Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

PS to my last post (#197) because RMWeb was having one of it's silly moments:

My dad used to dry it in the oven together with sawdust (See Jeff for that, he should have a mountain of the stuff by now!) but don't blame me if Her Indoors gives you a clip around the ear if she catches you!

PPS: Guagemaster Prodigy by choice. Easy to use and reasonably priced.

PPPS: Love the pic of the Hound of the Andyvilles. She's (He's?) a cutey!

• RMweb Premium

PS to my last post (#197) because RMWeb was having one of it's silly moments:

My dad used to dry it in the oven together with sawdust (See Jeff for that, he should have a mountain of the stuff by now!) but don't blame me if Her Indoors gives you a clip around the ear if she catches you!

PPS: Guagemaster Prodigy by choice. Easy to use and reasonably priced.

PPPS: Love the pic of the Hound of the Andyvilles. She's (He's?) a cutey!

Bill, you are quite correct in that assertion. I've filled a Dyson's worth in the last week! However, because there's other rubbish in there, I don't keep it - it goes in the bin.

Re. the DCC questions that Michael asked. Michael, you may have gathered that almost any decent system will do the job you want - and people certainly do like to stick up for their own systems. I also agree with whoever said it - the hardest part about decoder fitting is getting the body off the loco. Diesels are general very simple, some steamers are a nightmare (older Britannias in particular - the new ones have the chip in the tender). Plug and play, with no soldering involved is a great boon.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well the Lunesters are dominant today: currently we occupy the top 4 places in "Today's Top Posters".

Well done folks!!

Off to help with some Physics, then it's out with the mod-roc...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I

Andy (G), I agree with you about technology for technology's sake - there does seem to be too much of "this is technology, therefore it must be good, therefore we must use it" thinking around for my liking.  With no thought to if it is holistically a better thing.  Never thought about the deterrent effect of a signalman before...

We do have our uses! Mind you it's the S&T that I find scary!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Michael,

In London probably two or three times a week there are 'signalling problems'.  I am led to believe that these are often not electronics going down but the copper cables having been taken.

Not sure if the same is true for the overhead power supply problems.

Well the OHLE has been stolen on more than one occasion, and that's with the stuff LIVE too!

As to other problems, just think about the answer to this question: How do you save 20% of costs?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Andy

I have to agree with you. 14 control centres, is not a good way to go for so many reasons but there are many other public services that are trying to work in a similar fashion.

Local knowledge and eyes on an area of your responsibility can't be beaten. Only you can understand the local issues and react to them if needed, faster and normaly with less disruption.

As for the job situation, I realy hope that there is a massive change in the job market before you get to that stage. I'm in exactly that situation and it isn't good.

Duncan

Between My box and the next there is a 10 mile stretch of single line. This single line has about 15 User Worked Crossing (UWC's) on it. Some have phones to the box, some don't. At least two of these crossings have the same name (with just a different number at the end). At harvest time we get alot of traffic over some crossings, last year one crossing called the box 50 times in one shift for permission to cross. I hope that they are prepared for that level of telephone calls in Romford when the boxes go!

Duncan I do feel for you, it's pretty bleak in this neck of the woods for jobs, unless you want to care for dribbly old folks. Theres not even the jobs on the land now, as the foriegners have that stitched up. I just hope that I can get a job in Tescos or similar.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Well the OHLE has been stolen on more than one occasion, and that's with the stuff LIVE too!

As to other problems, just think about the answer to this question: How do you save 20% of costs?

Andy

I thought I had heard that but I did not want to say much as we have profeesionals on here.

There used to be a signal box next to a level crossing in Colchester, which they closed a couple of years ago.  My collegue says that he is not two happy about using the crossing now, and felt safer with a signalman in the box.

Well the Lunesters are dominant today: currently we occupy the top 4 places in "Today's Top Posters".

Well done folks!!

Jeff

And some other's are not that far off... ;)

Just make sure you get it the right way round Jeff, I'm not sure the layout would understand about Planck's constant...

