RMweb

ABERCYNON (FACH)

BRIAN T

I meant to say too Brian,
that I really like the colours & shades of the ground and ballast
They are shown to good effect in your "aerial" views above.....

What paints and colours did you use, and I assume it's airbrushed?

Marc

• RMweb Premium

This is looking great, Brian.  It's always a treat to come back and see what you've done.  Marvelous!

Who produces the hydrants and 'bags'?  They look superb.

I'm reading John Drayton's On the Footplate (Newport Dock Street / Ebbw Jct / Ponty, etc).  Absolutely wonderful reading.  His life on shed is so evocative - all those body loco parts I'm having to learn - and how they all fit together.  Does my head in at times. :mosking:

But it does help with the detailing....and the shopping list....  :mail: 

Enjoy Newport.  We'll be continuing work on Camel Quay for the Colwyn MRC Show - only a couple of months away...

Polly

I meant to say too Brian,

that I really like the colours & shades of the ground and ballast

They are shown to good effect in your "aerial" views above.....

What paints and colours did you use, and I assume it's airbrushed?

Marc

Hi matey, as shed yards in general were not well ballasted,I laid the track straight into a layer of GREENSCENE yard filth textured "stuff", making sure it was worked well in to make it flat,I then scattered,WOODLAND SCENICS fine cinders and real coal dust on top .

Using various matt black and track colour mixes ,I air brushed it all over to fade it back and blend it all in,which I think is very important on a layout this small.

This is looking great, Brian.  It's always a treat to come back and see what you've done.  Marvelous!

Who produces the hydrants and 'bags'?  They look superb.

I'm reading John Drayton's On the Footplate (Newport Dock Street / Ebbw Jct / Ponty, etc).  Absolutely wonderful reading.  His life on shed is so evocative - all those body loco parts I'm having to learn - and how they all fit together.  Does my head in at times. :mosking:

But it does help with the detailing....and the shopping list....  :mail: 

Enjoy Newport.  We'll be continuing work on Camel Quay for the Colwyn MRC Show - only a couple of months away...

Thanks Polly

The hydrants and tap stands are GEM items ,not sure what you mean by bags,

Enjoy Colwyn show up North

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

I'm not a GWR fan but I really like this! The colours and overall scene are excellent and it is hard to see how the layout is only 4' long or so. Excellent modelling.

I am planning a 'pointless' layout at the moment and so I am interesting in how you find the operation side of things. You mention you use a turntable in the fiddle yard... Does this work well? You can spy it in one of the photographs. Apologies if I missed this but what make is it? I am currently considering what to do in my fiddle yard - sector plate, traverser, cassettes etc. - so any pointers would be useful. I just imagine it is so important to get this aspect of the layout right from the outset in order to make for smooth operation.

Many thanks and more pics please!!

David

Hi Brian,

I'm not a GWR fan but I really like this! The colours and overall scene are excellent and it is hard to see how the layout is only 4' long or so. Excellent modelling.

I am planning a 'pointless' layout at the moment and so I am interesting in how you find the operation side of things. You mention you use a turntable in the fiddle yard... Does this work well? You can spy it in one of the photographs. Apologies if I missed this but what make is it? I am currently considering what to do in my fiddle yard - sector plate, traverser, cassettes etc. - so any pointers would be useful. I just imagine it is so important to get this aspect of the layout right from the outset in order to make for smooth operation.

Many thanks and more pics please!!

David

Hi David

The turntable is an Atlas ho turntable it is still available from retailers,it can be motorised,but I use the handcrank ,supplied ,it is not prototypical but that doesn't matter in this case ,as I was modelling a shed in a small space ,I racked my brains how I could get away with out using points,I am not very good with traversers and sector plates ,not now anyway ,so when I saw this turntable at Lord and Butlers,it clicked into my head,it works well and switches polarity too,as long as you line it up with the exit tracks spot on it's fine

Cheers

Brian

Hi Brian,

many thanks for your informative reply. As I mentioned I am currently planning a micro layout and I want to sort the fiddle yard before I do anything else. This type of arrangement could be an option and might be easier than trying to set up a sector plate etc. something which I have not had the greatest success with in the past. I'll have a look at what turntables are on the market.

I'll keep following your thread with interest.

David

Thanks all for your nice comments above ,and the conversation at Newport over the weekend,it was a really good show,in the the company of some very fine layouts, Maindee East,Abbotswood,Hornsey depot,Cashmores, Paynestown, Steelworks to name a few.

Abercynon fach performed well.

Next will be Lord and Butlers' open weekend in 2 weeks time.

Thanks again all

• Like 1

Hi a few new shots with new visitors to the shed ,taken outside in daylight.....whata treat,and,just to mention "ABERCYNON FACH" will be at the Newport Gwent show this weekend.

Thanks folks

Wonderful photography, thanks for sharing this great little layout with us all.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Abercynon Fach was at the Cardiff Model Railway Show last weekend and i managed to take some shots and video in between very busy periods during what was a very nice show with some greay layouts and superb modelling

post-7300-0-47991400-1382435988_thumb.jpg

post-7300-0-13493800-1382435990_thumb.jpg

post-7300-0-63358200-1382435991_thumb.jpg

post-7300-0-08739800-1382435993_thumb.jpg

post-7300-0-75696600-1382435994_thumb.jpg

post-7300-0-16830700-1382435996_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Don't you mean "That's 'arrrfff tidy, isn't it" ;)

EDIT: "Smaaaart it is an' all" "Remaaaarrkable"

We Turks are masters of understatement..

Just one question- what's the yellow-coated figure at the top of the retaining wall doing? I can't decide if he's sitting on the telegraph cable or indulging in some form of exhibitionism...