Pen y Bryn

phil.c

I need to stop looking at this thread! The modelling is uperb and I fear that it'll be beyond me for a very long time! :) Keep up the good work, are there any videos of this layout?

No videos at the moment, spending too much time "trying" to get it ready for magazine articles later on this year.

Magnificent modelling. I like the goods shed and the curved road up to the bridge. Did you scratch build the shed?

The goods shed was originally by Superquick, but has been cladded with Wills stone and roof slates.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Andy, the Vox is an AC30H2 which is the handwired 50th anniversary model.

Guitars:) 1963 Strat, owned since 1966, 1964 Burns Marvin, Eric Clapton USA Custom Shop, Cheapy Strat for midi work, Fender Jazz Bass, Les Paul, 1970's Yamaha acoustic and Taylor acoustic.

Phil

Hi Phil, sorry for the late reply, what a lovely selection of axe's.

I was Lead Guitar in a very UNSUCCESSFUL Shadows Tribute band, and I had the Fender Marvin copy, I've had all sorts from USA Inca Silver and Candy Apple Red Strats to an Epiphone Les Paul Gold Top. I've had Marshall and Fender Amps but as I said never the ultimate in tone, the AC30.

In my last band I was the Bassist and had a Westfield MacCartney Violin Bass plus the usual Jazz and Pression from Fender.

Back to maters Railway, thanks for some great pics over the last two pages and some really awesome Video footage.

Cheers.

Andy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Been away for a while, but  I've been developing another area of the layout, you might find it interesting :)

The area above the tunnel just been finished as a mountain, but Photoshopped until I shoot some more pictures.

Phil

New-Old%20lorry_zpsuwsnhlro.jpg

Lorry%201_zpsxfa9w5ot.jpg

Macro%202500_zpsidc9fghn.jpg

Lorry%20cows%202500_zpsa7fcvgre.jpg

New%201%20grey_zpsjthasumv.jpg

LOCO%201%202500_zpsxkyqkzue.jpg

LOCO%201%202500%20grey_zpsu6dw3owf.jpg

LOCO%202%202500_zpsq3eezi44.jpg

LOCO%202%20grey_zpsqubj7bw4.jpg

Edited by phil.c
  • Like 14

The houses were built for colliers when the pit was built, this street was put together from memory as I was brought up in one. No rear windows, just two up two down and a lean-to kitchen if you were lucky.

I remember bathing in a tin bath by the fire when I was very young, I also remember my father doing the same after work as he was an electric loco machanic underground.

DAD.%20Underground%20Loco0001_zpsiohzniz

The water stop tap was in the paving outside the front door and the toilet...at the bottom of the garden.

The railway line was at the bottom of the street and a quick walk over the track took me to the signal box where I spent many hours.

Most of the bedroom furnature was put in by taking out the upstairs windows as the stairs were the winding type at the corner of the room and I guess no wider than three feet.

Here's a step by step of what was done for those interested :mosking:

Brickheaders_zps6225236e.jpg

Chiselling_zpsf49c7bd2.jpg

Windows_zps7f832835.jpg

Front1_zps704a0962.jpg

Front2copy_zpseda4cd37.jpg

sidewalls_zpsda4194e7.jpg

Lights_zps776fcb81.jpg

Roof1_zps8438b888.jpg

Roof2_zpse75cd4d4.jpg

Paving1200_zpsede5f4af.jpg

3Edited1200sepia_zps194c1866.jpg

3Edited1200_zps85d396e4.jpg

A1_zpsdltfji9c.jpg

Closeup11500_zpsb8064069.jpg

Closeup22000_zpsf0e1a313.jpg

Houses%20Lorry%202500_zpscip6knuo.jpg

Houses%20Lorry%20Grey%202500_zpsfkaaq2q9

Edited by phil.c
  • Like 11

More exquisite work and really excellent photos too, thank you!

I really like your row of cottages, they look 'just right'.

May I ask, please? The point on the main-line behind the cottages and the walkway - why is it so very long? Not a criticism, I hasten to add as it looks superb and well done for building it. I just wondered if there is a special reason for it's length!

You can tell me to "go forth" if you wish, I'm just a nosy so & so!!!

Cheers,

John.

Thanks Andy,

There was a Cafe at the bottom of my road that this one is based on, also quite a few of those garages.

Thanks also for all the notifications!

Some back yards etc coming up tomorrow.

Phil

Here's the back of the houses, again based on what I remember, most of the houses had unkept gardens, a toilet at the bottom with a wooden board and a hole cut into it, toilet paper cut from newspaper and later, real toilet paper...what a luxury! There was also a coal shed next to it, the coal was delivered by lorry with two ways, if you were lucky, the coal men delivered and tipped it from bags, if you were not, a ton was dropped outside the back gate and had to be put in by hand. Where there was no back access, the coal which was bagged was carried right through the house to the coal shed causing a bit of a mess on rainy days and also on the wallpapered walls!

The tin bath hanging on a wall was a common sight, made from paper on the layout.

Rear3_zps38dd0132.jpg

Rear5_zpse117dfa4.jpg

Rear1_zps753d0791.jpg

Rear8_zps005dcc7a.jpg

Rear9_zps8315381b.jpg

Rear2_zpsbcc4d3db.jpg

Rear3_zps38dd0132.jpg

Rear4_zpsfa92514f.jpg

Flowerdetail_zps9885f1ec.jpg

Rear7_zps42f0503e.jpg

Rear6_zps734a8d78.jpg

New%20Camera%201_zpsyc1jxevp.jpg

LOCO%202%20grey_zpsqubj7bw4.jpg

Edited by phil.c
  • Like 13

Yes, still around and kicking David, it's finding the time for modelling, recording music and a full time job I have a problem with :D

I've not run a train for over a year, probably more as the modelling has taken over!

Phil