugsley's one on the old RMWeb. It starts on this page and runs over several of the next pages: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=123&start=600

It is without doubt the best I've seen. I have three of them on the go myself that I am using Bachmann class 66 chassis for (for my model of Whatley) but none will be done to the extreme level of detailing that Pugsley has done.

In answer to some of your questions:

• You can re-instate the missing part of the bogie side frame (circled in red in your first post) with filler. You might need to remove some of the chassis too on the Hornby moulding (not a problem if you fit a Bachmann 66 chassis!).
  • If you fit a class 66 chassis and are doing a 59/1 or 59/2 then you can keep the working lights from the 66 chassis (if you get the right type of 66).
  • Finally, the part that you call a snow plough is simply an enlarged buffer beam.
  • DB Schenker transfers and nameplates are hard to get at the moment due to copyright issues imposed by DBS. I'm sure you can read about this elsewhere on the forum if you search.

Fitting a 66 chassis really is the way to go to get a decent 59 and isn't that hard. If you don't want to do too much then the main tasks are:

• Cut away and file square the light cluster from the Lima/Hornby body so that it fits the Bachmann chassis.
  • Fit the 59 bogie sideframes to the Bachmann bogie.
  • Construct tanks and battery boxes from the Lima/Hornby and spare Bachmann bits.
  • Adjust chassis steps to line up with doors.
  • Sort out buffer beams.

Pugsley's thread shows you how to do most of this and more! In my opinion the stanchions and pipework can be kept from the 66 as it is more or less the same with one or two detail differences (not enough to lose sleep over given the effort required).

Of course, maybe this will be the year that Bachmann do a 59...

Guy

Archived