Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Yes Billy. Do remember the Lounge was set up to discuss the niceties of cooking, knitting, bear-baiting, cross-country skiing and tiddlywinks. I think it is morally wrong to digress into railway-related topics on here! Tut, tut!!  :nono:

Bill - excellent summary of the 4MTs. I think they are lovely models. The Hornby 4MT is regarded as the pinnacle, but I prefer (and have more) Bachmann's version. I hope Michael is now suitable informed!!

Michael is now suitably better informed!  Thank you all, especially Bill.  I shall start looking for some stock to go with it.

Is it wrong that I've still got the loco out of its box where I can look at it?  I think I'm getting a liking for kettles :nono:

As penance for going off-topic I shall investigate DCC for my 4MT... :O

• RMweb Gold

Now I must admit that I much prefer tea to coffee in the hot drink dept, so long as it's nice and strong with only a spot of milk. However my preferred drink is a nice new world shiraz, unless there's a malt going (but not the peaty stuff though). Anybody making plans for York yet?

Banned! BANNED! Moi? Humble apologies Lord Lunester. Honest guv it were an accident, never again, no, oh please.....not the rubber duck!

Now does anyone want to know about Duck Wabbling?

PS: I was going to mention that there was an XP (Express Passenger) rating from class 5 onwards but that would be naughty. Ooh! Stop it vicar, your bringing me over all a-tingle!!!!!

Bill (Humble Lune, 3rd Class)

Hey ALL I have just ordered BRM to get my ALMOST FREE LOCO, not a bad deal and will need one for my Steam Shed Layout. :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

Puffer Billy SORRY Lune :sungum:

Cor! I went and bought my 4MT a few weeks ago. Does that mean I'll get BRM free now?

Only A Northern Lune

• RMweb Gold

Didn't get chance to post last night but I did manage to read through (e.g. catch up) all the posts in Lunester Land. Doncaster was a great show, as I'm sure that any of you who went or have looked in the BCB sub-forum will know, and I got to play trains on BCB all day yesterday (I had an hour 'off' for lunch). It's funny, the BCB team thanked Paul, Stubby and I for helping out with the operating and all of us looked at them like they were mad; it was a total and utter privilege and I for one would never have passed up such a chance; best layout at the show? Without a doubt. Shame I never got to meet you Billy; I was around the BCB layout for quite a while on Saturday (wearing my black baseball cap) and when not there, was gawping at the 2 L&Y layouts (Hebden Bridge and the superb Ogden Fold) or chatting to the L&Y Society guys upstairs. Ogden Fold has set me off wanting to back-date Bacup to L&Y days as the locos, liveries and freight stock is just so much nicer than the later BR stuff. It won't happen though :(

Jason,

What would it take to back date Bacup?  I have not looked through it with a fine tooth comb but you would know anyway.  I do not seem to remember Velux roof windows and new extensions, which I think would be after your period anyway.  If you went back before 1905 then you would have to have different road materials; do concrete paving stones look much different from granite ones?  Would it be possible to have a few removable senic bits that define the era?  You could then swap these out and model two ears.  I have not looked recently but I know Mikkel was going to do something similar, but of course his layouts are tiny.

You could then model L&Y to your hearts content and build period locos and 4 & 6 wheel coaches.

Sorry, I have probably missed something blindingly obvious.

• RMweb Premium

There isn't much really, other than the station would need completely different signage and a repaint from cream/maroon. The pavements could all be painted to match whatever the suitable surface was, only the cobbled streets have been finished so far (others are in a base grey colour but need raising to match the height of the cobbles anyway), and I think that's it.

It won't happen though, as I would need to build so much stock. I might build a couple of the L&Y classes that *just* made it into BR days though, and have It's My Layout running sessions :)

• RMweb Gold

;)

There isn't much really, other than the station would need completely different signage and a repaint from cream/maroon. The pavements could all be painted to match whatever the suitable surface was, only the cobbled streets have been finished so far (others are in a base grey colour but need raising to match the height of the cobbles anyway), and I think that's it.

It won't happen though, as I would need to build so much stock. I might build a couple of the L&Y classes that *just* made it into BR days though, and have It's My Layout running sessions :)

I'm being difficult.  How soon after the grouping did signs change and stations get painted?  Was it before or after they changed locos?  Sorry, I am not being difficult just trying to think of a way for you to do it.

I understand about building locos and rolling stock, it would take you ages and you may never have a different layout.

