Hunters Lane WCML in N

bmthtrains - David

I’ve yet to see any attempt at wires that looks workable to me. Partly it’s a scale issue, they’d be around 0.1mm thick which would be extremely difficult to achieve, but it’s the track cleaning/access issue that puts me off most. Really they’d need to lift out which means some kind of obvious hooking system. Probably easier to as an AI art bot to just add them to each picture!

David 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

I’ve yet to see any attempt at wires that looks workable to me. Partly it’s a scale issue, they’d be around 0.1mm thick which would be extremely difficult to achieve, but it’s the track cleaning/access issue that puts me off most. Really they’d need to lift out which means some kind of obvious hooking system. Probably easier to as an AI art bot to just add them to each picture!

David 

I have wires on mine they was fidderley to solder, i used guitar strings no 8 & 10. For the cleaning of track I got a minitrix track cleaning wagon I just run up & down it keeps the track clean, across the baseboard join I have only loose fit the wire's with hooks on the end.

20230328_143723.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

10 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

One more photo from this evening. A long crop of the construction yard. There’s a bit of perspective distortion using the wide angle lens but it gives a good feel of the scene.

David

Superb photo looks really great. Are you going to take it to any local Exhibitions.I keep looking at your layout and thinking I must kick start myself into doing more on my layout.

The layout isn’t designed to be exhibited and it’s really quite small, just 2x 4’x2’6” boards that sit upright back to back in the spare bedroom when not in use. Going to make a dust cover to keep them clean.

With the layout largely complete I can enjoy running it so have been making lists of potential future stock purchases. I need more container wagons but find identifying them a bit of a maze, so I have been trying to match what’s available (or forthcoming) to the different operators. Any additions/corrections to this list please let me know!

Farish intermodal FIA EWS/DB

Revolution KFA FL EWS/DB 

Revolution ecofret FL EWS/DB GBRf

C rail pocket wagon FL

C rail FSA FL

Dapol Megafret FL EWS/DB GBRf DRS

Dapol spine wagon FEAB FL

I’d like a GBRf rake but there doesn’t seem to be much suitable? I’m also keen to avoid further KFAs as they have a habit of warping, which the FEABs apparently also do.

David 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

looks awesome! 

Early FEAs can warp, but I’ve never had a particular problem, and I’ve got at least 20 pairs. They are available in GBRf blue, albeit much less common, as the recent releases have all been FL. 

GBRf make use of KTA pocket wagons as well as FWA Ecofrets and IKA Megafrets as you identify. Plenty in there to make up a decent rake. 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

It’s an eBay purchase but from the look of it the set has barely been used. 

David

I think a photo and an email to Dapol asking if there are any repair options is necessary there.  That is unreal.  Presumably it was straight when you bought it?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

I have had some Dapol FEA-Bs with similar warping. 

I think the cause is a combination of:

*  the embedded metal weight not reaching the end

*  the plastic deck getting significantly thinner at that point, and

*  possibly the model itself being kept in a location where the temperature is not consistent, perhaps a loft or garage.

I find it can be cured by resting the wagon upside down on a wooden block with the start of the bend on the edge of the block and then gently pushing down and holding for around 20-30 secs.  I usually find it is necessary to push the outer end a little further than required, so when it springs back slightly it finishes straight.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 4 weeks later...