Great British Locomotives

EddieB

T9 is shortened, smokebox wings added, door modified and fitted. Cross tube boxes made but not fitted, sandboxes halfway there. No chimney. But you can't have everything...

It's looking good for original condition. I've ordered a Hornby tender underframe - is it a case of just shortening the tender body to fit?

I'm liking the wheels/chassis on this one, and unlike others I don't think I'll need to replace it.

• Like 3

T9 is shortened, smokebox wings added, door modified and fitted. Cross tube boxes made but not fitted, sandboxes halfway there. No chimney. But you can't have everything...

It's looking good for original condition. I've ordered a Hornby tender underframe - is it a case of just shortening the tender body to fit?

I'm liking the wheels/chassis on this one, and unlike others I don't think I'll need to replace it.

Smiffy we need pictures....lots of pictures

So far - no filling done yet.

First job was to cut off the chimney (to be replaced by an Alan Gibson), then cut back the smokebox to the level of the saddle. The smokebox door was taken out and the locating ring pared back and sanded. A smokebox wing plate was made using Russell as a template (40 thou plastikard) and the whole thing cemented together.

post-17799-0-84420700-1416077618.jpg

post-17799-0-62702900-1416078065.jpg

The handrails were cut back, along with other pipework, and holes drilled for handrail knobs. Best to do this by carving a flat spot in the knob locations before filing the moulded-on rail back, centre marking and then drilling. It still doesn't always work...

The cross tube boxes were made out of two pieces of 40 thou laminated. They're a ######. The shape isn't too complex, but it's very hard to get them to stay in position - the one I've done so far didn't. I've carved it back and I'll make good with filler. Same goes for the sandboxes.

post-17799-0-11659200-1416077829.jpg

There's some tidying needed, the handrails and some pipework to make, but so far it's not looking like too bad a job. I don't moan too much if a part needs taking off and a better one made - that left hand tube box is getting smaller and smaller...

post-17799-0-51522900-1416077929.jpg

I could have made things simpler by just cutting and shutting the smokebox...  I'm keeping the 8-wheel tender on this one, though another will get a 6-wheeler.

The next step is paint and lining - I haven't seen anywhere that makes LSWR lining, though I've got a thought that someone makes some which is included in an SR set.

• Like 4

Now I know this might seem crazy but if anyone wants to get shot of their HST power cars I may be interested in some swapsies. I have two 9F's and a slightly warped Black 5 available. Stop laughing at the back but I have a plan.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 1

Progress to date on the D11 on GEM Glen chassis. My posts on the link below show how I got to this point. As I used a video clip of "SOMME" to check how the loco was lined - note the cab is different on Scottish engines, SOMME she will be.

post-1659-0-63765900-1416080001_thumb.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 6

Greenhithe Asda had a T9 this morning. She appeared complete, though some of the fittings were a bit skew and the number transfer '117' as well. Possibly suitable for a repaint, she was still there when I left. A quick scan of Dartford W.H.Smith revealed no part works at all. They must have either hidden them well or given up on them.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I just received 18 today on its own but for an apology slip saying delivery problems 19 to follow. I get the feeling this series has been more successful than planned and the expected drop of in orders hasn't happened! I was in NORWICH yesterday and didn't see any models in the usual shops.

There's a big pile on the floor...

The desk isn't so bad:

post-17799-0-13363600-1416084923.jpg

but the rest of the room - not so much...

post-17799-0-21023900-1416084968.jpg

It's what used to be my office when I was working. The iMac is in there, and as you can see the new Silhouette cutter. It's a bit cramped.

• Like 1

There's a big pile on the floor...

The desk isn't so bad:

attachicon.gifIMG_0227.jpg

but the rest of the room - not so much...

attachicon.gifIMG_0228.jpg

It's what used to be my office when I was working. The iMac is in there, and as you can see the new Silhouette cutter. It's a bit cramped.

Don't mind me saying so, but you do look rather hirsute for someone with Immac.

Edited by EddieB