Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

It is worth noting that one criteria for official preservation was originality, so that is one reason that the Ex P2 locos missed out, Thompson effectively finished them off as regards originality as a P2!  The same reason that the officials didn't have an A3, as they were much modified from the original (some)  A1s...so Mr. Peglar stood in....

There is (somewhere probably) a long list of the Locos that were too modified to fit in with the criteria!

One to Note was the Highland railway 4-4-0 Ben Alder withdrawn in 1953 and languished in store at various locations supposedly waiting to be preserved and then finally cut up after 14 years in 1967 reportedly because it was non original having been fitted with a Caledonian boiler

• Like 1

Thought I would have a mess around with the HST the horrible seam line under the cab is the most obvious fault. I used some humbrol filler which I filed down and then used some sanding sticks to smooth it off. It worked well. I then painted it with warning panel yellow, as you can see my yellow and GBL yellow are not a match, so a repaint of the yellow is required. The photo below is where I am at just now.

I also thought about removing the glazing and taking a file to the windscreen to correct the shape of it, however the glazing didn't want to come out and despite only using gentle pressure there is now a big crack in the centre of the windscreen.

The point of doing this is to improve the model since I have it. However if you want a model of an HST I wouldn't use this model as a starting point

post-5114-0-23431600-1412518176_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Just to let you know that my contact abroad has supplied some  interesting news regarding the future of the GBL series and how this effects what models might or might not be released if the series continues after Issue 20.

Regretably at this moment I feel unable to post what i've been told due to certain matters (not connected with the subject of this thread) that need to be resolved - but if it becomes possible to do so fairly soon I will.

What I will add is that personally I am now wondering if several of the locos that would have been copied from modern or more recent RTR models will appear at all. The use of the old Hornby HST and the forthcomming ex-GWR 4575 2-6-2 copied from the long obsolete Lima model is, I wonder perhaps, the pointer to what may happen if the series does continue.

At this point i'm hoping that my contact has got something wrong and i've got the wrong impression - but i'm not holding my breath for some of the things i'd have liked to see just in case.

Regards.   

I think that we can read between the lines - intellectual property - and the only ones likely to benefit would appear to be those of the legal profession!

Ah well - those who want prehistoric models can get them on Ebay for much the same, or less, than the GBL price, and those who had hoped for a source of reasonably accurate loco bodies will be disappointed.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

Smiffy2 whilst my allegiances are definitely north of Watford, I would gladly purchase the T9 for its sheer attractiveness alone. On the subject of preservation....let's not be too down beat....I never thought I would see an A1.... Let alone travel behind one as I did on Severn valley a few years ago....unknown warrior ....a county....even a P2 or two

Re- HST livery, it was only the forward section of the power cars that would've been black/yellow. The rear section and the trailers were always going to be standard blue/grey.

As the HST (and loco hauled Mk3s) were regarded as what the future norm for express passenger trains would be, then there was to be no special livery for them. Hence the reversed grey/blue of the prototype didn't appear in any form on the production units.

• RMweb Premium

But I want a T9 and I'll thcream and thcream until I get one!

And a mogul...

There there, Violet Elizabeth; when he gets home, I'll ask Botty to buy you a nice cuddly puppy instead.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

(.......... with apologies to Richmal Crompton)!

• RMweb Premium

But I want the narrow cab version with 6 wheel tenders...  So whats the betting that if they do produce one, it will be a wide cab version with the watercart.......

Andy G

• Like 3

Hi,

Dont laugh too soon - it might just happen !!.

Regards.

I hope not, I've already ready got two too many Tri-ang Princesses already (acquired in job lots!). I've also got the body and tender of a Trix 'Princess', which give the impression that Rovex did the same as GBL when they produced theirs.

Incidently machines are 'she', because they're temperamental and respond to TLC...

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I think that we can read between the lines - intellectual property ...

Unless I am totally mistaken, if the knock off maker is producing the knock off from all newly cut tooling based on measuring a model - essentially the knock off is a model of a model - then that is considered fair. Ironically, if they were to copy the manufacturer's blurb on the box the model came in - even by writing it out longhand, and then transcribing that into a form suitable for printing - that would be an intellectual rights infringment, copyright theft.

Unless I am totally mistaken, if the knock off maker is producing the knock off from all newly cut tooling based on measuring a model - essentially the knock off is a model of a model - then that is considered fair. Ironically, if they were to copy the manufacturer's blurb on the box the model came in - even by writing it out longhand, and then transcribing that into a form suitable for printing - that would be an intellectual rights infringment, copyright theft.

I understand producing a model of something is  fine but to then apply a company's livery requires permission and possibly royalty payments.

On the contrary I believe, in the past,  model manufacturer's received payments for advertising on tank wagons etc.

