Hunters Lane WCML in N

bmthtrains - David

• RMweb Gold

Very nice running. I'm getting closer to track complete myself although I then have a couple of dozen turnout motors to install and routes to program so won't actually be in full running until Christmas I think.

I had a set of those yellow JNA wagons. They refused to run at all on my first layout. The problem with the JNA wagons appeared to be a perverse coupler design. On mine the coupler sat in a V shaped groove so that when the wagon went round a curve the coupler moved out along one of the arms of the V. There was a spring (thin bit of wire) that was probably supposed to re-centre the coupler but it was far to weak and funnily enough the result was that the wagon got dragged off at the end of the curve. That layout used R2 curves but they are the only wagons that caused me that kind of grief.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vPaVJKF4H8VNkmbQ7

I also struggled with those green wagons as well. Their couplers weren't very clever either and several suffered from droop which meant they didn't like a slightly bumpy part of my track.

Edited by AndrueC

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Having had no time for any modelling in the last month or so I decided to get the layout out for a run this evening. Cursing my newer Dapol stock and remembering Dapol stands for Decouples At Points and On Lines, I finally got things running smoothly.

David

Very nice indeed, and shaping up nicely.  The POV of your first video there lends itself to a Railcam view. 

Thanks for sharing.

Best

Scott.

My coupling woes continued today, this time running my Revolution 321 on the layout for the first time. Having been an utter disaster before it was sent back for repair, it ran well on my Kato test track on its return but now one of the couplings has completely disintegrated, with a covering flap constantly dropping off whenever it goes round a corner and jamming between the sleepers, stopping the unit from moving and then derailing.

78945114-8D12-4AB4-B781-F2F002A1DFA0.jpeg.1b7705074e1a7c79387edad65b2f3125.jpeg

I will have to superglue this part on as otherwise it only runs in the opposite direction without catching. Thankfully that’s the also the only direction in which both the front and rear lights work, so perhaps that is a bonus?

I also need to figure out what’s going on with the ride heights of each coach as they’re all over the place:

BA8E0765-FACF-4387-B63F-A9E0426C0D04.jpeg.539ffda7ec1382ef34fc3422fd7ab51b.jpeg

This model continues to be an expensive source of constant frustration.

David 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 02/08/2022 at 20:31, bmthtrains - David said:

My coupling woes continued today, this time running my Revolution 321 on the layout for the first time. Having been an utter disaster before it was sent back for repair, it ran well on my Kato test track on its return but now one of the couplings has completely disintegrated, with a covering flap constantly dropping off whenever it goes round a corner and jamming between the sleepers, stopping the unit from moving and then derailing.

78945114-8D12-4AB4-B781-F2F002A1DFA0.jpeg.1b7705074e1a7c79387edad65b2f3125.jpeg

I will have to superglue this part on as otherwise it only runs in the opposite direction without catching. Thankfully that’s the also the only direction in which both the front and rear lights work, so perhaps that is a bonus?

I also need to figure out what’s going on with the ride heights of each coach as they’re all over the place:

BA8E0765-FACF-4387-B63F-A9E0426C0D04.jpeg.539ffda7ec1382ef34fc3422fd7ab51b.jpeg

This model continues to be an expensive source of constant frustration.

David 

I’ve blacktacced the cover on the coupling, haven’t ran across any height differences.

I’ve started work on the block of flats that will go at the right hand corner of the layout. At the moment it’s just the basic laser cut parts primed white. These need individually painting before assembly, then window frames, doors, and possibly gutters can be added but this will be a low detail model due to its position.

David 

818DE1CC-D40A-46F5-A3AA-693CC9FE266A.jpeg.8eac432fe6cf908b46c9a4650a1ea376.jpeg

AF3780DA-88F4-4C84-8BDB-D71BCFFF1FEF.jpeg.bc7121da38316e1241a2dbe0c9c1b51d.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

And here is the basic assembly completed. Next steps are some paint tidying on a few edges, then when my etches arrive on Monday I can add the doors and windows. Weathering and embedding it into the layout will come later - there will be little shrub borders in the recessed spaces.

David 

981D0C87-44AA-4AA1-9B10-849895F2160D.jpeg.f0d3d4367fa5ff50d790372e78daa4e5.jpeg

• Like 11

As this week is my last week off until Christmas, I finally overcame my apathy and completed the wiring on the right hand board. All lines now run smoothly, and it means I can get on with more enjoyable, smaller jobs in the evenings through the autumn.

Here the NR class 37 pulls out of one of the sidings and onto the up slow.

Next jobs will be to paint the rails on the right board, then ballasting. 

David 

Edited by bmthtrains - David
  • Like 11

I can now do shunting!

What I have realised doing all this hideous wiring is that in future I can probably get away with dummy sidings. The way I run my layouts is to sit back and watch trains go by. It never occurred to me that the yard didn’t actually have to move to suit my needs! The next layout in about 10 years time will be much simpler in terms of electrics I think!

David 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

How long did it take you to get your 08 running? I spent quite a while trying to run mine in and eventually needed to run it on my wheel cleaner to sort it out. I have no intention of ever doing any shunting but I had to have an 08 anyway :)

Edited by AndrueC

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

The 08 is about 15 years old so I couldn’t tell you. I don’t remember any issues with it at all and running it today for the first time in probably a year it’s been fine.

David

Ah! I thought it was one of the new Farish ones.

In between painting rails (will the boring bits of layout building never end?!), I am making a start on the OHLE equipment. First job today has been to test my new etches and to establish the right portal heights. This is an old N Brass portal just sprayed with primer so not the right colour yet, with an N Brass register arm and my own etch for the support arm above on the left. To the right is my own etch of the combined equipment. As is fairly obvious, portals with these need to be higher, and thankfully I have some spare N Brass portals of the older design which had taller legs with marks to cut down to normal rail side or platform heights. I have cut these to a height 6mm taller than the the normal legs for the two portals that will have the combined etch on.

David 

1D1EE3D0-18CB-4DB0-8692-B99727D6FCCB.jpeg.fdc7bd83e111770f6f74366e5c4b2e82.jpeg

• Like 10