The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A Strange Looking G W R Tank

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I've done some research but can't find this tank anywhere in my vast GWR library.The number 8 doesn't ring any bells and the green looks a lot different to Hornby/Bachmanns renditions. :sarcastic: Its definitely not a 64xx.

Any help or wisecracks most welcome.Please.

post-126-0-89747000-1363463417_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

"Duck" originally called Montague was number 5741 in the railway series books. He was renumbered 8 in the television series.

I thought 'Duck' would be in the LNER A4 class along with Wild Swan and Mallard. :no:

• RMweb Gold

This class was originally built as a special batch at Brent Works (NOD) as 0-1-2s. Due to certain stability problems they were rebuilt under Dean as 0-2-0s. This did nothing much to improve running so after mulling it over Churchward exclaimed "Oh stuff it, just do them as Panniers, we've got so many of those wretched matchboxes we might as well have some more."

Should we be congratulating you on your birthday, Rob?

• RMweb Gold

This class was originally built as a special batch at Brent Works (NOD) as 0-1-2s. Due to certain stability problems they were rebuilt under Dean as 0-2-0s. This did nothing much to improve running so after mulling it over Churchward exclaimed "Oh stuff it, just do them as Panniers, we've got so many of those wretched matchboxes we might as well have some more."

Should we be congratulating you on your birthday, Rob?

Very good Mikkel.On further inspection there appears to be some design clever on the front of the loco.Instead of a moulded smokebox door and handle there's a face of some sort.Definitely not on the Swindon drawing I'm sure.No front windows on the cab either so severe cost cutting here I expect.Brent Works need a visit I think.The boss needs a good talking to here.Where is she ?

Yes on Monday thanks.

".No front windows on the cab either so severe cost cutting here I expect."

Obviously one of the later versions, after Swindon moved production to China. Now, what did they call it?......"Design Clever"? - something like that I think.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

It's an engineer's mock-up model for the proposed rebuilding of the VoR No8 as a pannier tank in 1948, stopped as a result of nationalisation when BR realised none of the parts were big enough. The model was then used to demonstrate the appearance of the experimental apple green livery; unfortunately no paint sample was available so they matched the paint to a Granny Smith from Swindon Refreshment Rooms. How she got to be that colour, nobody knew, but they painted her face on the front.

Pete (& 2 bottles of Thatchers' Katy)

• RMweb Premium

unfortunately no paint sample was available so they matched the paint to a Granny Smith from Swindon Refreshment Rooms. How she got to be that colour, nobody knew, but they painted her face on the front.

A pint of Arkell's will do that to anyone, but at her age she should have known better.

• RMweb Gold

Is that a telegram from 'Her Majesty' I spy behind the cake?

Quack

I'm not that bloody old.Cake was nice by the way and theres one candle for each decade. ;)

I'm not that bloody old.Cake was nice by the way and theres one candle for each decade. ;)

Sensible move. The lovely ladies in the office produced a 40th cake for me with the right number of candles. Between the point where they lit up and the location of the old feller intended to blow it out, the cake had received a secondary 'icing' of melted and burning wax, and was rather alarming Anna who was carrying it. Good news, the icing prevented the marzipan from being damaged: I was glad of that as that's my favourite stratum in traditional iced fruit cakes.

Archived