"Alcazar"...the build begins...but slowly.

JeffP

Why so much side play? Front and rear nothing middle about half to three quarters of a millimeter. Also is the lack of free running tight bearings rather than being out of line. I use a 190 thou reamer to give running clearance.

Side-play: It is what it is with the bearings in place. I have at present two etched washers per wheel. I'm going to look at more.

Free-running: no, when the axle passes through only ONE bearing, it spins freely. When passed through TWO, it goes tight. And that's despite having reamed them, in situ, as a pair.

Brake-shoes: they probably aren't too close, but with the amount of movement I'm getting, and finding hard to control, they CAN come in contact with the flanges.

More work needed..........

Hi Jeff,

Something is either skew-wiff ( southern saying I think ?) side ways or you have to much up and down movement, can you try one axle at a time or front and back only so you can try and narrow down the problem. In my opinion it sounds like the frames are not square or a hornguide or two might be just out of alignment, that's all it take's to bind up an axle.

Shame you were not a bit closer or I would of given you a hand :senile: .

ATB,

Martyn.

That's what I think, Martyn.

But when the hornguides were fitted, I had silver steel rods fitted through each pair, and all were at 90 deg to the frames and parallel to one another. I just can't understand it.

I'll have another look tomorrow...unless the fuel pipe clips I've been waiting a week for arrive. Then I can replace the split fuel pipe on my Impreza.

But when the hornguides were fitted, I had silver steel rods fitted through each pair, and all were at 90 deg to the frames and parallel to one another. I just can't understand it.

I'll have another look tomorrow...unless the fuel pipe clips I've been waiting a week for arrive. Then I can replace the split fuel pipe on my Impreza.

Can your hornblocks change orientation? They may not be perfectly symmetrical.

The Nim.

Hello JeffP,

this sounds an odd one, lets start with a few questions rather than guessing.

1] are the frames still straight and true, if not re straighten them. 

2] have you had the axleboxs out of the horn guides, If you have your going to play the find the matched pair game, hours of fun.

3] if all of the above are OK. Re-ream all of the axleboxs going right through from both sides. It can also help if you do them at an angle with the box's near the top and bottom of there travel. If you end up doing this do it with the CSBs in place

Axle side play, all you should need is from the front, 0, 0.5mm, 0.5mm rear 0. That should get you round 6' rad curves. 

OzzyO.

LOL, glued, they are the slaters insulating types. They are also drilled and bolted in place.

Ozzy:

Frames are still straight.

All axleboxes marked before removal.

I'll give that suggestion a try, once the lad is up....my workbench is in the loft and he's on nights.

I'll give that suggestion a try, once the lad is up....my workbench is in the loft and he's on nights.

Jeffp,

straight is one thing. But are they still true. That is do they have no twist in them

for some jobs you don't need a machine to do it with, as some times the "feel" of the hand works better.

OzzyO.

PS. or you could start working nights as well.

PPS. can you put a photo up of the frames as they are now?

• 9 months later...

No news yet man! Ducky from across the pond............

Really happy that you posted this comment as it brought the thread to the top of the list and has given me the chance to read it from start to finish.

Sometimes if I really get stuck on a bit I put it aside and do something else. Why not build the bogie or the backhead detail? A bit of success will motivate you to get the tender chassis finished.

Otherwise I will ask OzzyO if there is room in his team for another black suit...............

Archived