Hunters Lane WCML in N

bmthtrains - David

A little further today, and the most difficult part is finished - rail joins on the tight hidden curves! I always hate doing this bit but as the outer curves are fairly generous I’ve been able to keep the joints straight and then pull the curve back with a tighter radius each time so I’m actually pleased with the result, nice smooth joins. Next step is to switch to the other board and get the track there to a similar stage. After that, it’s getting points for the storage yard so I can run the loops over the baseboard joint as I did on the front.

David

49B8E322-581D-4C75-8797-CAF6EB20D27B.jpeg.c5f29a845e55165f088af5b7aabca8ea.jpeg

• Like 6

A minor complication has arisen when ordering my next couple of points. It looks like Peco no longer make electrofrog medium points in code 55, having replaced them with unifrog only.

This is annoying as unifrog basically works as a dead frog out of the box. As I want as good a running as possible I presume this now means lots of fiddly soldering to make the frog live.

David. 

I’ve been experimenting with the far left end today, and have settled on having a row of new build homes behind an overgrown and tree-lined embankment. There is a similar housing development actually not far from the real ROC at Rugby so it keeps the feeling of the real place even though this is a fictional location. The mock-up card buildings give a loose impression.

David

A737762F-586F-4094-9C30-05DCF9FAB5BB.jpeg.3b06ca7a51cd465f1553141f800099e8.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

Thanks!

My thoughts today have turned to the opposite end of the layout. This is where it turns from drawing inspiration from Rugby to drawing from Nuneaton - in particular the bridge to the south of the station.

Printing the OS map of the area the roads fit perfectly where I wanted them so this can be true to scale, although the buildings around the one way system will be completely different to help it merge with the Rugby-inspired ROC further to the left.

David 

04109D30-15AE-4464-B5A9-03907FA448A7.jpeg.8a9af920ae0b31cc7600f3b365bf4acf.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Nick!

This weekend I’ve been making up a few etched details and modifying a CR signal kit with some better ladders and safety mesh, and painting the ground signals and axle counters. I’ve also made up one of the N Brass 4 track OHLE portals to check clearances. Obviously all this lot won’t go so close to each other but measuring things out is helping keep things prototypical but also appropriate for the model - the portal heights in particular. I’m going to order some bespoke etches for the catenary itself as N Brass don’t make the current designs.

David 

FA944A57-9DC6-4B73-A386-E2CE00608082.jpeg.599c083fe70af27c75233fa0074ba9cb.jpeg

4154EB16-98B2-4397-AA09-C640FD861E4E.jpeg.75b5c973fd978538ebae4d4e6255ad37.jpeg

• Like 10

All in the wrong place again, but the amount of lineside detailing that I’m going to be able to incorporate into the layout - either bought or made my myself - will really give it the ‘upgraded’ WCML feel I am after. In the photo below are: signal, ground signal and signal gantry, communications cabin and GSMR mast and cabin, cable troughs, lineside cabinets, point motors, Rawie buffer stop, axle counters, P.Way trackside junction lights, and OHLE portal. Still to come are AWS and TPWS fixtures, safe walking routes in the yard, and speed signs. 

David

A37EEAC7-679D-456D-90A7-E20019C166DB.jpeg.0eb3b03c1ff0e6c9b3a32c8dbce8e830.jpeg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for payday before the next tranche of track laying, I’ve started to think about the electrics. This is a much more complex layout that my previous ones with plenty of sidings and loops, and as I want reliable running I’m not leaving the points to control the current supply, meaning more isolating sections and switches.

I know where everything needs to be wired, as in having a clear wiring diagram, but I need to give thought to how it’s going to be wired.

It seems like discussions of layout wiring online and in books are all about the diagrams and the logic behind them rather than practical advice on physically what do do. Having used terminal blocks in the past they clearly won’t be reliable enough or able to cope with the number of splices needed etc.

The main areas I need to iron out are:

1. how best to join/splice wires. One track’s controller input needs to go through 8 separate switches to 12 track feeds - is it bed solder them to bare copper wire? To a copper plate? Or use a series of tapping devices?

2. what best/reliable board to board and controller to board connectors to use. Simple jack plugs? Something else? And how do you improve the connections at the back of a gaugemaster controller? Too often wires just pull out of the back.

If anyone has thoughts on the above I’d been keen to hear as there’s surprisingly little advice out there about the practicalities and materials of layout wiring.

David 

Hi David, 

I am terrible at wiring, electronics and the like. So I am sure someone will give you better technical advice than this. But I found soldering not only prone to cracks/failures. It is also not especially flexible and very time consuming. 

I've glued a load of different Wago connectors to the bottom of the baseboard to connect a large number of track feed wires, I've marked on the baseboard next to the connection what it actually is and found the whole process quick, clean, easy, reliable and as a complete amateur very simple to do.

I am only a satisfied customer, no link of any kind. But the screen shot below is what they look like and they come in all sorts of different sizes. 

177236611_Screenshot_20220124-1359202.png.3d5bd0ed927e450e9cba6f590216e19b.png

I know it only answers a small part of your question, and it might not be for you, but hopefully it helps get the discussion underway.

All the best,

Dave 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Thanks Dave, I’ll look into those! How many wires would each one connect?

I have also used those in 2, 3 and 5 port varieties. They will take 2.5mm cable easily, so if you are using smaller cables, 2 or even 3 can go in each port.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If cost is a factor, you can get screw terminal strips from Wilko's and the link that are similar, but screw up rather than being a flick-lock. I picked a few up the other week, about 10 or 16 'ports' on each side ... each of which pass through power from left to right, for about 59p each!

Rich

• Like 1

Sounds like there might be cheaper options, but as a complete amateur who is terrible with wiring :read: :sorry_mini: the recommendation is based on ease of use (and ease/speed of reuse when I make the intervertebral mistake:scared:).

You can get them in lots of different sizes and I have even seen a picture of a big bank of them (although have no personal experience of something that big), I don't know that there is a limit.

there are a few pictures below but they come in lots of different sizes and I have used from the 2 upto the 10pin one. As said by DaveXOC above, more than one wire fits in each hole so a 10pin connector could hold upto ~30 wires if needed. They are electrically connected internally so it's not only the the wires which go into the same hole which are connected. All the wires into the block are connected. 

915507320_Screenshot_20220124-2102032.png.bf8b7e718241367e397f1743656a4a58.png

1375458156_Screenshot_20220124-2100202.png.ae191c9e46e05423449ef5a08bcc6645.png

1859599850_Screenshot_20220124-2058592.png.8926824600c3613664e3a9fe74407ebe.png

All the best,

Dave 

Screenshot_20220124-210020~2.png

• Like 1

That’s really helpful - having a block that connects across the ports is what I need, standard terminal blocks just connect one side to the other, not across so I definitely need something more like this.

Printer cables sound a good idea too.

Has anyone beefed up the actual connection to their controller? My gaugemaster Q has screw in terminals but I’d like something more robust there.

David.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

That’s really helpful - having a block that connects across the ports is what I need, standard terminal blocks just connect one side to the other, not across so I definitely need something more like this.

Printer cables sound a good idea too.

Has anyone beefed up the actual connection to their controller? My gaugemaster Q has screw in terminals but I’d like something more robust there.

David.

Hi David,

Totally agree with @DavidMcKenzie comments on those blocks they are good and quite durable, have seen them used, but not used them myself.  Also bear in mind, while not as neat, there is nothing to stop you running a small cable, ie daisy chaining, all the ports on one side of the chockblocks so that part or all of the strip connect across multiple ports, I have done that in the past where multiple track connections have been required. 

Only used Gaugemaster controllers a couple of times a few years ago, but always found their connectors to be quite durable if that helps.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the WAGO terminals:

I wouldn’t use the white ones as they are push in so I don’t know how well they would hold multiple small wires.

I recommend the 221 connectors with clear mouldings and orange levers (as shown).  Keep away from their 222 connectors with grey mouldings - they don’t have a flat base and don’t stick down well (I learnt the hard way!).

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to ask - where did you get the signal gantry? I bodged up mine from an N-scenics model out of necessity and whilst it does the job it ain't very realistic.

1975168683_20220115_094220(1).jpg.491d4309a36b3cf382db0eedb20c0dcb.jpg

I was forced to add the central pillars in order to hide the legs of the ground signals I used.

Edited by AndrueC