Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Mike, yes I agree, but I now realise it's not really related to the topic, so perhaps I should look for another area to post in, either RTR mods or pre-grouping.

I like your analogy of the Axlebox guides and it's on that premise I'm altering my coach.
If, the buffer centres are brought in line with modern centres - 5'8", then the rod (wire) sits a tight fit behind the existing solebars, I'm sure I have some suitable buffer housings to use, and will probably utilise some 16mm dia. buffer heads I know I have, somewhere.
The coach will be part of an Engineers train, so authenticity is not 100% paramount. It will be alongside a 1859 Joseph Wright Coach, which I realise is some 30+ years after the L&M coach was built, and the layout is circa 1910.... Tell you what though, with this cold it doesn't really matter...  :no: 
I shall see how it goes, I'm currently have a very heavy cold, dosed up with ethnic remedies (Scotch), and eye sight that's of a mind of it's own..... 

Edited by Penlan

Mike, your enlargements show that what I took to be just running board supports are in fact proper steps, I wondered why they were off set as they are.
I still think I will go for continuous lower running boards though..

Edited by Penlan

Hello all, I've been rambling through this thread. I'm looking for a cheap(ish) way to make some ex NBR stuff, how would you say the T9 holds up to be made into a D34? Plus how does the wheelbase of the C compair with that of a J36?

Yours

ScR. 

Interesting, your probably right, but an enquiry to the National Railway Museum should solve it.

The Buffer piston design I find even more interesting, (was it coupled?) what in later design was done in about 18"or less, took a good number of feet, I suppose this was a result of not knowing the stress's, may be a good example of over engineering.

We have to understand that bearings and lubrication was in its infancy then, they only had horse drawn vehicle design to work from.

Paul

What's the wheelbase of a J36? I gave some Southern wheelbases, including the C, a few pages back.

8' + 8' 6"

Sorry Smiff, I did see that it and it slipped my mind.

J36: 7'.6" + 8'.0. 

At 4MM I'd say thats barely noticeable. Thanks

ScR. 

Sorry Smiff, I did see that it and it slipped my mind.

J36: 7'.6" + 8'.0. 

At 4MM I'd say thats barely noticeable. Thanks

ScR. 

i ave made a j36 using the gbl c class boiler, splashers and tender body with the rest scratch. i had to use a pannier chassis which has the wrong size wheels but i had a spare chassis lying around so now i have a j36 which has cost me next to nothing, not perfect but looks like. i will post a pic when i get a chance.

• Like 6

Post lost in cyberspace????

The L & M coach buffing gear appears to be an ingenious way of only using one spring per side rather than two. It also relieves the frame of some of the buffing shocks (cf continuous drawgear which this vehicle probably has as well). The coupling drawbar certainly extends beyond the headstock.

There was still a 'Scot' in Tilbury Asda this morning, but Greenhithe didn't have any yesterday.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

i ave made a j36 using the gbl c class boiler, splashers and tender body with the rest scratch. i had to use a pannier chassis which has the wrong size wheels but i had a spare chassis lying around so now i have a j36 which has cost me next to nothing, not perfect but looks like. i will post a pic when i get a chance.

Good choice, the GWR 0-6-0 layout was 7'3" + 8'3", so same overall wheelbase as the J36, just the centre wheelset 1mm out of position. That's practically unnoticeable, I have got away with much bigger deviations on various bashes from kit and RTR parts over the years.

I hesitated about posting these as really all I've done is renumber the loco to one which I have pictures of at Newcastle Central in 1962 on a Birmingham train. It's an easy motorisation if you feel it's worthwhile. Mine is on a Bachmann split chassis, with the tender on a Mainline chassis. Bothe are tight fits, so I didn't bother looking for screw points at this stage. At some point in the future  I may indulge in a kit to upgrade the model.

post-1659-0-97455800-1426331484_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-47608700-1426331508_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-18470900-1426331533_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I hesitated about posting these

Why? :scratchhead:

Seriously Rowanj, that's not only good modelling, but the info about the Loco identity and location is informative and useful too.

One thing no one, including me, has mentioned about the GBL Scot is the raised 'beading' (for want of a better word) around the edges of the cab sides. I don't recall it being there on the Mainline/Bachmann original and wonder (idly) what inspired GBL to mould it like that.

Regards

John

Thanks for posting your model John, this is the aspect of this thread I enjoy the most seeing these models being worked on. One area I feel we must commend GBL ,, on in this case, is the Orange and black lining on the tender and cab...superb. I have the non working Scot on my workbench...painted and weathered the motion...just on a whim....I will renumber with better sized numerals...it is a very nice model...as indeed have been a number of the series most of which repose in my loft with my large collection of working models. I suspect most will never be motorised, but i do enjoy looking at them.

One thing no one, including me, has mentioned about the GBL Scot is the raised 'beading' (for want of a better word) around the edges of the cab sides. I don't recall it being there on the Mainline/Bachmann original and wonder (idly) what inspired GBL to mould it like that.

I suspect it might be there to help with aligning the lining/number printing on the cabside? There were similar raised parts on the splashers of the Wainwright C (though I think they *were* copied from the Bachmann model) but the lining inside these was very well aligned on each of the 4 C classes I got.

Issue 30 the Pannier Tank is posted on the GBL site.

For good measure she will come with a shunter's truck! :nyam:

EDIT

Close examination of the tiny picture reveals Hornby wheels and wheelbase...... :O :nono:

Now do I need another shunter's truck?

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

That does indeed look like a Hornby chassis underneath the loco, which is a pity... the shunters truck, however, looks to be from the new model, and might be worth looking into, although I believe the RRP is only £10.95, so not *that* much of a saving (if any by the time wheels and couplings have been fitted). Might still be worth a look for bits and pieces, but I suspect that there won't be too many modellers going for this one. Perhaps a "Duck" from Thomas the Tank engine with a cheap chassis off eBay? 

• Like 1

That's good, we're keeping on the schedule customer services gave out. If that continues the N should be next. I want a couple of those...

Shunter truck with attached loco will be available in return.

Dick,

I know you're off for a hol shortly - any chance of a revised list of the possible future productions as I'm already in trouble with the 'accounts department' for buying more than the couple I originally declared that I was interested in! I've kind of lost touch!

Kind rgards,

Jock.