Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Sure railway modelling is expensive, but compared to other hobbies...

• RMweb Premium

Well I tend to save some money by buying second hand stuff off Ebay, bought a Clayton rather cheaply, 4 Lima DMUs for less than the cost of say the Dapol 121/122.

Everything is expensive it just depends on what you want to spend on it.

Most hobbies can be enjoyed cheaply but as experience and expertise grow so does the outlay and spending money is not a guarantee of success.

We all probably know people who have all the gear and no idea, whose cheque book is bigger than their talent.

Remember it's a hobby and if it relaxes and rewards you it's probably worth it

Atb

Nik

...I have a U.S. buddy who plays dogfight paintball games in his P51 Mustang over American deserts, against like minded individuals in other WW2 warbirds....I don't worry too much about the expense of a few P4 models and a layout.

Dave  

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If I were to buy one the costs would be

For a competitive boat     3000 to 7000 ,   this effectively is a once only cost which you will get back when you sell the boat, All boats can be competitive, age makes no difference some in our fleet are now over 40 years old

insurance approx               200

Broads tax (like road tax)  126

club membership               86

new sails every 5 years      1000 could be longer if you are gentle with your sails.

other maintenance            200

mooring fees                   200

Over ten years and selling the boat at the end this  averages out at 1012 pounds, which is less than a season ticket at many premier league teams which only gets you to half your teams events and probably less than many here spend on  model railways  (but more than others).

The Q

Chairman Yeoman and Kinsman Association (I had to get that in)

What's that saying, the happiest two days in a boat owner's life is the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it? ;)

• RMweb Gold

In that case, I probably have fairly expensive interests. I run a 30-year-old car that can still run on leaded petrol. And as for the money I've spent over the last 26 years on horses and hunting, don't even go there. But, y'know, I've had terrific fun, and I wouldn't change a thing.

That first picture is suspiciously like Father Ted's house on Craggy Island.  :O

• RMweb Premium

What's that saying, the happiest two days in a boat owner's life is the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it? ;)

Not mine but probably her indoors!

The Q

I would suggest the total cost of following a Premier League football team easily adds up to more than the cost of modelling - unless you have an O Gauge masterpiece on commission every year. If supporting a successful team and following them all over Europe is taken into account, that O Gauge masterpiece might even look affordable. At least you won't have to have days off work, unless you have to do some research as part of the commissioning process. I don't get to Maine Road - sorry the Etihad - these days. 90 minutes football costs more than an O gauge wagon kit which will serve for years or can be sold on.

Gardening, which is pretty much a compulsory hobby for anyone living in a house, ain't cheap these days. Especially if you visit flower shows and have to buy all the latest fashionable plants.

Then my missus does card-making. You might think that was a nice, cheap hobby. No, you should see her credit card bills. Well, actually I prefer not to see them. And while there is a market in old models, there isn't much of one for 'cardstock' or 'sentiments'. The only good thing about it is we make joint use of some tools. She probably buys more from Squires than I do.

Edited by Poggy1165

They do....

This one prefers diesel instead though.

All things considered it was the most expensive ice cream I've ever had.

Most enjoyable drive to get an ice cream ever though.

Edited by 49395
  • Like 2

Was it the ice cream that was expensive - or the car that you didn't notice and accidentally crushed just out of shot to the left? :)

Yeah, 1:1 scale war gaming can get a bit pricey.

Edited by Rabs

The car :D

That was about the only trip I did on the road this year, its thirsty, needs a tax disk, insurance etc. etc.

Worth every penny though, the looks on people's faces are priceless.

I did nearly succeed in remodelling an Audi for someone who wanted to play chicken with me that day...

• Like 2

Diesel?!!! Any self respecting Spartan should have the 4.2 litre Jag engine... :no:

By the way, what's the cam? Looks like it came straight from BATUS...

Edited by 45059

Diesel?!!! Any self respecting Spartan should have the 4.2 litre Jag engine... :no:

By the way, what's the cam? Looks like it came straight from BATUS...

The camouflage is close to one used by some units on Salisbury Plain, although there are a couple of extra colours added.

I think it was likely made up by a previous owner, probably the one who put the diesel engine in.

It was a very close nearly....

Edited by 49395

• RMweb Premium

The car :D

That was about the only trip I did on the road this year, its thirsty, needs a tax disk, insurance etc. etc.

Worth every penny though, the looks on people's faces are priceless.

I did nearly succeed in remodelling an Audi for someone who wanted to play chicken with me that day...

I like it, great way of terrifying the idiots who cut you up. I work with someone with a Dakar 4x4 and he can bully the buses down the lanes.

BTW I have seen on TV a Scorpion tank (I think Jaguar engined) doing 70 on the motorway.

This little venture as cost a couple of bob.

I wont had to what the photo says ?attachicon.gifSV201368.JPG

Given the staggering (to someone who remembers anything but the original Z1 as being cheap but powerful old hacks) sums now being asked for anything air-cooled with a Z in its model designation I'd imagine you could see a decent proportion of it back if you really wanted to :D.

The majority of hobbies all have the potential for being expensive, there usually is a lot of variance in them. For instance huge difference between running and restoring a old Viva compared to a Stag, or OO guage vs O or 11 gauge perhaps. Similarly for military modelling, 1.76th can be reasonably cheap, 1/35th not so much, same for aviation 1/72nd or 1/144th can be done cheaply, but 1/48 and 1/32nd can get expensive quickly!