First Capital Connect - Blue or Purple?

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys!

I need to ask a really silly question!

I'm building a model of a First Capital Connect Class 377 Electrostar. What colour are they?

I've never been sure if they are actually blue or purple in colour, and being slightly colourblind doesn't help!!

I have a lovely tin of Phoenix First Group Blue here at home (as used on Great Western HST stock) but is this also the right colour for First Capital Connect? I also have a tin of First Magenta and think this is the right colour but happy to take advice...!

Normally I don't ask questions and just model on in blissful ignorance but thought you probably would notice if it was the wrong shade....

Many thanks! :)

It can look more purple in some light conditions. I'm on and off FGW units all day and I would say that it's a quite dark, but not very dark blue with, possibly, a hint of purple on the shade side on a sunny day. Of course we don't get many sunny days, so leave the purple out. Can't be any more help. Sorry.

• RMweb Gold

The 377s have the same all-over blue as the HSTs, rather than the vinyl treatment on the 319s, 365s, Turbos, etc. I would guess it is the same shade of blue / indigo as on the HSTs.

The 321s on FCC have also been painted, rather than all-over vinyled.

• RMweb Gold

I believe it's the same corporate blue but will have a look tomorrow as quite often there Ida FGW 165 and FCC 319 in across platform at Redhill.

Just bear in mind that FCC use vinyls on the complete side of the 319's and it does fade to a lighter blue as you go up the sides

Ian

It can look more purple in some light conditions. I'm on and off FGW units all day and I would say that it's a quite dark, but not very dark blue with, possibly, a hint of purple on the shade side on a sunny day. Of course we don't get many sunny days, so leave the purple out. Can't be any more help. Sorry.

Beware first barbie livery does vary, just look Class 185 compared to a 165!

XF

The 377s are a more like a solid dark blue (Oxford blue or darker) rather than purple although the graphic applied to the unit sides does contain purple and in some lights appears to cause the blue to look more purple. As others have said the colour is not like the fade down from blue to purple applied to the 319s. Although I live on the route and see the units daily there are a few videos on Youtube and photos available via google search.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks so much for the feedback and assistance guys! :)

I see the units now and then briefly racing alongside me on the A23 and have a few odd pics so have nailed most of the livery elements required but judging whether it'd be OK to use my large pot of FGW Blue paint was proving the toughest call!

It seems general consensus from this thread is towards the blue but if anyone has any further thoughts from seeing these units over the next few days then I'm all ears!

Many thanks!!

• RMweb Premium

I saw them during their comissioning trips prior to being handed over to FCC (P.S. Oi!! we want them back!!) and can confirm they had/have a base colour of First blue.  The FCC vinyls over the lower bodysides were applied later when they entered service but the doors etc are as built and painted.

The vinyls do vary in colour (more noticeable on the 319's that are roof to solebar vinyl - cheap and nasty) as some have faded and many have been utterly wrecked by FCC's dedicated army of North London graffiti morons.  It is noticeable that where good old hard paint is used, they look a lot better than the vinyl bits.

A recent modification to the FCC 377's has been the declassification of 1st Class at one end which has seen the removal of the 1st Class branding on one end, also the door to the PTSOL has been better identified with yellow stripes added in recent months to make them more obvious to platform staff and those with disabilities.

• 2 weeks later...

To mee it seems more purple than blue but looking at the un branded livery ex works looks more blue, I watched a vid of 2 together and they were 2 different shades of blue/purple between the 2 sets!

But they seems to look a mix and it depends on the set and how long they have been in the sun and how much the colour has faded?

Thanks,

Tom

Heres a link of some good pictures, there are some undranded pics on there as well so you can see comparison but I think FGW Blue is the answer.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fcc+electrostar&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=dC46UYPvJe-O7AaJyYDABQ&biw=768&bih=928&sei=eC46UdKaOarK0QWAjYDYDw

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi James,

Here is one of first groups new liveries...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pipsrailway/7643874860/

As first are lazy at designing logos, they get teenagers in hoodies with spray paint to do it for them, they just leave the gates open...

Loving that one! :) I've seen quite a few 'plastered' ones around now!

No offence to FCC but Southern manage to have a largely gorgeous fleet of decade-old Electrostars, while FCC have a motley collection of '09-vintage scum carts!! 

Great modelling inspiration though ;)

Model another southern then! They are better, I've been on FCC o EC and never will I again!! Been on southern and it was quite nice!

But the FCC livery looks pretty cool! But how about a 319 or whatever those units that are operated by FCC and always graffitied

Archived