I've just been reading an article about the archeological discovery of the remains of King Richard III under a car park in Leicester. Blimey! I know they have trouble with people dodging parking fee's but I think Leicester Council have over-reacted a bit there!

• RMweb Gold

I've just been reading an article about the archeological discovery of the remains of King Richard III under a car park in Leicester. Blimey! I know they have trouble with people dodging parking fee's but I think Leicester Council have over-reacted a bit there!

I noticed they did a forensic reconstruction of his face, and guess what, it looks like his picture!  That's a surprise.

Reading about his injuries he obviously was not liked, or it should be taken as a warning to make sure that you have enough hours on your car park ticket.  ;)

So who's going to hide next

post-16878-0-37698100-1360700154.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Off down to the club now - I'll get to try my new kettle, and probably discuss DCC a lot too...

Amazing what a new "toy" can do to a man! Michael - just as on this thread, you'll never be short of a conversation about DCC (usually DCC vs DC) at your club.

As for Planck's constant - pretty hard to avoid in Physics. Thankfully it didn't need to be considered when choosing the type of mod-roc to buy!

As for Richard III: I used to hate the guy - after being made to study the play as part of my English Lit O-level, aeons ago. I think when I sat the exam Richard was only recently deceased!

Off to check out the PVA in the bunker now.

Jeff

So who's going to hide next

attachicon.gifrichard-iii.jpg

News just in says Leicester Council's legal department are preparing a Bill for parking fees for 1 groat plus 528 years interest to be sent to Buckingham Palace. No reaction from the palace yet but we understand from reliable sources that Her Majesty the Queen has ordered the Tower of London to be made ready for occupation! :)

Well done folks!!

Jeff

Where do you see the TOP POSTERS? mate

Old Lune :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Andy, go to the main forum page, scroll right down to the bottom, and you'll see a link that says 'todays top posters' - Jeff was leading by a long way earlier.  Scarily, he was at almost 4% of todays posts when I looked...

Ironically, Michael, the roles have been reversed. The Old Lune is now scorching ahead!!

Hope you had an informative night at the club re. DCC and your steam engine!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I hope we don't become TOO dominant or the Management will be closing us down!!

Having said that, I think we provide enough ACTIVE threads to warrant the posting we do. As a summary, from the major Lunesters, here's our layout/kit/general-build threads. Will you let me know if you are aggrieved because I've missed you out?

Andy P:  Trebudoc and Glen Roy

Jason:  Bacup

Scott:  Stockrington

Jim:  Hemyock

BillyB:  Shedington

Duncan:  Oxted

Ian:  LMS 1947

Mike:  Dent

Michael: 009 layout/Leeds South

Polly:  GWR

James:  Long Marton

Andy:  Highland embankment/Highland bodgery

John:  German HO

Jonathan: Brassmasters Black 5 project

Jeff:  Kirkby Luneside

Pretty impressive collection of ONGOING layouts/projects by any standard!

Jeff

*ahem...  I have my Leeds South thread too - which is getting more posts than the 009 at the moment, even if the 009 looks more interesting, and don't forget the club layout, but I don't want to scare the rest of the club by tagging it as a loony layout :-D

Ironically, Michael, the roles have been reversed. The Old Lune is now scorching ahead!!

Hope you had an informative night at the club re. DCC and your steam engine!

Jeff

So I see - I seem to be languishing at the bottom of page, I must think up more reasons to post...

Yes, very informative.  I even got it running round the permanent layout we have in the clubrooms (once I'd figured out how it works...)  Plenty of books consulted, end result, I now know everything I've already been told on here!  

DCC wise I think I"m going to end up with a NCE PowerCab - the club layout uses the pro-cab setup, and a couple of members already have PowerCabs as their systems, and one has already gone through the upgrade path with them - so I have on-tap help, it will be compatible with the club DCC layout, it's a fully featured, upgradable system, and (most importantly) I'm happy with the price - afterall I'm only wanting to try DCC, not convert totally.

Also had an interesting discussion re converting the 4MT to EM gauge - apparently there is an EM Society kit to do it.

Though I think now it's time for it to get its own (loony) thread.  Just got to figure out where to put it...

Archived