Wires down on WCML today.

An extremly comprhensive story of the problems on the WCML north of Wolverton and for once they are not having a go at NR ,seems as though a broken pantograph caused the problem .There is an excellent photo of the culprit lying in the four foot ,judging by what is said it could have come off of a 350 as it was "manouvering" before the peak this morning.Seems to have been a spate of this kind of incident just lately I wonder if the design needs looking at.A full repair is going to happen Saturday night with lines open for diesel trains on two tracks this evening ,glad I went to Glasgow last Friday!!!

• RMweb Premium

.A full repair is going to happen Saturday night with lines open for diesel trains on two tracks this evening ,

Virgin Trains are reporting services back to normal with Holyhead trains diverted - presumably because they're Voyagers. But LM are still being disrupted. Details from National Rail Enquiries as of 1455.

Cheers,

Mick

My Brother was stuck at Milton Keynes this morning, and arrived at Preston over 3 hours late. News on the train was the problem was caused when the OHLE was being re-tensioned, and the weights fell off. I'd have thought such work would have been done under a posession, but evidently something went wrong.

If that is the case then hopefully this is an unfortunate, but isolated incident.

The detached pantograph image had got me wondering.

Some LM Desiros have just had pantograph modifications to allow larger sets to run at 110mph. These were trialled a couple of weeks ago - http://www.londonmidland.com/about-us/latest-news/london-midland-on-track-for-high-speed-running/

Having been on a four car set to MK at 110mph (which don't need the pantograph modification to run at the higher speed), I can say that it's quite a ride! I hope this incident doesn't delay the programme for larger sets, as this could trim about 5 minutes off my journey time into London.

N

• RMweb Gold

All of the 350/1's have had high speed Bracknell wills pantographs fitted for 110mph running also the traction motors and the onboard TMS(computer system) have been upgraded for 110mph running.

The culprit for yesterdays farce was a pair of 350's crossing over at Hanslope Junction whilst working 5y67 the ripped the knitting down and consequently removed both pantographs.

After this, and the ECML problems last week, should converting the Southern 3rd-rail network to OLE still be considered ?

Yes, if you want a feeder station every 5 miles and a 100mph line limit. Plus the cost of converting or replacing existing stock.

Apart from at Euston, there is a short section on the Down Fast at Watford Jn that is used as a link for dual voltage stock accessing the DC lines. I doubt they'll be any more...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived