Shunting allowed into tunnel mouth in UK?

What about new mills in the manchester area? That even had what looked like a tunnel but was used just as a head shunt (IIRC was going to be a extension that never happened).

That used to be the Hayfield branch. Turn backs from Manchester used to run onto the stub of the branch when setting back onto the down line and would sometimes be held in the tunnel while other trains passed on the main. In the seventies the timetable actually allowed them to sit there for the time it would have taken to get to Hayfield and back, because the timing paths hadn't changed since the branch closed.

In the 1980's the NESW trains used to join and split in Sheffield (Mid).  The portion from Leeds/Bradford came into one platform and one from York another.  An 08 sunted stock and passengers (I did it once) into the northern tunels and onto the rear of the other portion of the train.  Split move heading north was easy train engine takes front portion, another takes the rear.

Nottingham Victoria, both ends, it was a station between two tunnels, so no other way.

Also, after the station had been closed, trains to Ruddington Ordnance depot and the plaster board works at East Leake were propelled into the south end tunnel from Weekday Cross, before being hauled up the GC line.

I was standing on Midland station one day when a pair of class 20s came roaring over the bridge from Weekday Cross. I reckon they were well into the 50s already from a standing start and both being thrashed something rotten. Probably a Colwick driver showing these Midland types how it should be done :biggrin_mini:  

• RMweb Premium

Ventnor required shunting of both passenger and freight stock within the tunnel and I understand shunting was also permitted within Kemp Town Tunnel, Brighton though was not always required.

City Thameslink is effectively within an extended tunnel with shunting moves permitted to and from Smithfield Sidings

Ventnor  tunnel  was  fitted  with  marker  lights  to  indicate  correct  stop  positions  to  give  clearance  for  3  carriages,  4  carriages  etc  when  shunting.  It  also  had  a  gong  to  give  audible  shunting  signals  as  smoke  etc  would  often  prevent  a  lamp  or  handsignal  instruction  being  seen.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

In a slight variation Dainton Tunnel in Devon had a crossover partially within the western end at the location where there were banker sidings / freight loops on both sides of the line.  Its use would have been to allow bankers to run back from the down side to the up line and hence return to Newton Abbot.  

I have vague memories of shunting in the tunnel mouth at Bangor in North Wales too.....
Although I'm not 100% certain of my memories (I visited Bangor long ago)

The location is certainly a possibility - if anyone else can confirm, please do...

Having looked at your plan - I think it looks great
and as I've said on your blog, I think a tunnel would look more balanced
and natural in that setting....

Years ago, a tunnel mouth covering the exit to the fiddle was the cliche....
Lately, you don't see it modelled so often.....

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

In Bangor to Holyhead (Middleton Press) it states that the shortening of Bangor's Belmont tunnel improved the shunting arrangements and has a photo of No. 24035 which shunted in the yard and then reversed "its train into the centre down road to pick up the goods van" January, 1978.

If I were to place Avago's shunting limit sign in the tunnel, what sort of sign should it be? The current one is white with black lettering, sits on the top of a pole and stands at the tunnel entrance. 

If I were to place Avago's shunting limit sign in the tunnel, what sort of sign should it be? The current one is white with black lettering, sits on the top of a pole and stands at the tunnel entrance. 

It would be similar to a standard limit of shunt sign and illuminated 24 hours a day as it's usually dark in tunnels. It would only be a dim light, think on terms of a small oil lamp not a lighthouse, so would you expect to see it from outside the tunnel?

http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/A06THW.jpg

• RMweb Gold

In Bangor to Holyhead (Middleton Press) it states that the shortening of Bangor's Belmont tunnel improved the shunting arrangements and has a photo of No. 24035 which shunted in the yard and then reversed "its train into the centre down road to pick up the goods van" January, 1978.

I thought that the tunnel on Avago contained only a single line?

• RMweb Premium

It would be similar to a standard limit of shunt sign and illuminated 24 hours a day as it's usually dark in tunnels. It would only be a dim light, think on terms of a small oil lamp not a lighthouse, so would you expect to see it from outside the tunnel?

http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/A06THW.jpg

Thanks, Chilcompton.  I like the one in the photo.  An LED then...

