Pen y Bryn

phil.c

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Fanatstic stuff Phil, and you've achieved a very convincing concrete effect on the er, whatever it is! How did you create that finish?

Many thanks, Dave.

It's a slurry settleing tower which is fed from the washery, the slurry at the end of the process is sent via conveyance belts etc to a dump.

Mine is made from card which was washed over with Polyfilla, painted with water based paint and then dusted over (weathered) with black paint.

Phil

I can only echo what others have said, but I really felt I had to express my thanks to you for showing us this lovely model. I love the colliery particularly, it captures some of the atmosphere I remember from several collieries, visited in the early seventies but never forgotten. I also love your scrapyard scene, and the way the backscene works so well. I shall be looking out for the article to appear in the press!

all the best,

Iain

Thanks Ben, appreciated greatly!

Thanks Iain, having worked in two collieries when I was younger, I tried to capture that unique atmosphere, i'm glad you think it works.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Mine is made from card which was washed over with Polyfilla, painted with water based paint and then dusted over (weathered) with black paint.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks very much for that, its a superbly convincing model. When you say "dusted over", do you mean you've used powder paint on it dry? or the normal dry-brushng technique?

I'm intrigued to know, as thats some of the best modelled concrete I've ever seen!

Thanks again,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention, the "dusting over" was with an airbrush. The Polyfilla gives a slightly rough surface so dry brushing won't really work, for best results it has to be an airbrush.

Also, i've just remembered, the concrete segments were lightly scribed when the Polyfilla was soft.

Any more questions, please ask.

Phil

WaterTowerdetailforum_zps137ef835.jpg

Edited by phil.c
  • Like 10

If the bit that needs work is across the window, then it needs a backscene if you want any chance of photographing it. The basics are looking good (of course). Are the brown areas at the front marsh, bog or intended water?