The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Going Paperless?

DonB

Fantastic !

When I worked for a computer manufaturer in the past , they generated more paperwork than anyone I have ever worked for since !

It will never go out of fashion . What would we have to scribble all the layouts we are going to build at some point on !

M b

Does everyone remember that when computers first appeared in the workplace we were all assured by the suits and techies that they would make our lives so much easier, that paperwork would almost cease to exist and what remained couple be completed in a fraction of the time compared to previously?

Naturally the opposite has occurred, regardless of industry there's more paperwork than ever before, more forms to be completed, reports to be filed and everything still has to be printed out.

I can never decide if that was sheer blind optimism or deceit of the highest order....

Not to mention the immense volumes of scrap produced because it is now so easy to reprint a whole document in order to fix a couple of typos.  Or those occasions when something goes wrong and the printer spits out a zillion sheets, blank except for half a dozen random symbols in the top left corner.

• RMweb Premium

Not to mention the immense volumes of scrap produced because it is now so easy to reprint a whole document in order to fix a couple of typos.  Or those occasions when something goes wrong and the printer spits out a zillion sheets, blank except for half a dozen random symbols in the top left corner.

I had a printer that used to that. Took me ages to figure out why it would go weeks without doing so, then have a hissing fit & waste a batch of paper, several times running. Frustrating?, um that wasn't exactly what I called it!

The cure? Very simple - put the paper in the right way up! There is a side that ought to be printed on first, if you do the opposite, like on my old printer, it went nuts.

Don't believe me? Then read the packet, most tell which side to print on first, as its the one coated.

Not to mention the immense volumes of scrap produced because it is now so easy to reprint a whole document in order to fix a couple of typos...

It also benefitted the shredder industry, which turned scrap into......eBay parcel packing material!!!!

Years ago i met someone on a course who worked for the local council, He was telling a group of us how some upstart had been employed to rid the offices of paper, The individual ordered the disposal of quite a bit of stored files/paper after it had been converted to digital format, Apparently a fair bit of this paperwork related to un paid council tax and in court only paper copies where acceptable not digital copies, someone left there job rather red faced. 

Graham.

Archived