Shunting allowed into tunnel mouth in UK?

• RMweb Gold

seems a bit excessive just you don't have to run round!

it could save up to an hour if there was more than one train waiting in toton, or even save you a run to barrow hill to run round

also useful if toton is shut, save the protracted run round in the former beeson freightliner terminal, which involved opening and closing the groundframe and running light all the way to lenton jn and back into beeston station to get back to your train

blind tunnel ? that's ok they have the omni present on their side..

The tunnel is a dead end the connection with the main line is behind you in this picture. I think omniscient is the word you're looking for. It's also the only state in the world where the ATMs have Latin as an option.

Copenhagen tunnel outside Kings Cross was a regualr shunt move with stuff coming off the north London incline wanting to go back into KX yard or vice versa. there was a shunting bell in the tunnel which would ring when the shunt signal was showing a proceed aspect.

Same at Ventnor so I'm told.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Brunswick MPD of south Liverpool.

It required a setback onto a dead end road in a tunnel in order to access the shed area.

Not a dead end, this siding finishes at the tunnel mouth. Locos entering or leaving the shed had to shunt on the main line, there were signals just inside the tunnel for this move. You can see all this on "Herculaneum Dock" of course.

Archived