Modern 7.5 tonne trucks

PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived today. As Merf said they are very easy to modify. I'll be doing very little to the IKEA one, British registration plates, removal of Chinese characters from doors and changing one letter on the e-mail address. The chassis are generic so swapping cabs/bodies should not be a problem. I also intend chopping the canopy supports on the dropside to make a frame for a headboard.

In all some very good models of a type of modern truck that has up to now not been produced.

• RMweb Premium

Been having a good look at these now. First of all a warning, the door mirrors can fall off very easily, luckily the carpet monster was in a good mood today. The body is secured by a second screw at the rear of the body, on the dropside this is concealed by the tail lift which will have to be removed to access the screw. Looking at alternative bodies I have found that the Cararama American HO scale sliding bed car recovery body has exactly the same length and width as the dropside so I will try the conversion.

Mine came today too and first impressions are very positive although I haven't tried to dismantle them yet. The Mitsubishi is indeed the original style of Canter as sold in the UK, but the later (current?) style is available from Tomica as a 1/74 scale spectacle lift recovery vehicle - I've just bought one of those too and coincidentally it also arrived today so I've been able to compare it side-by-side with the Best Choose version. The copyright date on this is 2002 so the type modelled by Best Choose must be older than that. Since ordering these I've noticed a lot of these Isuzus and Mitsubishis just in my home town so they won't look out of place in a UK scene. Will get some photos tomorrow as it's too dark now.  

• RMweb Premium

The Tomica one is also obsolete, it has been replaced in model form by the current model but they have only continued the van version, the new model is to 1/68 scale. Incidently the spectacle lift vehicle has been replaced by a road layer that is to 1/77 scale.

PS if you go to the site on post # 22 and click on Tomica you will find the road layer second item on page 5.

Some pics as promised - first time doing this so apologies if I've done anything wrong. The blue Isuzu is an older NPR and I'm not sure if this was ever sold in the UK so this one may be recabbed, but the others are a common sight over here.

post-16790-0-80588900-1361535345.jpg

post-16790-0-50646900-1361535335.jpg

post-16790-0-91883100-1361535338.jpg

post-16790-0-72720700-1361535348.jpg

post-16790-0-08080900-1361535352.jpg

post-16790-0-77414500-1361535356.jpg

post-16790-0-44108100-1361535360.jpg

With the earlier Hino tipper

post-16790-0-52054300-1361535342.jpg

And the Tomica Canter, thanks to an earlier tip-off that the Best Choose version reminded me of. It's marginally larger than 1/76 but barely noticeable; needs some better wheels though.

post-16790-0-41930900-1361535329.jpg

post-16790-0-65800300-1361535363.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Tomica also do a crew cab Mitsubishi Canter as a fire engine. There's some on e-bay, (item # 170981212761). This is to the same scale as their other Mitsubishi but a bit less crude. The down side is that it is a special narrow version and the model is a one piece casting. The wheels from the EFE minibus are the right size for these models.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally, I'd say that what you're looking at is the equivalent of say a 15xx or a class 15. Yes, they were used, but they're not that popular. Your average 7.5 tonner these days is a DAF LF series or IVECO EuroCargo.

Bit strange as they still use ratchet handbrakes, hydraulic footbrakes and clutches...

HTH

Phil

I drive a fridge bodied DAF LF45 that tips the scales at 4.9 tonnes unladen, and only has a carrying capacity of 2.5 tonnes.

Most European 7.5tonne truck chassis are 'Built down' to the nominal 7.5tonne weight, but the Japanese truck chassis, such as those modelled above, are 'built up' to the nominal 7.5tonne weight, the difference in construction methods used means that the Japanese models are able to carry more goods than an equivelant european model.

The haulage world is divided on the merits though, the European vehicles being built heavily are favoured for longer runs, whilst the Japanese vehicles are favoured for city based deliveries. (at the moment).

Mercedes-Daimler-Benz sell the Mitsubishi light (7.5tonne) range in the UK, despite the fact that MB have their own 7.5tonne range.

The Japanese are also leading the way on hybrid delivery vehicles, without the weight penalty having a major effect on the carrying capacity of the vehicle.

I currently drive an Isuzu curtainsider 4.8tonne with tail lift and all my ADR kit on board leaving 2.7 tonnes for load find it pretty good all round cab slightly cramped but ok biggest thing missing is no cruise control for long journeys and small fuel tank .

• RMweb Premium

There is a distinct possibility that Oxford will be producing a Ford Cargo in the not too distant future. They have produced one for the Atlas 'Eddie Stobart' series.

Bought a Del Prado Iveco Cargo  crew cab fire engine  in 1.72 scale a while back to convert to crew cab tipper but its a very big 1.72 if you know what I mean-

http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/item_detail.aspx?itemfind=DEL%20PRADODP-002

http://www.transport-models.com/picture/number745.asp

Not 7.5te but also bought a  Del Prado Renault Kerax fire appliance  which looks very close to 1.76 and will make a good tipper or mixer for a modern scene. They are quite popular with the tipper and mixer boys in UK.

http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/item_detail.aspx?itemfind=DEL%20PRADODP-099

• RMweb Premium

Bought a Del Prado Iveco Cargo  crew cab fire engine  in 1.72 scale a while back to convert to crew cab tipper but its a very big 1.72 if you know what I mean-

http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/item_detail.aspx?itemfind=DEL%20PRADODP-002

http://www.transport-models.com/picture/number745.asp

Not 7.5te but also bought a  Del Prado Renault Kerax fire appliance  which looks very close to 1.76 and will make a good tipper or mixer for a modern scene. They are quite popular with the tipper and mixer boys in UK.

http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/item_detail.aspx?itemfind=DEL%20PRADODP-099

The Renault Kerax is exactly 1/76 scale and can be found on e-bay for less than £10. One of these converted to a tipper can be seen on Warren Lane but appears to be camera shy. The wheel and tyre detail is stupendous, it actually has different tread patterns on the front and rear tyres.

I converted a Del Prado Iveco Cargo crewcab fire engine, to a recovery vehicle, I had to lengthen the chassis & change the wheels:

161120091286.jpg

161120091289.jpg

171120091290.jpg

171120091291.jpg

181120091298.jpg

181120091300.jpg

181120091302.jpg

181120091306.jpg

IMG_8056.jpg

IMG_8499.jpg

IMG_8502.jpg

IMG_8503.jpg

Cheers, Chris.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a distinct possibility that Oxford will be producing a Ford Cargo in the not too distant future. They have produced one for the Atlas 'Eddie Stobart' series.

You can purchase the Ford Cargo from the Eddie Stobart Website for £16.99 plus postage

cheaper than several going on ebay

http://www.stobartclubandshop.co.uk/old-livery-models/eddie-stobart-ford-cargo-curtainside-lorry/0/1/

I purchased a couple and am in the process of turning on into a flatbed with a shortened chasis

• RMweb Premium

You can purchase the Ford Cargo from the Eddie Stobart Website for £16.99 plus postage

cheaper than several going on ebay

http://www.stobartclubandshop.co.uk/old-livery-models/eddie-stobart-ford-cargo-curtainside-lorry/0/1/

I purchased a couple and am in the process of turning on into a flatbed with a shortened chasis

I've alsuo purchased one, together with the T cab curtainside and the tanker. I'm waiting for the special screwdrivers now needed to remove the models from the bases.

Archived