Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Having just posted on Pencarne about slow but positive progress on the station building I realised I hadn't posted an update here,  I had meant to post earlier but have had other things on my mind. Glad I remembered or I'd be in the doghouse come Saturday.

attachicon.giffirstgo3.jpg

I hadn't noticed the twist in the canopy, I'll have to get that sorted. The trouble is it's really hard resisting the temptation to go in and touch up the paintwork, but it's her model and I'd probably spoil it. :P

That's excellent Dave, She's done a superb job, I wish I had the patience to do jobs like that, thanks for the up-date.

I've not been able to track down any prototype for this model but others in the series do, so maybe I just haven't looked in the right place yet? Others seem to have prototypes from Rutland down to the IoW, so maybe somewhere 'darn sarf'?

Having said that, the kit was introduced way back in 1958 as far as I know, while I followed a year later. Back then if it looked like a station building and also happened to be about the same size and shape as the Tri-ang equivalent but much cheaper - win for Airfix.

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to the Stafford show tomorrow with my nephew. Sorry to see that Andy's going on Sunday, but I have seen that there are a few regular contributors on here that are there tomorrow, so I may bump into someone I know!

Hope everyone enjoys it, there's normally something for everyone!

Kind regards, Neil

And finally the first go at kit building is complete, bar fettling some PVA glazing (which went a little yumpy Granddad! :senile: ).

post-19433-0-85087100-1455364272.jpg

post-19433-0-44744200-1455364294.jpg

post-19433-0-36088800-1455364310.jpg

The camera is pretty cruel, but I think a creditable job for her first attempt, she's certainly very happy with it.

Now Granddad has to start building the platform for it to sit on. With Code 100 track it would appear that the height should be 18mm to buffer centreline? AndyP would have it done in the time it's taken me to type the question 

• RMweb Gold

I think I built my one of those at that age but not painted.  I still have it although the roof and building have parted company.  It served for a while as a 'house' when we were wargaming.  What I do have though is the Airfix/Dapol country pub complete with glossy red roof and all the woodwork on the walls painted.  Very proud of it as I was seven at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Lunesters, , some photos of a layout at York Show on the Easter weekend. I don't normally take photos and certainly not as many as I took of this layout, World's End, base on Knaresborough. The running of trains was quite incidental to the quality of the buildings. Enjoy.

post-16241-0-81340700-1459245452_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-83417900-1459245460_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-53931700-1459245468_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-46945600-1459245478_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-31852100-1459245486_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-18975200-1459245493_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-19386200-1459245500_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-79274900-1459245508_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-66924800-1459245515_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-98621400-1459245522_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-74545100-1459245529_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-88572500-1459245536_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-86066600-1459245544_thumb.jpg

Hi Lunesters, , some photos of a layout at York Show on the Easter weekend. I don't normally take photos and certainly not as many as I took of this layout, World's End, base on Knaresborough. The running of trains was quite incidental to the quality of the buildings. Enjoy.

attachicon.gif01.jpg

attachicon.gif02.jpg

attachicon.gif03.jpg

attachicon.gif04.jpg

attachicon.gif05.jpg

attachicon.gif06.jpg

attachicon.gif07.jpg

attachicon.gif08.jpg

attachicon.gif09.jpg

attachicon.gif10.jpg

attachicon.gif11.jpg

attachicon.gif12.jpg

attachicon.gif13.jpg

Yes, I've seen it a couple of times, Peter Goss's work is outstanding, as was his previous Layout, Rowlands Castle, a village I drove through regularly when in Hampshire, and there was also a cottage on there that Dee and I nearly bought.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd let you know that I've started (slowly) to recover from my strange period of lethargy, tiredness, zombism or whatever.

Despite lots of tests for one thing and another, it really does look as though it was my anti depression tablets causing this. I'm now on a quarter dose with a view to coming right off them and am actually getting some productive work done (at long last!).

I've ramped up production of my actual paying work and found time and energy to do some Continental modelling, see the links in my signature. Hopefully I will also get some time and effort devoted to Compton Abbas before too long as well.

Cheers,

John.

PS Anyone heard anything from Jock? I've not heard anything since he went back into hospital towards the end of March, I think it was. (fingers tightly crossed).

• RMweb Premium

Anti depression medication can knock you for six. It's good to know your feeling better, I checked out your German layout and was impressed with your recent progress all you need now is a good dose of vitamin D and we'll see some grass (or would that be pine trees) down before the end of the month :jester:.

Our cat has been diagnosed with the dreaded C word and it made me think of Jock, I do hope he's not suffering. Brave man and a thoroughly nice bloke.

Shaun.

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd let you know that I've started (slowly) to recover from my strange period of lethargy, tiredness, zombism or whatever.

Despite lots of tests for one thing and another, it really does look as though it was my anti depression tablets causing this. I'm now on a quarter dose with a view to coming right off them and am actually getting some productive work done (at long last!).

I've ramped up production of my actual paying work and found time and energy to do some Continental modelling, see the links in my signature. Hopefully I will also get some time and effort devoted to Compton Abbas before too long as well.

Cheers,

John.

PS Anyone heard anything from Jock? I've not heard anything since he went back into hospital towards the end of March, I think it was. (fingers tightly crossed).

Good news John, and INFO FOR YOU and OTHERS, still no news from Jock or his Family since he contacted me on 1st April to say he's been taken back into Hospital, I have both PM'd and E-Mailed him but with no reply, here is a link to his Charity Run / Walk and a pic of Jock last year with his wife Joanna.

http://relay.cancerresearchuk.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/General?pg=team&fr_id=1567&team_id=8439

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am a regular reader of RMEmag and this week this link was put in to a collection of colour photos of BR in 1960 by some German tourists.  It is all in German but not where, names and numbers so it is not a problem.  No pictures of Hope Valley unfortunately.

• RMweb Gold

There does appear to be information of the stations in some photos Chris. I remember those days well.

Don

Don,

Sorry, I meant that the station names were not in German so you could see where they were.  I usually like steam trains in grey but somehow these seem more 'real', as in I remember those days but not necessarily the locos from that time.  Too long ago!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if the "lounge" is for railway or non-railway topics.

Anyway, we've just had new LED streetlights installed. Nice to get away from that sodium-glare.

Hahaha, Title SORT of gives it away mate, but not been in for ages.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yet one more Member to the 2016 Super Group in the Sky, Rick Parfett, RIP,

Saw then once, and I have one of his Plectrums, that I will cherish.

Yes, it seems to have been a bad year for some of the artists I've enjoyed over the years.

Often mocked, but I've always had a soft spot - and plenty of their albums on LP and CD - for the Quo.

Jeff

Archived