Of course the real problem is, and I know as I watched 'All our Yesterdays' which was a program that looked back 25 years ago this week, and the first week was in 1937, is that everything before 1945 was in black and white, and they had less light, well I think that is what they meant by 'the dark days of WWII'  Sorry.  ;)

• RMweb Premium

;)

I'm being difficult.  How soon after the grouping did signs change and stations get painted?  Was it before or after they changed locos?  Sorry, I am not being difficult just trying to think of a way for you to do it.

I understand about building locos and rolling stock, it would take you ages and you may never have a different layout.

Of course the real problem is, and I know as I watched 'All our Yesterdays' which was a program that looked back 25 years ago this week, and the first week was in 1937, is that everything before 1945 was in black and white, and they had less light, well I think that is what they meant by 'the dark days of WWII'  Sorry.  ;)

Problem is, I'm currently modelling Bacup as it was around 1960 onwards and I'm sure that the LMS wouldn't have left too much in the way of L&Y signage up. I could go back to late LMS / early BR but nope, it'll stay as it is with a few early stragglers. Look at the link below for instance, a Hughes class 30 0-8-0. What a monster, withdrawn in October 1950

http://www.lostockhallmpd.org.uk/wpimages/wpbb46bc03_0f.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just scanning through the 7 pages of LL - to date. What a varied lot of discussions we've had. Does anyone know if there are any other "subgroups" like the Lunesters on the Forum. If so, do they have anything like this?

I also wonder how many of these posts would have been on KL if they weren't in here?

Jeff 

I also wonder how many of these posts would have been on KL if they weren't in here?

Jeff 

I suspect a few less - but I think it's good to shift the off-topic posts away from the layout.  

I think the closest styles of thread are a couple of the Wheeltappers threads ("Early Risers" being the big one...)

• RMweb Premium

I sincerely hope not..........

PS Jeff, congratulations on achieving 2000 "likes"

Cheers Peter. Not quite as many as Jason, but a few more than Andy P. So I must be doing something "right"!!

I also think a thread like this is good because it allows people to discuss relevant (sometimes) matters without feeling guilty about "hijacking" someone's thread. Not that I've ever really worried about that on KL - I think there was only one occasion when a discussion went on for a couple of pages with me peripheral to it!

Did I miss something about your London trip, Peter? What exciting activities were you pursuing - camera in hand - in the "old smoke"?

Jeff

I suspect a few less - but I think it's good to shift the off-topic posts away from the layout.  

I think the closest styles of thread are a couple of the Wheeltappers threads ("Early Risers" being the big one...)

But have they got as many people with such a silly sence of humour?

Similar musical taste, and almost all COFFEE DRINKERS???????

Old Lune :sungum:

The reason for today's trip to London was to look around an "All-through" school in Blackheath.

It's on the cards that we might be extending from our current Yr7 - Yr13 to have an "all-through" school from Reception - Yr13.

The school lunch wasn't too bad. The apple crumble and custard was particularly nice.

Of course I also took my camera with me on the off-chance.....

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

Has it not struck you that it has to be more than coincidence that we happen to be called Lunesters, given our crazy sense of humour.

I could have called the layout anything, eg. Kirkby Hamstead - then we'd have been Hamsters..... Doesn't quite ring with the Luny thing, does it?

Btw, check in on KL tomorrow - if you can see any pics for the devastation-fallout of plaster dust!!

Jeff

Hi all,

Sorry to take you all off topic again, but I don't like coffee, so can't join in those discussions...

Can I take advantage of your opinions?  I've been thinking about my 4MT all day (apparently I should have been working  :protest: ) and having dismissed some of the sillier ideas (I've no OO track at the mo, but 2 lengths of N Gauge side by side could give me somewhere to run it...) I'm thinking I might have a go at DCCing it and using it as a trial of DCC (I've never used it before).  So, a couple of questions for the collective:

1) What DCC system would you recommend?  Most people I know round here swear by the PowerCab(?), and it has some good reviews online, but are there better things out there?

2) (though perhaps this should be first) How easy is the Bachmann 4MT 2-6-0 to convert to DCC?

3) What decoder(s) do people recommend for OO locos?

Dee See Onlee Lune

1) What DCC system would you recommend?  Most people I know round here swear by the PowerCab(?), and it has some good reviews online, but are there better things out there?

2) (though perhaps this should be first) How easy is the Bachmann 4MT 2-6-0 to convert to DCC?

3) What decoder(s) do people recommend for OO locos?

Michael

I don't know what others recommend but

1. Depends on the amount of money you want to spend. At the moment I'm quite happy using the Hornby Elite. I haven't played with any of the others.

2. Pass

3. I use all Bachmann 8 pin.

Just my views and it seems to work for me (at the moment)

Duncan

Archived