But this is all food for lawyers and thus best kept well away from.

EDIT to make sense

Edited by Il Grifone

Good points Jason, I think the bottom line is were one of the luckiest countries in the world when it comes to preserved steam loco's with the range and selection that's preserved, there's always going to be a wish list of engines that "Got away" we've all got our favorites but what a choice we have thankfully from many sources

It has to be remembered that we have a lot wider choice than most countries.

Locomotives are expensive, do you want to fund the purchase of numerous locomotives to build it up a bit. I'd say they kept a relatively equal balance and I think the LNER (used as umbrella term for any appropriate constituent companies aswell) has the right to maybe have a few extra Locos compared to the rest considering they were the ones to actually think of having a museum anyway.

Personally having been born far too late to witness steam in its prime myself I'm grateful for anything preserved and being Cornish I'm especially gratful to the LNER and the current NRM for preserving City of Truro.

Rhys

I would heartily agree (and add 'pay for' as well as 'think of').

I've heard conflicting versions, but one is that it was actually the LNER to ask to preserve City of Truro considering her record*. The GWR, of course, was busy scrapping all her sisters, while lesser railways were still building new 4-4-0s.

*I won't comment on it's authenticity, beyond stating that my comments below will give an idea what I think, and I won't go into a 'Saint' doing 120mph in 1906 (135 mph if timed in the same way as a certain American 127 mph record).

• Like 2

It is a sad fact that Swindon had "preserved" a couple of Broad Gauge locos (North Star and another, Lord of The Isles?) but when the space they occupied was required for "operational reasons", nowhere it seems could be found to take them, and they were dismantled. (The later replica "North Star" is reputed to contain a few original parts...)

So, it is lucky that the York museum took "Truro" and "Gladstone" (which was purchased from the company by the Stepenson Locomotive Society I think..)

I believe that Derby had a similar loco stash, that didn't survive for similar reasons?

Edited by Sarahagain

I believe the driving wheels were still around somewhere at Swindon and I read somewhere (an official GWR publication IIRC) that a buffer was located in use as a piano stool. It should be remembered that 'nostalgia' is a relatively modern idea and the broad gauge equipment was regarded as out-moded junk*. Similarly only nos 116, and 158A  survived at Derby.

* They were, after all, commercial companies with a first duty to shareholders, rather than enthusiasts and posterity.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Unfortunately Swindon Works has had a bit of a "jinx" for preserved locos - at least whilst it was an active workshops.

A Warship used to be on display outside the Works but workers angry at the announcement of closure in 1985 cut it up!

I just hope none of the current preserved occupants of the Works suffer the same fate.... 

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately Swindon Works has had a bit of a "jinx" for preserved locos - at least whilst it was an active workshops.

A Warship used to be on display outside the Works but workers angry at the announcement of closure in 1985 cut it up!

I just hope none of the current preserved occupants of the Works suffer the same fate.... 

I think they were actually trying to save it, but no-one wanted it and so management forced it to be cut. But don't forget that the last of the NBL hydraulics had been bought by the DEPG, and swindon cut it by mistake! They were then offered the Warship that they now have as a consolation prize.

Andy G

Have subscribers received anything yet?  There was that e-mail that said the payment dates were going to be altered to "better reflect the dispatch" or whatever.  The Director and HST have been out a bit but no comments from our subscribers on their ones - are they going to send out the returns from the shops perhaps?

Thanks for the info regarding the livery details of the black and yellow HST.

No, I've not yet received issues 16 and 17, but I see I'm not the only one. I received 14 and 15 on 29th August (almost six weeks ago), and so either that delivery was early, or the latest delivery is late.

And I'm still waiting for issue 2. I phone them about once a month about it, to see if there's any further news about receiving new stock of that issue. The last time I phoned, at the beginning of September, I was told that there are 'hundreds' of customers also waiting for a copy of issue 2.

Edited by Sabreman64

There was a Mars Bar bus (Lledo IIRC). It came with 4 small bars and, in the one I have, someone has replaced the choc bars with dummies from wood.

I think that the 70s/80s marked the turning point, when manufacturer's failed to see the advantages of advertising to the next generation, though (I may be wrong on this) I gather that Hornby stopped making yellow mustard vans in the 20s due to objections from Colman's. Peco offered a 'Wonderful Wagon' kit in this livery around 40 years later, so they must have seen the light!

I read somewhere that there was no GWR Trix Twin stock*, because the GWR didn't consider them realistic enough. (Seeing some of the Hornby items even less realistic, I'm not 100% convinced by this.)

I doubt there were are royalties involved with the war-time 'Pool' tanker though.

*There exists an illustration of a Trix GWR wagon, but that's as far as it got AFAIK.

(It's not only chocolate bars that shrink in size and increase in price!)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1