How did it end up their?

darren01

I remember reading about this. 67002 was working a postal when the brakes failed. It hit the back of the coal train at enough speed to cause it to ride up onto one of the wagons. As the coal train was still moving, 67002 was then dragged into the bridge.

• RMweb Premium

Clearly struck in the rear and pushed over the MGR as can be seen from the impact damage to the cab.  That could not have been caused by the coal train.

That loco is named "Special Delivery" isn't it?  Very apt in the circumstances.   :locomotive:

I always remember when the model came out wanting to take out the motorised bogie, somehow build up a hopper wagon body/chassis around it, then mount the remains of the loco on top so it could go sailing past - thankfully before I spent out any money (and the loco being new was still full price of course) realised that the same thing would happen to my model, it would be great until it got to a bridge.

Hi

I found this on Youtube,amazing bit of film of where this loco eneded up, no one wasn hurt in the crash

Darren

Sorry Darren, but the driver suffered head injuries from this crash - see both Wiki & also http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=6299 - I hope you meant to say there were no fatalities as you would be lucky to get out of the cab without injuring yourself!

• RMweb Premium

So, what do you get if you attempt to breed a 67 with an HAA?

Wasn't there a poem that I daren't quote about a camel and the Sphinx which ended up

'That accounts for the hump on the camel and the Sphinx's inscrutable smile"

Perhaps that explains the styling on the 67.

Jamie

I'm trying to remember what this incident was due to: IIRC, it was the result of a brake valve being left in the wrong position, so the 67 was effectively the only vehicle upon which the brakes worked. In effect, the mail train was a runaway- I've seen several unfitted coal trains do this sort of thing back in the 1970s, but never what should have been a fully-braked train. Given how busy both road and railway are at that point, it is pretty amazing the casualty list wasn't a lot longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived