Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Sure railway modelling is expensive, but compared to other hobbies...

....fortunately there is a complete spectrum of time/budget/skill combinations out there, which provide us with a limitless show of others creations, to savour.

How dull it would be if everyone was doing the same thing.

Dave

I am a recent convert to model railways from flying model aeroplanes, age and decrepit knees meant that I had to bow to the inevitable. At least wind, rain, snow, extremes of temperature and other cataclysms of nature don't tend to affect railway modellers too much.

The type of model flying I loved was control line team racing but that gets expensive at the top end with Kevlar and carbon models. RC can get even more expensive a TV programme showed the British RC aerobatics champion with his £6000 model! Bear in mind that the unforgiving ground can reduce these to pulp in the event of pilot error or component failure. I saw the demise of a scale B52 at the Nationals some years back - it was reputed to have cost nearly £20K, the mushroom shaped cloud was something to behold when it went in! The cause, pilot error he overbanked his approach and the resulting sideslip and spin did for it.

As for other expensive hobbies, I paint and spend a fortune on materials; the occasional sale of a picture doesn't remotely pay for what I spend but what the hell you only live once and time's flying past.

The problem is when you have more than one expensive hobby! Aside from railway modelling, there's collecting fine art, sailing, vinyl record collecting, book collecting and vintage lingerie collecting. Oh, and a mortgage - that's a real drain every month too. And I've discovered whiskies; lots of whiskies.

In my defence I drive a 17 year old car with 205,000 miles on the clock so at least there's one expensive hobby averted.

• Like 5

My old man decided to invest his pension savings in a Morgan car on the basis that they appreciate in value over time due waiting lists. As the recession bit he was quite smug that his investment was holding up better than the stock market so he was actually making money out of his extravagant hobby. That was until he tried to turn off a roundabout in the wet and put his investment through the central reservation. My railway modelling investments have held up better overall.

M

Penderyn is rather jolly and a very different alternative to Scotch single malt.

As for other hobbies, sad to say that 35 years' worth of 00 got sold last year to fund the rather large drain on resources that is our 15ton Aveling & Porter steam roller. I daren't tell Mrs C the full extent of what I've spent on it over 10 years taking it from a derelict wreck to a fully working machine. Suffice it to say that it's been  a 5 figure sum and I've never taken anything out of the household pot for it.

That said, I now have permission to board out the last unused bit of loft space for a layout...steam roller, it's payback time!

I am a recent convert to model railways from flying model aeroplanes, age and decrepit knees meant that I had to bow to the inevitable. At least wind, rain, snow, extremes of temperature and other cataclysms of nature don't tend to affect railway modellers too much.

And if you miss the weather you can always try garden railways

Interesting forum. Ixion produced its Hudswell Clarke locomotive to provide a relatively inexpensive entry-level RTR 0 Gauge locomotive. From what we hear it has been successful in attracting new enthusiasts to start in 0 Gauge. On a more general point, I don't tend to place a value on what I spend and the time I take building models because it is a leisure pursuit. However, it must be admitted that well built and finished 0 Gauge locomotives and carriages can appreciate in value.

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

The problem is when you have more than one expensive hobby! Aside from railway modelling, there's collecting fine art, sailing, vinyl record collecting, book collecting and vintage lingerie collecting. Oh, and a mortgage - that's a real drain every month too. And I've discovered whiskies; lots of whiskies.

In my defence I drive a 17 year old car with 205,000 miles on the clock so at least there's one expensive hobby averted.

The problem with whiskies is that you forget how to do other things after drinking it :jester:

• RMweb Premium

My latest collection of whiskies came from the MRC, sadly inherited from a member no longer with us...

Highland Park is my favourite Whisky...

• Like 1

Those concerned over the cost of model railways should read Jas Milham's article on Abbey Street in the latest issue of MRJ - No. 260.

A wonderful example of super modelling, recycling, inexpensive materials, etc. Built in S scale, there is obviously some scratch building of stock, but the materials used for baseboards, buildings, etc. holds good for most scales.

Edited to add that there is no mention of alcohol, so may not be relevant to some readers.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 1

Those concerned over the cost of model railways should read Jas Milham's article on Abbey Street in the latest issue of MRJ - No. 260.

A wonderful example of super modelling, recycling, inexpensive materials, etc. Built in S scale, there is obviously some scratch building of stock, but the materials used for baseboards, buildings, etc. holds good for most scales.

Edited to add that there is no mention of alcohol, so may not be relevant to some readers.

Just reminded me of the times when he used to turn up at the GERS meetings with a few models and (IIRC) a Pentacon 6 camera!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Late to this thread....

Railway modelling is like anything, not just hobbies.  It costs as much as you want it to.  Running a car is eye-watering if you simply cannot manage with less than a new one with an "aspirational" badge.  Owning a phone is expensive if you MUST have the latest iPhone.  Food is expensive if you eat out four times a week.

Here's a sign of the times.  Outside Canary Wharf station there used to be a BMW/Mini dealership.  It is now a cycle shop; being in Canary Wharf it doesn't sell £100 bikes for your five year-old kids.  Some of the bikes are real objects of beauty but they cost more than my last three cars (combined).

There's a lot of truth about cycling being the new golf.  Middle-aged men can keep spending huge amounts of money on equipment to make the tiniest marginal gains at the activity, but can always excuse their lack of ability on still not having the latest gadget in the range,

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

In any hobby there are people who lose all sense of perspective. I used to be a bit of a hi-fi enthusiast and that hobby is full of outrageously priced equipment, much of which is snake oil. If people have the money and enjoy it then fair play but as people get into that part of a hobby they tend to become dismissive of anything outside of their esoteric interests. I like cycling, my bikes were not cheap but weren't at the silly end of the price spectrum either however it really infuriates me to hear snide remarks about "bicycle shaped objects" from cyclists dismissing those on cheap bikes. Don't get me wrong, I'd recommend anyone to spend a bit more on a decent entry level bike from a good manufacturer or s/h but if those cheap bikes do what they were bought to do then ultimately that's all that matters. My boy plays ice hockey and both him and his sister do figure skating and that costs me more than model trains.

As has been said, most hobbies are as cheap or expensive as you want them to be. I collect HO brass, the models are very pricey but I am selective about what I buy.

• Like 4

Running a car is eye-watering if you simply cannot manage with less than a new one with an "aspirational" badge.  

Isn't that most people, these days!?

When I go out in my twenty year old Honda, some folk cannot stand to be behind me, they just have to overtake, presumably to show off their 6x plate!

Thing is, I own my car - they probably have one of these lease agreements so their car is actually just a 'rental'!

Everyone seems to fall into the 'keeping up with the Jones' syndrome these days - I cannot bear to partake, sorry.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But isn't it expensive, how can you afford it on your pension, people ask me all the time.  Well, 1), the entry cost is a bit steep but I have a small layout with manually worked points and signals and very simple wiring and a low number of smaller locos,and less than 50 items of stock in all, 2) once you have set your layout up, the major necessary expenses are over, and 3) the running costs are negligible; a bit of paint and glue now and then, and pennies per year on the electric bill.  It cannot be compared to, say, following a band, football team, or attending grand opera, where the entry cost is negligible, but the 'running' costs of travelling to gigs or matches, tickets, merchandising, accommodation, restaurants, and so on are high, ongoing and increase over time.

That's the theory anyway, but of course there is always one more locomotive to buy...  I have sufficient to run my timetable but at least another four are on the shopping list and who knows what future releases I will 'need'.  In this respect the hobby is more like addiction to crack cocaine; just one more, I can quit any time I want...

• Like 3