Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Just bought 31874 from W. H. Smith at Poole. I am modelling the Swanage Railway and I am pleased to see that it is a model of the only surviving one. This is being rebuilt into working order at Swanage and should be entering traffic here by 2016.

Hornby and Bachmann often do not make models of preserved engines so this makes a pleasant change and is a cheap addition to my collection.

post-17621-0-35183900-1429202297_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-99813600-1429202324_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Update: I've managed to break down the "N" into usable parts. The only difficult bit is separating the cab from the footplate: I found that a scalpel blade neatly breaks the glue joint, allowing the cab to lift off.

The footplate moulding is very very usable, so I'll be trying to lengthen it at the front to portray the re-framed 31874, and seeing if the Bachmann boiler and cab assembly can be mated to it.

Not if it looks like a roller coaster it isn't!

Still can't get the smokebox door off. 

Still up for getting another one via swapsies - if anyone's interested PM me for what I've got available - plus anything to come, less the Lord Nelson.

I'm wondering if it might be possible to use the chassis (if it goes all runny when I cut the footplate) on a Golden Arrow W Class to make a static model. GA reckon the mould is knackered, though, but I'm not afraid of a bit of work.

• RMweb Premium

While fettling a piece of plasticard to fill the gap between the firebox rear and the cab front, my eye was drawn to the power classification on the cab sides :-

4P 3F which looked wrong to me for some reason. Checking against the 'Anatomy of the N Class Loco' illustration in the accompanying magazine, I found they had printed 4P 5F, which to me would seem more likely.

Can anyone confirm the correct classification please?

A further question out of curiosoty; Did the Bachmann original chassis have the pronounced kink in the Con Rod as indicated on the GBL model?

All that aside, definitely one of the better models in the series and for once I count myself fortunate in not having any major assembly problems to contend with, just that gap mentioned above and a smoke deflector to re align.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

I just ventured a visit to the MRRZ site of the former foremost contributor to this thread, and the listing there has vacant 'TBC' slots for items 41 - 50. Given the general accuracy of past information from this source that does suggest a likelihood of more; dependent as one must always realise on the continued profitability of the series.

http://modelrailwaysandroadszone.co.uk/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=70

I broke the "N" down to its component parts by unscrewing a couple of screws.

The smokebox door and front ring has been modified by Amercom so that it includes a significant portion of the underside of the smokebox and the front of the saddle. You can also see that the boiler underside also appears to be a separate "plug-in" section. I put the Bachmann original next to it for comparison, so you can see all the reverse-engineering and fiddling that Amercom have done in order to differentiate it from the Bachmann original.

The interesting point to note is that, during the copying/cloning process, the boiler was clearly dislodged or disturbed at some point. This caused the joint ring between the smokebox and boiler front to slip, resulting in the joint ring being thicker on top than it is at the bottom. That also led to the boiler looking (incorrectly) like a full cone, as opposed to the flat-bottom taper that it should have. Not going to be easy to correct this. This also caused the firebox to look more steeply sloped on top than normal.

The cab is glued to the footplate, and running a scalpel blade between each side sheet should break the joint, allowing you to lift it away. The backhead looks a bit too big, and could be usefully replaced with a SEF casting. The chimney is probably the most awful bit, with a huge flared base - this can be replaced with a casting or turning; you'll need to do this anyway if you're portraying an engine with a Standard 4 exhaust/chimney (try 247 Developments or SEF for a suitable one).

Smoke deflectors pull out from the footplate and can be replaced by an etched pair (Mainly Trains or SEF).

The footplate moulding itself looks eminently usable as a convenient replacement for any Bachmann mazak casting that has shattered / disintegrated, which is what I intend, but it will need a fair bit of modification to ensure that the Bachmann boiler and cab can be seated correctly. There is a fair attempt at the AWS battery and vac. tank. The reversing lever is fairly awful, but could be replaced with a homemade one from brass or n/s strip. The massively overscale lamp irons should be replaced with etched ones (SEF or RT Models).

As mentioned earlier, SEF produce a fair number of kits for the Maunsell Mogul and its 2-6-4T derivatives, and every single casting and etching is available as a spare, so you really can pick and choose the bits you need if you want to make this a working model. Their chassis etches are the work of the late Alistair Rolfe.

post-6879-0-72557100-1429268587_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-79683200-1429268598_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-70408900-1429268621_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-70541400-1429268666_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-13278600-1429268701_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

for once I count myself fortunate in not having any major assembly problems to contend with, just that gap mentioned above and a smoke deflector to re align.

Regards,

John

Spoke too soon, just gone back through some of the piccies posted on here and realised that my GBL model is missing the entire Whistle assembly!

A rake through the spares box will be called for when I have time.

