Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Having found this thread recently and being overseas not having seen any of these, can anybody tell me if it is possible to get "back numbers" of the magazine or just the models?

I want the Midland compound, no. 14 I think.

What is the contact address/e-mail of the magazine?

Edward

The website is here and back numbers are supposedly available at cost + 50p. Problems have been reported with ordering, however.

http://greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/_uk/

They are also available on eBay, but usually suffer from considerable mark-ups. There is this one though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-1000-Midland-Railway-Compounds-No-14-in-Great-British-Locomotive-Collection-/301516669304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4633cb4178

Edited by Il Grifone

....You have not revealed your source, but we take your information at face value; I would expect that we will do the same with King Pin's information; he has at least declared his source.

This thread will be ruined if it descends into a "my source is better than your source" slanging match !!

Too many cooks spoil the broth, especially if one wants the monopoly on information.

What comes next....yes half the fun is awaiting the Friday announcement....then tracking down those stores that actually sell it....I dont believe a model is being produced until it's under my arm having paid for it at the checkout....but the real,pleasure is seeing the results produced from these models in motorising or adapting them....let's enjoy them whilst they are here

dear all had a bit of a lull on this model not least my work area is in the loft and the present cold weather . Freezing fingers and soldering unions are not a good mix. You may think the first photo is the same as previously shown. It is not...it is now after a virtual rebuild to improve clearances over the connecting rods....all successfully achieved. The second photo is to reiterate my statement over being a clumsy clot knocking over the Klear. You may notice an unintended adaptation to the cab caused by the soldering iron falling onto it. Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make proud! Fortunately comet is now up and running again and a stanier cab purchased and awaiting construction...and yes the other side of the valve gear....

Too many cooks spoil the broth, especially if one wants the monopoly on information.

Like all good stews if you leave it too long it'll stick to the pan and be ruins'd then no one can enjoy it !

Reminds me of my student days when a lovely couple from church would ensure that all the students and young singles had somewhere to go to for Sunday lunch.

One one occasion, I was having lunch with that particular couple and a bunch of my friends when one of them complimented the lady who had prepared the lunch on how good the potatoes were and asked what she did to stop them sticking to the pan.

Before she could answer, another of my friends said "They wouldn't dare!"

Edited by RJS1977

Day 2 of motorising the C class and I think I've nailed it, I coninued file down the inside if the boiler and raised the footplate ever so slightly and it fits over the motor lovely now without apply lots of pressure onto it like my last attempt. The prototype I'm modelling has extra boxes (sand boxes?) on the other side of the splashers so that should hide the motor a bit more, bit even that still leaves a small part of the motor still visible, so I think I'll just paint it black to hide it. But all in all I'm really happy and now I can leave it in the drawer until I've got the nessecary parts to carry out my conversion.

post-19436-0-62744600-1423340312_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the poor pic, and the white parts that are visible are plasticard replicating as much of the boiler I can and hiding the wires, this will also be painted black.

Nelson

• Like 6

As an attempt on my part to put the position clearly has been interpreted by this poster as a 'slanging match' I will therefor as of now offer no further information or review postings to this thread in case should it be desireable to correct something is again taken to be a 'slanging match' rather than information intended to help keep the record straight or to help someone.

With respect, I do think that's an overreaction. I can see your point of view, and I can certainly appreciate that it's easy to make a snap decision or comment - I have a quick temper! However, plenty of contributors to this thread have said that they like your posts and find them informative. Doesn't that at least give you the satisfaction to continue? I do hope so.

Regarding KingPin, it could be that he's out to make mischief, but equally it could be he's what he appears to be, a new member who believes he has something worthwhile to contribute. An argument isn't the best welcome. When I joined, I made an innocent comment and was attacked by two arrogant, old members, neither of whom ever had the decency to apologise or, at the very least, try to work things through. It was not pleasant, and it was a poor welcome. As a result I've never posted photos of my work, and probably never will. I don't need to be ridiculed by cowards who hide behind a computer screen.

I'm NOT suggesting that you're anything like that, TheWeatheringMan, not at all. It's just that someone of your experience could perhaps give a new member the benefit of the doubt. If you have a fair grievance, take it to the administrator. If it's just a difference of opinion, or a slanging match, surely you could rise above it? Your posts are valued. To lose them because of an argument would be a shame, especially in such an interesting thread. [Edit: I suppose that should be topic, not thread.]

Edited by Nedrahn

Guest spet0114

Hi Folks,

In the midst of all this motorising and stuff, I've made an amazing discovery.....these GBL models don't make bad display pieces!!

GBL1.jpg

GBL2.jpg

The above is my collection of small, pretty, pre-grouping locos. Just need a City of Truro to complete the set.

Cheers
Adrian

Edited by spet0114
  • Like 6

Talking of dodgy efforts, this is my ongoing attempt to make a K4 from the GBL K3 and Hornby B17 boiler. I'll push on but I fear it may finish up in the bin. Part of the problem is the soapy plastic of the Hornby oiler, which almost dissolves under a craft knife or sandpaper. The other part is my hamfistedness. I need to revisit the steampipes, but think I can sort them. I'll push on and fit steampipe and handrails, and I have the remnants of a Replica B1 which may supply a chimney. Then I'll place it 2 foot away, rather than under the unforgiving glare of a photo, and see how it looks. It's not my proudest moment thus far.

For anyone thinking of using a Comet chassis with the latest BR 4MT mogul, a good friend has assembled the frames for me, and I can confirm that, with the usual removal of plastic, the GBL is a perfect fit. Being a Bachmann clone, this was to be expected. But it was nice to have it confirmed

post-1659-0-28583700-1423341974_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Once again you get your facts wrong - on several past occasions I have stated that my information is based on telephone conversations held each weekend with someone at the 'production' side of things and is not speculation .....

Oh come on - where did I ever suggest that your information was speculation? What facts have I got wrong? Did I not acknowledge the value of your input?

I deliberately moderated my comments; I merely wished to inject a little balance. You were rather dismissive of King Pin's posting, weren't you?

Please don't take an attempt to defend someone who had the initiative to seek some information as a personal affront; your response so far smacks of 'taking your ball home'.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Guest spet0114

Hi, anyone have any idea when the 'western' issue is due on sale? Thanks

Based on KingPin's contentious list, it should be in 8 issues time, or 16 weeks from last wednesday. By my (hurried) estimation, this is 28th May.

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by spet0114

Guest spet0114

20th May, by my reckoning.

February 18th  Rocket

March 4th  Royal Scot

March 18th  Holden B12

March 25th  57xx

April 8th  N Class

April 22nd  Britannia

May 6th  Stanier 8F

May 20th  Western

June 3rd  J39

June 17th  County

July 1st  Lord Nelson

July 15th  Ivatt 2MT

July 29th  A1/A2

August 12th  Brush Type 4

post me nihil

Only one week between the B12 and 57xx? :)

My chagrin knows no bounds...

Redone:

February 18th Rocket

March 4th Royal Scot

March 18th Holden B12

April 1st 57xx

April 15th N Class

April 29th Britannia

May  13th Stanier 8F

May 27th Western

June 10th J39

June 24th County