Avago has about 2 inches of tunnel then hits the backscene (!) but since locos invariably end up in the tunnel during shunting operations, I  thought a sign inside might be more appropriate!

I thought that the tunnel on Avago contained only a single line?

Yes,Mike, it is a single line but I've been hoping that we might open up the tunnel to a fiddle yard so that we might extend the operating options. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Chilcompton.  I like the one in the photo.  An LED then...

Avago has about 2 inches of tunnel then hits the backscene (!) but since locos invariably end up in the tunnel during shunting operations, I  thought a sign inside might be more appropriate!

Yes,Mike, it is a single line but I've been hoping that we might open up the tunnel to a fiddle yard so that we might extend the operating options. 

But presumably it will still be a single line Polly - so therefore no Limit of Shunt board (such things not being provided on single lines for obvious reasons (once you think them through;) ).

• RMweb Gold

regards bangor, its still the case that if you are coming from the llandudno jn direction and turning back in bangor (ecs maybe?) you have to run into belmont tunnel to change ends as there is no crossover to get into the up platform at the llandundo end, for that reason you can't do it with a pair of 175s as there is no gangway to change between units

i have mentioned before that i used to do a shunt into redhill tunnel (between trent jn and east midlands parkway), that involved single handedly setting a 1500ft train back into the tunnel to avoid a runround in toton yard

i've also missed the most obvious shunt into a tunnel i do, marylebone!!

I have vague memories of shunting in the tunnel mouth at Bangor in North Wales too.....

Although I'm not 100% certain of my memories (I visited Bangor long ago)

The location is certainly a possibility - if anyone else can confirm, please do...

Having looked at your plan - I think it looks great

and as I've said on your blog, I think a tunnel would look more balanced

and natural in that setting....

Years ago, a tunnel mouth covering the exit to the fiddle was the cliche....

Lately, you don't see it modelled so often.....

Cheers

Thanks very much ... you're very kind!  I'm not too concerned about whether the tunnel mouth is a cliche because the lines that inspired the layout had plenty of tunnels.  I'm sure the people who only model real locations will find many faults in my layout, but I don't mind too much as most of my favourite layouts are fictional; eg.  Hursley, Inkerman Street,  North Shields and others.

There has been quite a bit of progress since i last updated the blog; i'll post some photos soon.  I've laid the track in the train turntable and the track coming out over the bridge.  The wiring is all in place, and so far it all works.  My ancient Pentrollers seem to work well with my Tower Brass locos and I no longer feel at all certain that i'll eventually go DCC.  I'm just building some wagons so I can test my pointwork as I build it.  That's another dilemna:  whether to use "O" gauge 32mm standards through the pointwork or "OMF" 31.5mm.  

• RMweb Premium

Yep, otherwise Bormingham New Street would never have worked.

Shunt limites were all in the tunnels.

Hth

Jim

Sorry - should say Birmingham! :)

Snow Hill as well!

The South end has 3 sidings going into the tunnel, the only way to reach the milk platform (down side) would be via a shunt into one of the down tunnel sidings.

Keith

EDIT the old Snow Hill of course!

• RMweb Gold

as it stands now, if you do a south end shunt in snow hill (such as shakespere express running round) the loco/unit has to run into moor st to drop behind the signal on the gantry to get back north as there re no shunt signals between the 2 stations, both lines are bi-directional too

• RMweb Gold

as it stands now, if you do a south end shunt in snow hill (such as shakespere express running round) the loco/unit has to run into moor st to drop behind the signal on the gantry to get back north as there re no shunt signals between the 2 stations, both lines are bi-directional too

This was at the insistence of HMRI. When the new station was built they would not allow a unit to stand in the tunnel on a gradient of 1 in 54 or thereabouts to change ends so I didn't put the signals in.

• RMweb Gold

Who did the set back move for you then coming out of Ratcliffe then?

used to do it yourself under authority of trent box, it was/is a signalled move but only certain signallers would do it as it tied up all routes apart from the up goods!

Haverthwaite Station on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway & also Edinburgh Waverly Station at one point was used for shunting. In fact didn't a Class 37 roll back or run away down the hill into the tunnel and hit a HST or DMU in the 90's?

Archived