Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Premium

I hope that I have got this right as I have only just become a member and have been interested in some of the items said about Great British Locomotives.

I have not read everything so excuse me if this has been answered.

I wondered  if there was anyone who was upgrading a particular model who no longer required the black plastic molded railway track plyth that is attached to these models as one of mine got cracked in the post and I cannot find an email address for the publishers and I think that some of the prices for past copies on ebay are astronomical.

Funny you should mention it, but I have a couple spare. Yours for the postage. PM me...

Andy G

• Like 1

John nice k4... Love it when all those bits and pieces come together to produce a nice result like this. You are aware have used the GBL black five bogie...replaced the plastic keeper plate with a lead one (from a length of roof strip left over from my house ) glued in place...this gives weight to the bogie...12mm axles added....home made swing arm...more lead strip soldered into the class 5 chassis. I will add lead shot into body with cyano.....looks a bit of a hotch pitch at present...will add photos when more presentable. I am trying to use as much of the GBL source model as possible.

Guest spet0114

If nobody here has the right one, Joe Lock had a load in his "bits box" at Newbury today.

Didn't see those,  but I was distracted by the magnificent Gresley quint-art sets on the O-gauge circuit..

Cheers

Adrian

Can anyone advise me what wheelbase to use when trying to convert the GBL Wainwright C Class please. Is it possible to motorise the tender and avoid hacking away at the engine? What wheelbase would I then use for the engine?

Any assistance appreciated as I am new to this and may be being a bit ambitious.

Can anyone advise me what wheelbase to use when trying to convert the GBL Wainwright C Class please. Is it possible to motorise the tender and avoid hacking away at the engine? What wheelbase would I then use for the engine?

Any assistance appreciated as I am new to this and may be being a bit ambitious.

Hello Jamie,

If you read back a couple of pages, I've used a Bachmann Jinty chassis and it fits rather well with a fair amount of work, and another person (who's name I've forgotten whoops) used an airfix tender driven chassis and it looks very good.

• Like 1

Hello Jamie,

If you read back a couple of pages, I've used a Bachmann Jinty chassis and it fits rather well with a fair amount of work, and another person (who's name I've forgotten whoops) used an airfix tender driven chassis and it looks very good.

Yes, that is the Airfix GMR (also made by Hornby...did Dapol make any?)  LMS 4f 0-6-0 Tender Loco.  The GBL C Class body still needs the footplate cutiing out to clear the wheels and fit on the chassis block.

For best results, the C class tender chassis needs a hole cutting in the "floor" to fit the motor from the Airfix GMR tender, and the C Class coal load would need to be cut out, and a slightly higher load made to clear the Airfix motor...

I am also working on one using this method....

• Like 1

That was me and Nedrahn did one first!  My post is at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69535-great-british-locomotives/page-159&do=findComment&comment=1775473

The C class has the same coupled wheelbase (and wheel spacing) as the 4F (or indeed 3F etc).  The prototype C class wheels are 5' 2" whereas the 4F's are 5' 3"  but the Airfix wheels are a bit clumpy anyway so if you can live with that.....

Nedrahn pointed out that you do have to shorten the end of the Aifix loco chassis so it fits under the cab    and Sarahagain pointed out that the moulded sandboxes need to be cut off as the C sandboxes are over the footplate.  Other than that, it will all fit together and you can have an Airfix style C. 

Thinking of painting mine black if I can find where I put the southern transfers.

But you can also fit a powered 0-6-0 chassis if you want to go the extra mile,as has been done on this thread.  I just happened to have the Airfix chassis and just found another at the bottom of the bits box so what other GBL 0-6-0 could come along?...

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

Yes, that is the Airfix GMR (also made by Hornby...did Dapol make any?) 

They came in the blue Airfix box at first then in the maroon GMR (great model railways) box. Unlike the 14xx I've never seen a Dapol one, I think the moulds must have gone straight to Hornby or been made available to them when they started doing the ex Airfix releases to expand their range (in the 90's I think?  There was a Simon says blog that covered this, I think, but not sure how far back he wrote it).

post-4032-0-49207800-1424021593_thumb.jpg

OK for double heading.  2  I renumbered a while ago for SDJR allocated locos (one's been altered to right hand drive).

post-4032-0-54933000-1424021769.jpg

This is in original condition with the later GMR box.  Airfix did the 4F as 4454 or in BR E/E as 44454. They also fitted their excellent small coupling, the size of which seems to have become the standard,  but some had a much bigger Hornby sized coupling. 

Not too bad in their day, got mine when they were still being made, think Airfix raised the bar in scale r-t-r locos.

