RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

For anyone thinking of motorising the T9, or converting to Ben Adler or the like, I've started the ex-GEM chassis designed for the Glen/Scott as a replacement for the Triang L1. It's probably the easiest etch chassis I've ever put together, and should be readily convertible for most 40mm wheelbase 4-4-0's. The etch is excellent, with accurate tabs to fit spacers, I'm currently sticking one under a Butler-Henderson.

John

Edit - Supplier http://www.lytchettmanor.co.uk/. They quote delivery 28 days, but I found them easy and helpful to deal with. Note the chassis kit, like almost all, does ny include wheels and motor.

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 2

post-4032-0-20486900-1415401009.jpg

re the T9.  I've found a drawing of the LSWR K10 class,  same boiler dia as T9 but shorter firebox and shorter coupled wheelbase, also smaller driving wheels.   Here's a comparison with my Hornby T9, so think if GBL boiler is shortened and splashers cut down, could get away with it.  There was also the L11 which seems to have been the K10 with the T9 firebox (so would only have to cut off the T9 superheated version smokebox, and which had the T9 coupled wheelbase although smaller wheels as well.  L11s had the 8 wheel tender and some K10s did as well. 

So original unsuperheated T9, (shorter smokebox, wing plates) K10 and L11 in LSWR livery would appear possible.

Might have to widen the cab/splashers as well, need to do some more research there. But - in with a chance, perhaps.

They would need an original Drummond chimney of course, and smokebox wing plates. I  think I've got a chimney somewhere, did see it some years ago. :-(

That's without thinking about any of those rather nice Scottish locos....

Er, probably won't find any GBL T9s now.  Hope the Asda buyer is on his toes....

Also, thanks for the Gem 4-4-0 chassis heads-up,  Rowanj. Could be just the job.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 6

Thanks indeed rowan didnt realise gem was still available....looking at the photos and I was transported back to the 70s looking at their adverts in the R Modeller or in the kit section of the W and H catalogue. Nice to see they have upgraded the chassis on what was, and by the look of it a fine series of kits. I have no wish to create another diversion from this main thread merely to enquire of the others on this thread if it is known if the Nucast range is still or about to be produced again? In the meantime where's my shirts with the penny round collars and my flares.....if only I could still get into them!

Will5210 was the member who pointed me in the direction of the ex Gem chassis. His topic on the LNER site is we'll worth a look.The chassis kit is very up to date, and has spacers for EM for those so inclined. It does have con rods being complete other than motor and wheels.Cost around £30, so with wheels and motor you don't get much change out of £80 to build.However I had these in the spares box so it doesn't count!!! You can follow the D11 build on the link below.

I believe the man who was producing NuCast retired at the end of 2012.

Edited by rowanj

If the axles need splitting on the Princess so as to move the wheels out to line up with the splashers,  I would have thought that this meant the body of the loco was overscale.

Particularly as the driving wheels of the loco as assembled by GBL line up with OO track.

Keith.

• Like 1

If the axles need splitting on the Princess so as to move the wheels out to line up with the splashers,  I would have thought that this meant the body of the loco was overscale.

Particularly as the driving wheels of the loco as assembled by GBL line up with OO track.

Keith.

Keith, it's a rare case of a model being made to scale, with regard to the splashers, even if it was done inadvertently. As you can see from my series of pics, the altered wheels fit P4 track!

Cheers

Shane

GBL have chopped off the top of the wheels to fit under the running plate, but not enough if the body is lowered to the correct height. The splashers are hollow, but the plastic is too thick (as it needs to be for strength) for proper clearance, and they are closed on the inside. The model measures 36mm over the running plate. (This could be a tad too wide? - A 'Princess' is 9' overall (according to the drawing I have), but I think this is over the cylinders. Has anyone got better drawings?)

Edited by Il Grifone

Guest spet0114

I'm eagerly awaiting the T9 in the shops - has anyone seen any on the shelves?  My local WHSmiths still has a couple of princesses, but no T9s.

I actually want three or four - one to keep in LSWR and one, at least, in early Southern green. Perhaps a malachite, and a BR. I don't want to make working locos, but I suspect I'll try at least one Alan Gibson chassis/wheels. Maybe an alternate tender.  Perhaps one with cross water tubes, but I haven't fully worked out all the complexities of that one.

I'm reading Russell to see if they can easily be converted into something else, but I suspect not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Finding the lack of D&E subjects quite annoying now - the rumour/intent of a Peak being one of the primary reasons I risked subscribing... And even moreso now that we have (essentially) wasteful duplicates appearing in the steam selection (Castle/King).

Bah.

• Like 2

Finding the lack of D&E subjects quite annoying now - the rumour/intent of a Peak being one of the primary reasons I risked subscribing... And even moreso now that we have (essentially) wasteful duplicates appearing in the steam selection (Castle/King).

Bah.

I heard the next diesel will be a 33.......

Cheers

Shane