While fettling a piece of plasticard to fill the gap between the firebox rear and the cab front, my eye was drawn to the power classification on the cab sides :-

4P 3F which looked wrong to me for some reason. Checking against the 'Anatomy of the N Class Loco' illustration in the accompanying magazine, I found they had printed 4P 5F, which to me would seem more likely.

The Bachmann variant numbered 31813 also has "4P3F" (see my photo above)

I just ventured a visit to the MRRZ site of the former foremost contributor to this thread, and the listing there has vacant 'TBC' slots for items 41 - 50. Given the general accuracy of past information from this source that does suggest a likelihood of more; dependent as one must always realise on the continued profitability of the series.

http://modelrailwaysandroadszone.co.uk/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=70

Clicking on that link made me all nostalgic for the mid-1990s, when all websites looked like that.....

A further question out of curiosoty; Did the Bachmann original chassis have the pronounced kink in the Con Rod as indicated on the GBL model?

All that aside, definitely one of the better models in the series and for once I count myself fortunate in not having any major assembly problems to contend with, just that gap mentioned above and a smoke deflector to re align.

Regards,

John

According to Wikipedia it's 4P5F.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECR_N_class

Confirmed here

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/nclass_01.html

SWAPSIES!!!

I got the smokebox door off the N this evening, by prizing it apart with a scalpel, starting at the smokebox saddle. Getting rid of the handrail and number plate is proving tricky, it may be easier to get rid of everything and reinstate the hinges and dart.

• Like 1

Subscription copies arrived today, and I'm pleased to say that the N is far better than the ones I already have. Part of the motion is broken, but will glue back easily. May go for lined Southern green on that one, or wartime black with sunshine lettering. The 57xx and shunter looks OK, and that's up for swaps.

• Like 1

...I got the smokebox door off the N this evening, by prizing it apart with a scalpel, starting at the smokebox saddle.....

Mine is proving very well-glued.

There is no dart on a Maunsell door, BTW - only the fixing "dogs" around the circumference.

Drew the short straw today and had to the children into the centre of Gloucester, where I rarely venture, for the marathon morning session of music lessons, group singing, and junior orchestra, and so took the opportunity to visit Smiths and found another poor lonely N Class sitting in a large bin, pure compassion motivated me to reunite it with its classmates at home.  This is one of the best assembled GBL locos that I have yet encountered, everything that should be vertical (including the cab) is vertical, there is no gap between the firebox and cab and everything appears to be stuck on squarely.  Naturally nothing in life is perfect so there is a small splodge of red paint on the running plate.  But is shows you that there are some decent examples out there.

Oh well back to my Saturday chores...     

Edited by Brake Compo
  • Like 3

:offtopic:

You need a dial-up modem to really get that authentic experience....

I really like the squeeks and squawks from a 56K dial up line....it reminds me of cassete tape progarms loading to the early computers...you know, Acorn Electron, BBC Model B, Dragon 32, Commodore Vic 20 (and C64!), Sincliair ZX81 and ZX Spectrum, etc.....

Memories are made of this....silicon Memory modules that is....;)

• Like 1

:offtopic:

I really like the squeeks and squawks from a 56K dial up line....it reminds me of cassete tape progarms loading to the early computers...you know, Acorn Electron, BBC Model B, Dragon 32, Commodore Vic 20 (and C64!), Sincliair ZX81 and ZX Spectrum, etc.....

Memories are made of this....silicon Memory modules that is.... ;)

As I remember it dial up was rather expensive and you had to be very careful that you had disconnected at the end of every session.  An exciting technology though when I put a modem card in my Windows 98 desk top (which must have cost £1500, now that sort of kit has really come down in price, unlike model railways which...)

Now with my £7.50 a month sim only contract I can look at the internet anywhere on my phone.  Hasn't half moved on quickly.

No 'N' class in either Lakeside WHS or Greenhithe Asda*, just masses of orange stegosauri and 'cute' velociraptors at £5.99 a shot! :O Rather exorbitant especially, as Asda do rather nice dinosaurs at £1 each.

* The latter is SECR territory so possibly to be expected, though the 'C' did linger rather a while. There was still one in Tilbury when I was there last a few days ago.

• Like 1

I've done a bit of a make over to the first of my GBL Peaks. Its still unpowered and very much a static model. New cabs and modified bogies.

After modifications and painting

17003822140_d5241831db_z.jpg
S2180010 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Now lettered and varnished but awaiting glazing

16568913004_b5660574ae_z.jpg
S2200005 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Glazed and ex-works

17189692042_2b4af1aa39_z.jpg
S2240010 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

weathered and ready for 'service'

16983912927_7ddc1989ec_z.jpg
S2240011 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr