Hunters Lane WCML in N

bmthtrains - David

Final update of the day (it’s been a productive one!), and I’ve started working out the landforms on the London end of the layout. This will really change the feel of things as I’ve got used to it all being a flat board! The London end is inspired by Nuneaton, with the road layout an exact scale reproduction but with totally different buildings.

David 

D8D03382-2880-4970-9B48-BF137C919894.jpeg.9e0565d6beed208eea894530d3af9d6a.jpeg

48225233-6978-42C2-BC08-8035D543C239.jpeg.0bd47deddf44dacf482e2eb2686147ce.jpeg

8808E8A1-F4E9-4FCA-B7DE-28046BB68D1F.jpeg.5af745cdd725e9ef99e0bee38646cf97.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Superb, David! Looks great.

I've yet to find a ballast I'm really happy with for the same location, for me the real standout is the pinkish hue, which I understand is because it's granite. Polak do some great looking shades, but don't actually seem to be available. They have a UK website, but my order was cancelled and refunded with no further communication! Obviously a bit late to use a different base product, and you'll manage to accomplish a great recreation of it I'm sure!

Similarly do you need the trackside lamps along so much of the track? They seem to just be adjacent to pointwork, may save you replacing some as they head for the carpet!

I'm sure you've got plenty of reference material, but my album of photos I took from a visit to Rugby last year are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/46244709@N04/albums/72157719938594776

I'm no photographer, and kept getting distracted by trains (without having the camera set up for them!), but perhaps a bit more focused on the general environment than many photos.

Hi Nick,

I’ve probably got a few more lights than strictly necessary but it’s more a case of there’s less point work than too many lights - if that makes sense. There are only two short runs of them at either end of the yard entrances.

Your Rugby photos have already proved inspirational but also show the sheer size needed to properly model that part of the line. Im jealous of the scope of your own layout! The benefit of my pulling bits from all over the WCML to create a feeling of a recent upgrade in a comparatively small single scene though means I can be a lot more loose with certain things, which gives me more leeway with the ballast colour, so it will probably be grey rather than the pink tinge around Rugby.

If I ever have the space one day I’d be tempted to follow in your footsteps with a proper model of the station, or possibly even Nuneaton as the flyover would be a nice feature.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking great so far and yes axle counters etc always just waiting for the track rubber / bulldozer! 
I picked a N gauge cmx cheap a few years ago and it’s made cleaning the 009 & Nm9 so much easier because you don’t need to go round sticking stuff back on behind it. As the layout’s flat have you tried graphite on the rails? If not maybe try it on one loop and see if it makes cleaning less frequent? 

3 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Epic scenery delivery just arrived. Really need to get that wiring finished but this is much more what I like to be doing! 

David 

Those scenic materials look superb, were they from a UK supplier of from Germany?

If UK, who from, think I will be ordering some!

Best wishes

Simon

Carving the extruded polystyrene foam proved a little challenging in that the dust irritated my skin. Even with nitrile gloves on my hands are sore today, so I probably won’t be using it again. Today I have covered the embankment slopes with grass mat to smooth it out and partly to seal the flakey foam in, and then had an experiment with the Martin Welberg mats and foliage. Very pleased with this little corner. It may not survive intact when this whole section is lifted off but it’s proved very easy to work with.

David

F0DB9E79-C330-403D-B9E8-27C423AF6D3B.jpeg.0c6cff567e59439674275d0c4e992c40.jpeg

• Like 12

The greens are a little too green for what I was ideally after but the more pale spring greens were too light. A little further along the front now. Tomorrow I will try removing the whole section to work on the rear side.

David

47ED3FBB-A823-47D5-A627-AFE953497202.jpeg.0129fe0725d340c6e2d300ce6bb9c00a.jpeg

158D6595-7635-4902-9641-87C12A73DA9F.jpeg.e2926cb6c09d42f28138f087aab23fbc.jpeg

Edited by bmthtrains - David
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Carving the extruded polystyrene foam proved a little challenging in that the dust irritated my skin. Even with nitrile gloves on my hands are sore today, so I probably won’t be using it again.

Do you still get irritation just handling the foam? If not a Hotwire may work for you although the fumes may also be more problem if you have an allergy to the material. I use the hotwire by an open window to ensure adequate ventilation and find it fast and flexible. 
I got this one as you can remove the cutter from the table easily https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253160438428?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4voNI8EYT06&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=C5MvROU8Q5u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY