Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

I would suggest that as you are completely new to steam engines and their workings you obtain a book like

Great Railway Photographs by Eric Treacy

or

The Golden Years of British STEAM TRAINS, Coiln Garratt on the work of The Rev. A.W.V. Mace

These are two books which cover a wide period of time and most of the country and so will give you a flavour of all the post grouping railways, and you may get a feel for a particular one you wish to model.

If you wished to stick with the 4MT then it would limit you to some areas but a change of number could deal with that.

Thanks for the suggestions Chris, I've just ordered them through AbeBooks.  Obviously somepeople don't appreciate them as much as we would - 64p each!

I think for the moment I'd be sticking with the 4MT - renumbering is an option, but not sure that I'd want to do that straight away...

Hi all lunesters

A layout related question - I have been studying Hellifield, but, there isn't enough width in my room to put the loco depot in its correct place on the up side of the line where the main line would curve back to the storage yard so, is it better to -

a: leave the depot out or

b: put the depot on the opposite side of the line to the prototype?

Opinions please

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hellifield...... lovely station but you are a braver man than I if you want to tackle the station buildings and canopies!

The depot was an integral part of Hellified so my vote would be to include it any way you can.

• RMweb Premium

Ian, I would have less worries about having the depot on the wrong side than not having it at all. Most people would only recognise the station throat and wouldn't notice the shed being transposed.

Andy

(I have a couple of scans from the MRC about the station if you want them)

Hi all lunesters

A layout related question - I have been studying Hellifield, but, there isn't enough width in my room to put the loco depot in its correct place on the up side of the line where the main line would curve back to the storage yard so, is it better to -

Opinions please

Ian

Ian

Having the loco shed adds to the realism, I would want to fit it in somewhere 

Humm I'm not convinced about the LMS porthole stock. The numbers produced were very small ( 15BFK, 100TK, 389 BTK and 240CK) so are not really representative of LMS stock. Realistically what are the chances of getting a full train load of them? Practically nill. Yes get one of them, but you will need far more normal Stainers and earlier stock to get the look right.

Andy G

Hi Andy (G)

I must admit that my coaching stock knowledge is, at best, general and given a lack of time due to my art commitments (for some strange reason I seem to have become very popular with American female collage students of late!), I buy ready-to-run stock where available with ex-LMS Stanier mainline stock from Hornby and BR Mk1 stock from Bachmann (Both mainline and non-corridor). I also have a couple of Comet Period 2 non-corridors and a rake of Dapol’s non-corridor stock which I’m improving with Flushglaze/white metal underframe details, etc. Unfortunately, as you’ll be aware, decent LMS stock is comparatively rare (in the case of non-corridor stock practically non-existent!) from the main manufacturers and in the period and area I model, 1950’s ex-LYR lines in Lancashire & West Yorkshire.

I usually build train formations based on photographs and mix-&-match types to get as near to prototype as I can so I rarely run trains of one stock type.

Fortunately Accrington and especially Colne had extensive carriage sidings for both local and excursion traffic and photographs show a wide variety of types from various non-corridor (Midland, LNWR, LMS and even L&Y origins) and assorted cascaded mainline vehicles including some Porthole stock). Mainline traffic usually originated in Leeds, Blackpool or Carlisle (via the S&C though Hellifield) so I can justify various Gresley and Thompson vehicles as well.

As I mentioned, my knowledge is sketchy at best but I would, of course, be more than happy to receive advice from much more knowledgeable chaps such as yourself

Regards

Bill

Hi all lunesters

Opinions please

Ian

Ian

Having seen photos of the station, I have to agree with Sandside. You're either brave or :jester:

Having said that, have you had a look at this site http://steverabone.com/Hellifield%20Website/layout_description.htm to give you a helping hand.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Bill,

If you've got carriage sidings then you will probably be able to get away with a few of the Portholes. Sadly we LMS types are very badly served as regard to coaching stock. I guess you are buying up the ex mainline P1 coaches that we all have to resort to? To get the real cross-section you either have to use etched kits or scratchbuild them. I'f your up for butchery, the LNWR Ratio 3rd class coach can be used for a variety of LNWR 3rds, often by just combining two or more sides. The Ratio Midland suburban ones can be made into round panelled 54ft stock too.

It's all very depressing to those who just want to run trains!

BTW you are doing it the correct way, get photos and giggling what you have to fit. Good man!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the suggestions Chris, I've just ordered them through AbeBooks.  Obviously somepeople don't appreciate them as much as we would - 64p each!

I think for the moment I'd be sticking with the 4MT - renumbering is an option, but not sure that I'd want to do that straight away...

Excellent!  I was a bit worried about recomending them as I thought they were out of print but I have managed to get some quite esoteric books that are out of publication.  64p is great!  They are all B&W, which I think is better for steam as it is more atmospheric.  It may leave you with more questions than answers but you may see some locos & go 'wow!'. 

I've always liked Pannier tanks for some reason, but they were introduced after the period I have decided to model. I could always move it forward a few years I suppose.  Still, I do like Victorian outlines of locomotives, and it was a period of great pride of the railways, with stories of cleaned express engines travelling to the station to their train with a cloth behind the funnel to catch the dirty water from the chimney so as they stood waiting to depart they appeared spotless!

Let me know how you get on with them.  I like them because they show the steam railway when it was in its heyday and not being run down and replaced.

