Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Thanks, Londontram for your supportive comments. One great thing I've found with GBL is that it's encouraged me to go through the bits box and find some chassis, wheels, etc that can be used as part of a GBL project. Also to try using some older locos that I had intended to thin out via ebay etc.  With a bit of tlc some older stuff does run surprisingly well - and it's been great fun getting them running again. I seem to be building up a sort of retro link of old style locos, tender drive Hornby and Airfix, xo4 powered Bullied pacific etc. 

So encouraged by Sarahagain's Hornby and Tri-ang style locos, the C is perhaps as it might have been made by Airfix.

• Like 1

Great work railroadbill, it's definitely a much simpler solution to motorising the C class than me using my Jinty method haha.

True it's a simpler solution (but it's not finished yet! Separate handrails, what livery, etc etc) but your jinty chassis will be a better runner, have finer wheels and motion so be a better scale model. While they were ok back in the day, the Airfix wheels do have wider treads and deep flanges than would be used commercially now. I've been admiring your C class motorization,  keep on posting!

• Like 3

Excellent stuff, railroadbill. And yes, it looks uncannily like mine - but then it would! My first one will be Southern black with Bulleid lettering. I tend to paint locos all black if I can get away with it. This is a man who was seriously considering a wartime black King, and never mind little trifles like the fact that the GWR didn't paint one black.

I think it's worth repeating the part about GBL plastic. It's not the best. If anyone is using a craft knife or similar, be extra careful. SECR locos were never blood red.

• Like 1

Going back to one of the earlier GBL  releases, which I never obtained at the time, the Castle class.   What type of inside cylinder cover was it fitted with.?

Keith

Hi Keith,

post-4032-0-38545900-1423434305.jpg

GBL castle showing cylinder cover. Hope that helps. The chimney is a Mainly Trains one (the later shorter and fatter one). I've cut off the moulded handrails but that's as far as I've got.

post-4032-0-67416600-1423434408.jpg

GBL alongside  Airfix Caerphilly Castle showing the type as first fitted to Castles. I've got a copy of Model Rail with an  article on Castle models by George Dent  who said that the ex-Airfix moulds were modified by Hornby when they wanted to make later versions. Guess that's the one used by GBL. 

• Like 3

Excellent stuff, railroadbill. And yes, it looks uncannily like mine - but then it would! My first one will be Southern black with Bulleid lettering. I tend to paint locos all black if I can get away with it. This is a man who was seriously considering a wartime black King, and never mind little trifles like the fact that the GWR didn't paint one black.

I think it's worth repeating the part about GBL plastic. It's not the best. If anyone is using a craft knife or similar, be extra careful. SECR locos were never blood red.

Yes, i was wondering about black with Bulleid lettering as well, if I can find the transfers. Trouble is the loco looks very nice in green. Halfords matt black aerosols do rather well (well for me anyway!)  and Testors Dulcote is just the job for a final matt finish.

I had problems trying to get a clean cut scoring with a knife with the deltic chassis, but now I've discovered the dremel disc saw  cutter I'll have another go with that.

• Like 1

Just rectified the bind on my motion...not on the elaborate double crank and lubricator arm...just lack of clearance on the front crankpin nut and connecting rod....a common situation on my chassis builds...a whiz of a dremel...touch of a file....and hey presto she runs. I am sorry if Indeed our esteemed contributor has removed himself from this thread. His reviews of the models are what attracted me to this thread and my subsequent contributions.....so that might be a source of regret......in any event should he add to this in the future I for one will welcome those posts. If not then I wish him health and happiness in all his pursuits.

• Like 1

I've just been in to WH Smith's in Wallington to try to order a couple of copies of Rocket, and they inform me in their halting and inarticulate fashion that if I order two extras I'll have to order two of everything subsequent as well...

Way to improve sales, WHS!

• RMweb Gold

It's a sad day for this forum if Weathering Man has left completely.

I'm a bit confused as to what has happened. As far as I understand, there was a disagreement (did anyone doubt WM's sources? He seemed to be on the ball the whole time), and now because of that, someone has not only stopped posting, but removed all their content and informative reviews, leaving us all poorer as a result.

Sorry if this sounds like ranting, but I just do not understand the whole I'M ANGRY RIGHT NOW, DELETE EVERYTHING! thing. 

Reminds me of when that excellent LNER modeller left and announced they would not post here any more because they did not like someone photoshopping pictures. 

Carrying on from my last thread.

News is that T9 and C Class purchased today for moving on by me as buyer wants these. All that is now left in shop is the A3 Flying Scotsman model . The V2 Green Arrow and one last Class 45 Peak.

King and Caley gone now sorry to say.

Before I go again, has the Weathering Man really gone???????

Looks like he really has thrown his 'toys 'out of the pram!! AH Diddums!!! :scratchhead:

Edited by Uries15

I'm a bit confused as to what has happened. As far as I understand, there was a disagreement (did anyone doubt WM's sources? He seemed to be on the ball the whole time), and now because of that, someone has not only stopped posting, but removed all their content and informative reviews, leaving us all poorer as a result.

Sorry if this sounds like ranting, but I just do not understand the whole I'M ANGRY RIGHT NOW, DELETE EVERYTHING! thing. 

Reminds me of when that excellent LNER modeller left and announced they would not post here any more because they did not like someone photoshopping pictures. 

I'm with you 100% on that.

