Hunters Lane WCML in N

bmthtrains - David

• RMweb Gold

David,

That is looking superb.  The level of detail your getting into the model is wonderful.  Sorry if this has been asked before, but whose trees/bushes are you using  - or if home made, how are you making them?  They are some of the best I have seen in N gauge (in my view!) .. really impressed with your scenics.

Most of the trees come from The Model Tree Shop with a couple of oaks from 4D Modelshop. Bushes are either Martin Welberg or Model Scene for individual plants or grass mats from Martin Welberg or Lars op’t hof. The mats are brilliant, ranging from pasture to overgrown meadow to forest floor depending on how bushy you want them. 

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

After a thorough track clean I’ve been running a few trains this morning. Again a bit of despair at the quality of modern releases - they look good but so much stock just uncouples, derails, or otherwise falls to bits (321), and even the banana effect on the Pendolino is getting worse. 

David 

Edited by bmthtrains - David
  • Like 13

Looks great David. 😎 Regards the uncoupling, I was struggling, the older Farish coupling design works fine but some of the NEM couplers causing repeat issues. With all the fixed rakes on Dallam, I have put several drops of Johnson's Klear into the coupling pocket and that seems to have done the trick, stops the couplings bouncing up. With Klear it still allows easy removal of the coupler if you wish to change types at a later date. 

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Final update today, and it’s been nice to operate the layout for another few hours! I’ve also finished the area to the south of the ROC which is a sort of Network Rail compound, and added the bin store and other details. With the fences in and whole blocks of scenery now complete I think the layout is starting to capture the WCML feel I was after. Lots more to do but getting there!

David

1BA02CCE-AEF9-4FC8-ADE6-FF17CA3380B3.jpeg.64b585eff6153d6cba68194ec3599a2f.jpeg

43440DD8-5A37-4706-9040-B0A80A17625F.jpeg.7ef3b64cc05738235866ccd8d07ef351.jpeg

Edited by bmthtrains - David
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The magnetic Hunt couplings from West Hill Wagon Works are worth looking at for any fixed rakes you run. where the vehicles have close coupling mechanisms.

I've fitted them to most of my Dapol Mk3s and plan to add them to several other rakes of coaches and wagons. Whilst they don't help with derailments, I've yet to have any come uncoupled!

Steven B.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Absolutely fantastic. This layout keeps getting better. 

Just a thought... I've noticed most Network Rail car parks enforce a reverse parking policy. Fancy recreating one of these cut out signs? I've deffo not got it in my loft 😜

IMG_20221129_103330.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

I’d noticed the parking procedure on an overhead photograph, but when populating the car park with cars I’ve gone for a more mixed approach as it looked a bit odd even though it’s correct.

Here is the finished car park scene.

David

799C0A22-B2F2-469C-85F0-FAA957A944F9.jpeg.34ce6fa7cf70d32dde667d026909c843.jpeg

you wouldn’t believe how much hassle you get if you don’t reverse park! 

Wouldn’t surprise me if the bloke leaning against the van in your carpark is putting a ‘polite reminder’ note on the incorrectly parked van! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

David the layout is looking great, can I ask one favour though, please and can you turn the Police car around.  Or can I have the registration so I can have a word with the officer that parked it like that! 😂

Cheers 
Scott

cake fine? 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

I’ve gone for a more mixed approach as it looked a bit odd even though it’s correct.

Ooh naughty you’d get told off and reported at ROC’s for doing it. I was loading a small van and had to drive in forwards because the only spaces had a hedge in front which meant I couldn’t load the back of a van with large crates. 
I got moaned at and reported to reception who also moaned at me despite clearly having no other way to access the back of the van without parking in the middle blocking the entire car park! I also had someone to help me reverse out even though I’m perfectly capable of driving slowly backwards. I did ask if they had shears and I’d cut down the hedge . . .

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

25 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

David the layout is looking great, can I ask one favour though, please and can you turn the Police car around.  Or can I have the registration so I can have a word with the officer that parked it like that! 😂

Cheers 
Scott

A bit like when you bring your colleagues down to Westbay but there's a wall 🤣.

Edited by spenc