Bill,

If you've got carriage sidings then you will probably be able to get away with a few of the Portholes. Sadly we LMS types are very badly served as regard to coaching stock. I guess you are buying up the ex mainline P1 coaches that we all have to resort to? To get the real cross-section you either have to use etched kits or scratchbuild them. I'f your up for butchery, the LNWR Ratio 3rd class coach can be used for a variety of LNWR 3rds, often by just combining two or more sides. The Ratio Midland suburban ones can be made into round panelled 54ft stock too.

It's all very depressing to those who just want to run trains!

BTW you are doing it the correct way, get photos and giggling what you have to fit. Good man!

Andy G

Thanks Andy

As I mentioned in my last post, at the moment I'm struggling to even get round to track-laying because of my other commitments. I've erected the baseboards three times now and had to knock them down again.

Over the last few months my artwork has received a boost in popularity so I've had to respond and concentrate on that. Part of which includes a visit to Washington State in May to stay with friends and give a series of talks at local collages on my work and related 3D art. Also upcoming is a question and answer session by weblink with a bunch of students in Japan (to be chaired incidentally by a rather gorgeous young lady by the name of Rumiko!). Lot's of preparation and very little time for modelling so I'm afraid kit and scratch-building are a distant dream for the moment. Not to mention the research I'll need to do to get them right!.

Regards

Bill - Currently hiding behind the settee in the hope that my agent will be kidnapped by orcs!

• RMweb Gold

Over the last few months my artwork has received a boost in popularity so I've had to respond and concentrate on that. Part of which includes a visit to Washington State in May to stay with friends and give a series of talks at local collages on my work and related 3D art. Also upcoming is a question and answer session by weblink with a bunch of students in Japan (to be chaired incidentally by a rather gorgeous young lady by the name of Rumiko!). Lot's of preparation and very little time for modelling so I'm afraid kit and scratch-building are a distant dream for the moment. Not to mention the research I'll need to do to get them right!.

Regards

Bill - Currently hiding behind the settee in the hope that my agent will be kidnapped by orcs!

Bill,

Really pleased to hear this, that you have lots of work that is.  Most artists only make money after they are dead so I am told so I think you are ahead of the game.

Hope it continues to go well.

Bill,

Really pleased to hear this, that you have lots of work that is.  Most artists only make money after they are dead so I am told so I think you are ahead of the game.

Hope it continues to go well.

Thank you kind sir! I must admit I am pleased with the positive responses I've had lately. As for making money, well that happens when my agent (bless her little cotton socks) gathers it all together from whoevers daft enough to buy my stuff (currently American female collage students he types with trembling hands!) and sends me a check which is usually about 3 times a year. The rest of the time it only feels like I'm dead. At least the frequent late nights have one benefit. By the time I get to Washington, at least we'll both be in the same time zone and I'll be able to keep my eyes open. Usually I'm so slow it takes me three weeks to suffer from jet lag!!!! :)

P.S. I won't mention the Japanese because they like everybody!

Have fun

Bill

REQUEST FROM THE OLD LUNE, I have had a night at my Club and I come back to another 2 pages, I cant keep up, I will be up all night now. hahahaaa

L :sungum: :boast: :boast:

Greetings Old Master Lune

Har Har! Just think what it'll be like when you start the next layout or open the Trebudoc Tavern!!!

• RMweb Premium

Well done Bill. It's nice to hear of other people's successes on here. "Make hay while the sun shines", as they say. The railway will still be there when you return from your exciting trips!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Greetings Old Master Lune

Har Har! Just think what it'll be like when you start the next layout or open the Trebudoc Tavern!!!

Bill - I wonder if he's actually looked at the Lunester infestation on the Trebudoc thread!! Will the Trebudoc Tavern ring any bells!  :jester:

No doubt Andy will get his own back!

Jeff

Bill - I wonder if he's actually looked at the Lunester infestation on the Trebudoc thread!! Will the Trebudoc Tavern ring any bells!  :jester:

No doubt Andy will get his own back!

Jeff

I am here you know :O  I can see what you lot are up to, and I have been watching on my phone most of the evening,

You will get a better drink at Glenfinick when it gets started, hahhhaeee

Hock Eye The Nooooooooooooooooooooo :sungum:

I'm only worried that he might ring seven bells out of us Jeff! That FMR static grass thingy would make a pretty fearsome weapon, not to mention the six inch earthing nail.

Bill - Hiding under the bed Lune.

Now your having ago :no:

What is this have a go at athe sold dune nite :stinker: hhhhaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeee

• RMweb Premium

I once saw (I think it was) Mickey reach 55 posts in a 24 hour period in the Top Daily Posters table. If you carry on at this rate, Andy, you're going to go close!

What was that about Glenfiddick - now what's that, then? I'll stick to my caffeine addiction.

Btw, Andy - you mentioned about wet mod-rock on T. I've stacks of the stuff at the mo - it's taking about 3 days to dry out (yes, it sets hard in minutes).

Jeff

Jeff, I beat you 36 to 26, hahhaaaa

Edit, just re checked it was actually 37

37 Post that's some world class posting if it was an Olympic sport you would be a cert for the team along with Jeff and plenty of other lunesters vying for that 3rd spot

Carry on posting

Now there's a thought, who would we get to play AndyP & Jeff from the carry on film cast, "no stop messing about"  :declare:

Archived