It's my fault, I was stupid enough to defend someone who had the temerity to post some information that he'd got from the publisher on 'Weatheringman's thread'; (though he didn't start it).

I, so I thought, mildly admonished Wm for the dismissive tone that he used in his rebuttal, at which point said gent got all huffy and stormed off with 'his ball'.

I have subsequently had a couple of agitated PMs from Wm to which I replied, trying to placate him, but I will now ignore any further communication from him.

It's a shame really - he posted some useful stuff - but it seems that he needed to be regarded as the 'sole oracle' on this subject.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It's my fault....

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not your fault John and no need to apologise.

Nothing you said merited a 'toys out of pram' response.

• RMweb Premium

I went in to my local Asda's today and was pleasantly surprised to see a GBL Class 4 on the shelves seeing as they had not had any GBL offerings since way before Christmas. When I enquired of the assistant who was filling the magazine shelves she told me that sometimes they got a large delivery, sometimes one or two but most often none at all. I will have to get down there sharpish on the 16th to see if they have the 'Rocket'.

• Like 1

As a long-time silent follower of this thread (I'm fascinated by what some of you have done to these static models, being a ham-fisted type), I was reading through this thread last night having a "catch-up". You can see at the bottom of each page just who is viewing a thread and for a good two hours, WM was here. I can only assume he was deleting all his posts. Every time I moved on to a new page, the post count was going down and I think in total this thread is now shorter by a whopping 20 pages. This went on for ages. Now, I'll be the first to admit that his posts and reviews were a kind of glue that held the thread together. Lots and lots of valuable input and knowledge and much appreciated it was.

However, like Corbs, I simply cannot understand what would motivate someone to waste an entire evening manually removing all his content. If something upset him, I fail to see why everyone should lose out. As has been said, the thread is poorer as a result. I've often felt from the tone of some of his posts elsewhere (and the resulting arguments) that WM needed to sit at the head of the table and God help anyone that tried to pinch his seat. No disrespect intended at all, but it does smack of sulking to the casual bystander. His choice, but our loss, and I just don't think that's particularly fair...

I do sincerely hope that it won't put anyone off showing what they've done to their models as, to me, that's the major appeal of this thread. A thread like this doesn't need an overseer, it needs contributions from everyone, skilled, unskilled etc. And I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of humour thrown in either. I guess it wouldn't do if we were all the same.

Shame.

• Like 1

It's my fault, I was stupid enough to defend someone who had the temerity to post some information that he'd got from the publisher on 'Weatheringman's thread'; (though he didn't start it).

I, so I thought, mildly admonished Wm for the dismissive tone that he used in his rebuttal, at which point said gent got all huffy and stormed off with 'his ball'.

I have subsequently had a couple of agitated PMs from Wm to which I replied, trying to placate him, but I will now ignore any further communication from him.

It's a shame really - he posted some useful stuff - but it seems that he needed to be regarded as the 'sole oracle' on this subject.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi,

Right lets get a few facts straight instead of the bending of the truth that is taking place here.

Firstly I have never at any time expected to be the 'only' source of information on this thread and in fact have never been so.

What I did was to say that from the information I regularly recieve that I knew that nobody at the 'publisher' would be able to give a definate and firm list of issues and dates and I gave very clear reasons as to why that was.

John Isherwood took me to task for using the word 'minion' and has also PM'd me to say that the use of that word 'got his back up' - and yet if Members look back to post number 2929 or thereabouts you will find that he himself used that very word in one of his posts. When I asked him in a PM why he appeared to be rather hypocritical he replied to the effect that it was not him using the word by he was speaking as though being someone from GBL !.

He also made comments about 'revealing sources' and intimated that i'd never revealed mine - I have said on several occasions that I have regular telephone conversations with a party abroad involved with the 'production' process.

I say again that never have I expected or wanted to be thought of as the 'sole' 'best' or 'only' source of information but that I did like to know that information posted was at least as reliable as possible so that fellow modellers were not misled.

What did offend me is the manner in which John Isherwood decided to 'twist' things.

He even accused me of starting a 'slanging match' with 'King Pin' - something I did not do in any way and actually I personally welcomed King Pin's post as it was interesting to compare same with the information that I hold but have been asked not to publish just yet.

I sincerely hope that King Pin does not feel he was responsible for my decision - he most certainly was not and my following post only explained that the information he was given came from a source that was not fully feliable because it came from the wrong part of the organisation.

That King Pin published it in totally good faith has never in my book been in any doubt - he was given it by a source that most people would feel reasonably sure of rightly or wrongly.

My post explaining the situation was not an attack on King Pin it was stating that the most proved reliable information comes from the 'production' side and why.

I have been giving serious thought during the day as to whether I should stick to what I decided yesterday due to the fact that I have recieved several messages from Members asking me to reconsider and over a dozen private emails asking the same.

Although I felt offended by the tone adopted by the poster mentioned I began to think that perhaps he should not be the cause of no further postings or reviews so I was thinking of changing my mind.

Further comments by John Isherwood above are once again offensive in the same way.

I will continue for the time being to participate in other threads but i'm sorry that at the moment I cannot see a way in which I might wish to participate here.

This post sets the record straight and if some people want to read something else into it that is there proble.

I wonder in fact how long it will be before this post gets deleted as I expect it might be considered rather too much 'freedom of speech' - it is however a true summing up of what offended me kn the first place.

Having broken my decision to post this I see no reason to return to this thread again i'm sorry to say.