Tyneside electrics

• RMweb Premium

Have we had this photo before? Must have been a powerful beast!

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p150240017/h33CF46E7#h33cf46e7

Arp

It was - unlike the Southern Region vans which had two, ours had four traction motors, so could muster 1000hp, not bad for a pram van.  I should imagine might have been done as a consideration of it's possible use in the way the earlier ones were, with the 'control set', a rake of coaches wired through for MU and with a parcels van at either end, for peak use?

• RMweb Premium

Off topic for a moment, sorry....had a laugh to myself at work yesterday, our young probation officer was wearing a T shirt branded 'Pugs not Drugs', only showing some form of 4 legged 'animal, not a 4 legged locomotive - all I could think of was your avatar, Michael!  She just didn't get it when she asked what I was so amused about....#sigh#  heaven help her hubby if he ever fancies a train set!

Back On Topic - no idea Michael, but if it ran on the north side (which I think it did) I should imagine it was very possible.  North Shileds (the real one, not Mr Pendlenton's version!) has a fish quay still, which was very busy in the 60's.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

as regards fish traffic, if there was a definite need for it, it would (need) to be kept at one end!

a bit OT, but the MLVs in the GE units (305 or 308?) had a 'fish' end

it's marked on the vehicle diagram at http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BREMUDiagramsIssue.pdf (page 51 of 79)

seems to be a full-width 3 or 4' long 'fish stowage area' with a drain in the corner (possibly just a hole in the floor for the fishy ice-melt)

• Like 1

could do a T shirt, it was Russell Howard who I saw wearing the pug dog one and it made me laugh,

regards the Fish, the 2 Liverpool-Southport ex LMS baggage cars had in very small writing Fish traffic this end on them aswel, I only realised what the wording was after seeing it on M68000M and there are recollections of local Southport and Liverpool people that they stank of fish.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

regards the Fish, the 2 Liverpool-Southport ex LMS baggage cars had in very small writing Fish traffic this end on them aswel, I only realised what the wording was after seeing it on M68000M and there are recollections of local Southport and Liverpool people that they stank of fish.

michael, i know you didn't mean it that way, but you might want to think how the last part of this may read! :O :D

• Like 3

it gained writing on one end when transferred to Liverpool saying "fish traffic this end" 

but was it used for carrying fish when on Tyneside?

According to the book on the Tyneside electrics, fish was carried from North Shields into Newcastle in these, hence the labelling. Outside high days and holidays, passengers' luggage was supposed to be carried only in the other compartment (referred to as the 'Perambulator Compartment', I believe), but at busy times, both were used. Hence 'High Days', I presume.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh yes, very much so. 'conspic' !!!   Could see it from my bedroom window.

NHN, got sent to Riversdale to get me away from home in Shields!  I was an engineer cadet though.

And although I lived in Liverpool at the time, I was sent to South Shields for my College time as an Engineer cadet... Different company to Neil though...

Mark

• RMweb Premium

What do you think is in that little box on the roof in front of the pan?  Looks like a fuse, but the cable looks a little femme to me for 600v DC traction current?

Edit to add it looks the same as the fuse boxes on the pick up beams.....

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

Love that shot of the ES1 too - with the EE Type 4 behind - and some very 'iffy' attire being sported!! :jester:

G'day, Neil :)

Mark

Yes the duffel coats brought back a lot of memories.  I was just 10 then.

Jamie

What do you think is in that little box on the roof in front of the pan?  Looks like a fuse, but the cable looks a little femme to me for 600v DC traction current?

Edit to add it looks the same as the fuse boxes on the pick up beams.....

Femme! Do you mean Femmer?

A great North Eastern word to all who know and love it.

Sod Cockney rhyming slang, Geordie and it's derivatives, with its mix of old English and Scandinavian takes some beating.

Ye canna whack it man.

Mike

Show pictures of what we wore back then to today's kids - no, better not, unless you have broad shoulders to cope with the mickey-taking... :no:

Mark

Do I spy a Donkey jacket I wonder if it has N.C.B on the back!! They were a niffty shade of day-glo orange if I recall :no:

Show pictures of what we wore back then to today's kids - no, better not, unless you have broad shoulders to cope with the mickey-taking... :no:

Mark

Whadya mean "Mickey Taking". I've just bought a new, "height of fashion" Duffle Coat  ((preparing early for Winter) to replace on of my ailing Donkey Jackets. :sungum:

P