• Like 1

Dapol only sold Airfix made 4Fs, they did list a lined black LMS one and a LMS maroon one as well as one in SDJR blue but none of these were ever made, thankfully in the case of the LMS ones. Think Palitoy equally should be credited in raising standard, whilst mechanically not perfect in the long run, many of the bodies have survived well in the Bachmann range.

• Like 2

Good point about Palitoy and Mainline. Think the use of plastic moulding with a lot more detail being added in Hong Kong factories meant more authentic models were produced.  The split chassis system seemed a good idea at the time (until the plating wore off the axles!) and the original pancake motor was rather growly. Having said which, I've still got a few that while not high mileage are still capable of chugging round the layout when they come out the display case, std 4 being particularly good.

I saw a display at the National Railway Museum once of different commercial models and their conclusion was that the Hong Kong made models like the Airfix and Mainline Scots for example, were very much a new dawn for r-t-r. 

ps really glad a red 4F wasn't made :O

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

You are spot on both airfix and palitoy created not just the locomotive  models, but also the coaching and wagon stock which set the standards, the current manufacturers have now moved on..

It was the Mainline LMS 57' coaches in carmine/cream that got me back into 00.  The windows looked good, unlike the decidedly non-flush ones in the chunky sided coaches that were normal at the time.  (And they were only £2.99 then!)

• Like 3

Hello again from me.

I've been contacted over the past few months(pm'd) by many other visitors to this thread of the Gbl models.This is to carry on with the thread sometime back of what happened to the bits salvaged from the two 45XXs I used to make the one decent one!!

Well I chopped the wheel set up off one of them and got a decent 0-6-0 chassis to fit a static J94 model. This locomotive will be for the for the 'rear, of the layout area scene, possibly on scrap or in shed area? . I've taken other photographs of how I achieved this one and may publish on another day if there is interest in the finished model??

Will tell you all , Homebase circular saw and a sharp one at that, has lost all its teeth and is now  a flat disc.!! The J94 body is an ex Dapol factory second that was never sent out by them due to burnt out motor on testing!! I asked for spare parts to work on and was sent this item free of charge. Measurements for the chassis were copied from the old Airfix J94 model. Yes its all in there and never been built. I just got the measurements right with use of this kit, so it wasn't riding to high on chassis.

Detailing has already taken place with use of already drilled holes for handrail wires and a Crownline brass new funnel has been fitted where original missing from Dapol was missing!!

To be fitted to front buffer beam believe it or not will be a large steam Westinghouse pump!! I have several photos of McMurdo on the Longmoor Military Railway. Thinking of copying this style although the 45 degree handrails will have to come off front of locomotive. Also large pipe runs down right hand side of locomotive from cab.

Think this will look good in LMR colours, as I also have several other locomotives in this colour scheme. Also included in this thread are two other locomotive that might take peoples interest?

The models are now difficult to get hold of .

The WD model inspired a modeller, who I am in touch with in Australia to finish his model off!!

Rowanj s models with different chassis gave me the idea to publish these photos today as the chassis for both the latter models are odd to say the least. The E4 which is a rare Deans Sidings super detailed model is on a Bachmann model chassis. The whole chassis frame was turned round the other way to fit and was difficult to get working.!! The W.D is a McGowen model fitted to a Jouef Mikado chassis very carefully chopped to fit. An absolute pain to get working well, possibly one of the most fiddly jobs I have done so far??

Both Dean Siding model and McGowens are super detailed anybody that has one of these and would like some advice and photos of the build please PM me. These models may wet your appetites as I doubt if Gbl would make them ever. As I don't know if any of the listed ones will still make it now. Anybody interested Chichester Smiffs had a Std 4 this past Sunday is wasn't that bad either.

post-14209-0-51775600-1424119533_thumb.jpg

post-14209-0-18880000-1424119994_thumb.jpg

post-14209-0-89396600-1424120035_thumb.jpg

post-14209-0-27680000-1424120230_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uries15
  • Like 4

Hi David

Just followed your link and read the detail.

I suppose if your already good with your hands the assembly is within the scope of some model makers.

As its open source that explains how the kit of parts is a bargain, I was concerned about the 50% failure rate when printing, but hey its a new science!

My Dad bless him often made several attempts at parts when he built his County Carlow. (Working steam model) as everything had to be perfect, and he was using a Lathe or Milling Machine.

So keep up with the good work.

Regards

Paul

I don't need a 'Royal Scot', but.........

need sir....when has need had an influence on our modelling purchases......a LSWR liveried t9 sits amongst my midland region BR black and express green...a dark blue king awaiting new cab sides....various v2 bodies randomly stacked awaiting underpinnings.......the only thing that's needed is for my solitary pound coin to be joined by others of its kind....highly unlikely I whilst GBL continues...